PhD Political Science --Mathematics and Statistics?

jule

Hello, 

I am an undergraduate looking to apply for political science or political economy phd programs this coming fall. I am a political science and economics double major, but have not taken many stat/math classes. There are online calculus classes available this summer, and I was wondering if taking such courses is significantly important in showing your quantitative research abilities and skill assets in the admissions process. 

As of now, I am working on my senior honors thesis in the econ department and studying for the GREs.

As the deadline for enrolling in the online classes is very soon, I'd appreciate any advice!

If you ask me, in terms of signaling your ability to do high-level math, improving your GRE math score would be a better indicator than taking a Calculus course. However, the question is how can you do high-level math without knowing calculus? So I would recommend studying for GRE in this summer and taking the Calculus course in your gap summer before beginning your Phd studies. 

7 hours ago, jule said:

Hello, 

I am an undergraduate looking to apply for political science or political economy phd programs this coming fall. I am a political science and economics double major, but have not taken many stat/math classes. There are online calculus classes available this summer, and I was wondering if taking such courses is significantly important in showing your quantitative research abilities and skill assets in the admissions process. 

As of now, I am working on my senior honors thesis in the econ department and studying for the GREs.

As the deadline for enrolling in the online classes is very soon, I'd appreciate any advice!

Your discipline could be different, but in my program, the required courses are in statistics, not calculus. Take a look online to see if there are course requirements at a PhD program you are interested in, and look at the prerequisites for the courses you would be expected to take. For example, at USC, here's a description of a course: POIR 610 Research Design   Units: 4  The course will cover the design of experimental and observational research. We will examine both quantitative and qualitative approaches to social science research.  Registration Restriction: Open only to doctoral students. 

For a course like that, it is expected that you have taken a college course in statistics. At the same school, here's that description: An introduction to the basic tools of statistics. Descriptive statistics; probability; expected value; normal approximation sampling; chance models; tests of significance. Recommended Preparation: MATH 040 or math placement exam. Not available for major credit to Math students. Instruction Mode: Lecture, Discussion

Your advisors in your department should be able to direct you to the prerequisites that are the most apt. Ask the advisors from whom you have requested a LOR. And make your LOR request soon, if you haven't already taken care of this.

It really depends on what type of methods training you want. If you want to do mainstream quantitative political science, then take statistics courses. I took an econometrics course the fall semester of my senior year (during application season) and it has helped immensely. However, if you wish to do something more along the lines of social network analysis and game theory (or wish to have methodology as your subfield) then taking calculus and doing well is important to your admissions chances. Thinking in terms of the bigger picture, the sooner you can get a good grasp on the basics of the statistics and math involved, the better it is for your career prospects since you can start research earlier and get a publishing record earlier.

If you do not wish to take classes, I recommend David Siegel's book "A Mathematics Course for Political & Social Research." I have been teaching myself using it this summer (starting my first year in the fall) and it's been a big help. He also has a corresponding series of youtube lectures to guide you through it. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrA2SLUKnV6yjdgIfDwFeGg

Hopefully this helps!

Thank you all for your responses!

Just a bit more on my background. I have taken introduction calculus courses, statistics, and also an econometrics course in the past with a A-/B+ average.

I'm still wondering if it's worth taking while studying for the GREs --not sure how much time that will take either. 

Just now, jule said:

Thank you all for your responses!

Just a bit more on my background. I have taken introduction calculus courses, statistics, and also an econometrics course in the past with a A-/B+ average.

I'm still wondering if it's worth taking while studying for the GREs --not sure how much time that will take either. 

In that case, you probably have enough math experience to enter a political science PhD program. I only had that econometrics course and still got into 7 programs. I would concentrate on studying for the GRE.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think that submitting a writing sample using quantitative methodology (hazard analysis with STATA) is a good way to signal strength in these areas? I only had two semesters of statistics (German university), but I did a lot on the side which obviously doesn't show up on the transcript.

On June 27, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Monody said:

Do you think that submitting a writing sample using quantitative methodology (hazard analysis with STATA) is a good way to signal strength in these areas? I only had two semesters of statistics (German university), but I did a lot on the side which obviously doesn't show up on the transcript.

It sends a pretty strong signal if the research design is good. Check with a grad student or faculty member at your university to make sure it's a quality sample.

You can put your experience with what you did on the side on your CV, it also sends a good signal. Also talk about it on your SOP if a part of it informed your research interests.