Where are the American Studies people!?

jlennon33

Where is everyone? To where are you applying? What is your focus? Have you contacted anyone? Met with anyone?

My applications are just about finished, and I need something, anything, to keep me anxious and neurotic. And yet this room remains eerily silent.

I'll go first - my interests include gender, consumerism, and contemporary American politics, and I'm applying to Rutgers, NYU, Harvard and Indiana (gender studies). Anyone else??

I'm applying to a combination of American Studies and History programs. Interested in 20th c. American (obvi), specifically political/social movements and music. Side interests are mainly in the popular culture realm.

Application places are in my signature... I don't even remember all the schools off the top of my head. Ha!

• 3 weeks later...

i applied to NYU's american studies program. i'm interested in political economy, Latin america, neoliberalism, and intersubjective reciprocity. i'm really hoping i get in cuz i think i would have a blast! unfortunately, no one is looking at non-profits there and that's the particular thing that i mentioned in my SOP. i hope that doesn't matter since my broader interests fit so well within the departments i applied to (i also applied to two anthro programs).

Like some of you guys, I'm applying to American Studies at Minnesota, Michigan, Brown, and USC. I'm interested in masculine violence and performance cultures in the United States.

Everyone remember to submit your results as they come in... I think they started admitting at Minnesota last year toward the end of January.

I don't think so. It was a personal email from a faculty member I'd spoken with earlier, not a general one from the grad school or department. If you look on last year's results, one person got something on January 24th, another on January 30th. My guess is they send out admittance emails individually over the course of a week, so it still may come.

i applied to NYU's american studies program. i'm interested in political economy, Latin america, neoliberalism, and intersubjective reciprocity. i'm really hoping i get in cuz i think i would have a blast! unfortunately, no one is looking at non-profits there and that's the particular thing that i mentioned in my SOP. i hope that doesn't matter since my broader interests fit so well within the departments i applied to (i also applied to two anthro programs).

Hey Sam. Just noticed we have similar app paths. I, too, did a combo of anth; anth of education and american studies.

cool! what are interests in education/the anthro of education in the states?

i meant to ask, "what are your interests in education/the anthro of education in the states?

for me, both anthro and american studies could work because my interests are so interdisciplinary and would benefit from ethnographic research and/or s more straith forward critical analysis.

i meant to ask, "what are your interests in education/the anthro of education in the states?

for me, both anthro and american studies could work because my interests are so interdisciplinary and would benefit from ethnographic research and/or s more straith forward critical analysis.

ditto.

I have the same interests; they just fit across different disciplines. So, I didn't tweak much for different programs. For me it's also about the methodology -- participant-observation and ethnography. I am concerned with urban universities, race, ethnicity, and state power. So that's american studies in that I think it's imperative to understanding the american social contract and then anthro because I propose to study contemporary urban communities of color that are in close proximity to formal state-sanctioned knowledge production.

Or, something like that. :D

I liked USC alot. I got great feedback but their deadline was so early I know they didn't get my best SOP. :/

Hey! I am a little confused. Is the Communication Arts-Media and Cultural Studies Ph.D at UC Davis part of the Cultural Studies graduate group program or is it separate? who got in? Details please.

Yes, I was wondering the same thing? I did try a sample entry in "submit results" and when you type in Cultural Studies, the pull-down menu lists Communication Arts- Media and Cultural Studies. And I don't think there's any separate field at Davis that would fall in to this category, so it must be CS? Congrats to the person accepted!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an American Studies person! The bulk of my research is the Southern house and its representation in literature, film, art and photography -- with a lot of spatial studies mixed in the boat. Schools listed below. Anyone else looking into concepts of physical space / habitation in American Studies?

dream catcher I called!

I was expecting to be told that all decisions were out but was told that decisions were coming soon. Also that we can check online via our application which will change the minute all final decisions are made. Who knows? Just stay neutral not positive or negative about it all...if possible.

good luck to everyone in the following days/weeks!