History 2010

Sparky

My favorite part of a rejection letter is when it says, "after very careful consideration..." I know the adcoms mean well, but the way this is phrased makes it seem like they are saying, "Trust us, we REALLY looked at your application and we REALLY don't want you." If I'm going to get a rejection, I would almsot rather them say, "We kinda looked at your application. Thanks but no thanks!"

Thanks for the congrats, Nytusse and VampireLincoln. I was fortunate enough to have a potential adviser there who apparently wanted to work with me and who went searching for funds, which were fortunately found. Contact your potential adviser there, Vampire. See what he or she can do. My undergrad adviser told me to do the same last week. By the way, I watched 'The Transient' yesterday. Impressive. The quality of the movie reminded me of 'Townies' (the movie). Good luck!

Thanks! That's awesome that your potential advisor is so awesome! What's your field, if you don't mind me asking? I emailed my PA and got a pretty basic "thank you for the email" kind of thing. Looks like just I'll be waiting for people to decline!

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed Transient! We had a lot of fun making it. I'm seriously really glad the history crowd enjoys it.

Edited by VampireLincoln

Thanks! That's awesome that your potential advisor is so awesome! What's your field, if you don't mind me asking? I emailed my PA and got a pretty basic "thank you for the email" kind of thing. A bit of a lukewarm response. Looks like just I'll be waiting for people to decline!

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed Transient! We had a lot of fun making it. I'm seriously really glad the history crowd enjoys it.

I sent you a PM.

My favorite part of a rejection letter is when it says, "after very careful consideration..." I know the adcoms mean well, but the way this is phrased makes it seem like they are saying, "Trust us, we REALLY looked at your application and we REALLY don't want you." If I'm going to get a rejection, I would almsot rather them say, "We kinda looked at your application. Thanks but no thanks!"

The best rejection letter, which I will admit I have only heard about by reputation (but from multiple sources, so I'm inclined to believe them), was apparently Duke Religion from a few years ago. Instead of the traditional "Thank you for applying..." the letter started off something along the lines of, "As you know, the Department of Religion at Duke is one of the top programs in the country..." :P

deuterides, I am with you on the Spanish wine thing, you can get a great bottle of Spanish red for around 9 bucks..Delicious...Having a glass right now as I peruse this board...

You gotta go with Chilean wine for cost/quality. You can find Frontera in bigger bottles for under $10. Something I'm going to miss though about not being in school is the finer liquors. I'm going to take a significant pay cut going back to school and I've developed a taste for fancy pants bourbon (bulleit) and gin.

deuterides, I am with you on the Spanish wine thing, you can get a great bottle of Spanish red for around 9 bucks..Delicious...Having a glass right now as I peruse this board...

I have to admit, I learned winemaking in Spain (also where I learned Spanish), so I have to pimp all those lovely Spanish wines

I'll admit that I am a beer man, but I do enjoy a good scotch every now and again.

As for Andre, yes, I have had that many times, and would have it again if offered. Have you tried Domaine St. Michele?

OK, where is Dflanagan? This thread is in some serious need of Andre solidarity.

I actually really enjoy white wine. If any of you have any suggestions for cheaper white wine, I would love to hear those.

This is seriously what I used to do professionally (and encapsulates a good deal of my historical research), so I the guy to talk/type to. I'm just going to go off of region and a average price of under 15 a bottle. France: Alsace or white Rhones. Alsatian wines will be sweeter and more floral while those from the Rhone will be dryer. Italy: Soave or Falanghina Spain: Any white is good, but particularly those from Rueda. United States: New York and Washington Reislings, Non-Chardonnays from California, like Viogeniers. South Africa: I have to give love to Chenin Blancs from Mulderbush. Argentina: Torrentes is a great varietal that goes underappriciated and is really exciting, especially with the occisional banana and rose aromas. Desert wines: A great option is a muscat from northern Italy, which is often under 15 dollars US, but sometimes more (I recently got a bottle for $18 here in New York).

Tourist, you already heard from Indiana? I'm still... uh, waiting on them and am very baffled how they are so late with anything this year. Have they made decisions already? I almost feel like cracking and just call up the grad admissions people tomorrow...

And NYU? That's gonna take forever.

Man, has *anyone* heard from Wisconsin about funding? I emailed their grad student coordinator, who said that fellowship letters were sent out last Wednesday. So I know I'm out of the running. But I'm surprised no one here has said anything about it.

Edited by VampireLincoln

Man, has *anyone* heard from Wisconsin about funding? I emailed their grad student coordinator, who said that fellowship letters were sent out last Wednesday. So I know I'm out of the running. But I'm surprised no one here has said anything about it.

I haven't gotten anything, which doesn't bode well, but my probable advisor there seems to think that the lack of funding is really only a first year thing, and really only a first semester, first year thing at that, although that could have been just for her advisees.

This is seriously what I used to do professionally (and encapsulates a good deal of my historical research), so I the guy to talk/type to. I'm just going to go off of region and a average price of under 15 a bottle. France: Alsace or white Rhones. Alsatian wines will be sweeter and more floral while those from the Rhone will be dryer. Italy: Soave or Falanghina Spain: Any white is good, but particularly those from Rueda. United States: New York and Washington Reislings, Non-Chardonnays from California, like Viogeniers. South Africa: I have to give love to Chenin Blancs from Mulderbush. Argentina: Torrentes is a great varietal that goes underappriciated and is really exciting, especially with the occisional banana and rose aromas. Desert wines: A great option is a muscat from northern Italy, which is often under 15 dollars US, but sometimes more (I recently got a bottle for $18 here in New York).

Gotta represent the Andre. That said, I had a great white wine at a book signing (my advisor is retiring and they had an event for him) but I forgot the make. Always looking for cheap wine, seeing as one of the requirements for the PHD at any top-50 institution is a near-constant intake of wine. A good white is really refreshing, because so much of the white wine served at academic gatherings is crap.

Tourist, you already heard from Indiana? I'm still... uh, waiting on them and am very baffled how they are so late with anything this year. Have they made decisions already? I almost feel like cracking and just call up the grad admissions people tomorrow...

And NYU? That's gonna take forever.

Ticklemepink, I heard from Indiana 2 weeks ago when I received an email that seemed like a waitlist, a "we'll accept you if we find the money to give you" type thing. I believe there was only one other one like that on the results page, so I don't know about the rest. However, my PA contacted me about their search for funds, and fortunately, they offered me an official acceptance today, detailing the funding and everything, minus when an admitted students' day would be. Indiana was my best fit of all applications and I'm more than 95% sure I'll attend. Just have to think of a way to survive on their stipend. Good luck and I hope you hear good news from them. By the way, have you heard from UMich? I got their rejection today.

I got into Notre Dame's (medieval) history PhD program after all! It's my Holy Grail of grad schools so I'm thrilled beyond belief. The liquor stores were closed when I got the news; I celebrated instead with vodka. :P

Edited by Alea Iacta Est

...so are they going to give any information to the rest of us who didn't receive university fellowships?

I got into Notre Dame's (medieval) history PhD program after all! It's my Holy Grail of grad schools so I'm thrilled beyond belief. The liquor stores were closed when I got the news; I celebrated instead with vodka. :P

That's so awesome!! Congratulations!!

...so are they going to give any information to the rest of us who didn't receive university fellowships?

I'm thinking they probably won't. They're keeping pretty silent about it, I think. Which makes sense, considering how sensitive a subject it is.