Film Studies

jh2805

Hey all,

Rejection letter came today from University of Chicago.

No big deal!

Just have:

Harvard

{Emory}

UTA

left to hear from

Accepted

USC

UCLA

Rejected

Cal

University of Chicago

Edited by Film_Freak

If anyone has received good news from Emory and will not be attending, or if you are on the waitlist and will not be waiting it out, PLEASE, please, please let them know. Soon, if you can. :)

Film_Freak: Yes. I received an email early this morning. Frankly, I'm shocked because my stats in a year like this...yeah. I don't know anything about the size of their entering class or my rank on the waitlist yet. I hope to know more soon.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to ask whether you've heard anything on your end.

Edited by Swagato

Hey Swagato!

That's GREAT!!!!!!!! Wow!

I haven't heard anything yet. I suppose I'll be hearing soon, though. Accepts and Rejects usually go out before wait-lists so I'm surprised.

Congrats to you too Supersmurf!!

Hope you guys get in.

Film_Freak: I don't know if Emory has already alerted the admits. Keep in mind that this is information I received personally from the professor I'm interested in working with, so maybe they haven't made "official" notifications yet. The trend shows Emory announcing rather late in March. I'm really crossing my fingers here. You're safe now, right? Think you got USC + UCLA? 'Grats on them. :)

Just got word today that I was accepted by NYU, although I think I prefer UCLA. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the two programs?

UCLA--accepted!

USC

University of Texas at Austin

UC San Diego--rejected.

UC Berkeley--rejected.

NYU--accepted!

Northwestern

University of Wisconsin Madison--rejected.

LA is the land of sun and fun. cool.gif

I'm not sure what you are interested in, Harvey. I know that UCLA is pretty has one of the best, if not the best film archive in the world. If you care about that sort of thing, UCLA is a good place.

NYU, I'm not too familiar with! I know that tuition is probably sky high. After one year you could get in-state at UCLA, which is half the cost of a private university.

Hope that might of helped, a bit.

I went to NYU for my MA and don't know a lot about the PhD program except that the living stipend they give you is $12-19K a year. At this rate you'll need 6 roomates since unless you are really lucky and find a gem in NYC, your rent will be really high and $12-19K a year will NOT be enough.

If anyone was waiting on UT for MA, I received a wait list email today, and it said they are done evaluating folks!

So this makes:

UCLA-Admit

USC-Admit

UT-Wait list

Cal-Reject

Harvard-Reject

U of Chi-Reject

Emory- ?

Come on Emory!!

Hey Swagato!

That's GREAT!!!!!!!! Wow!

I haven't heard anything yet. I suppose I'll be hearing soon, though. Accepts and Rejects usually go out before wait-lists so I'm surprised.

Congrats to you too Supersmurf!!

Hope you guys get in.

Thanks Film_Freak! Congrats on your acceptances (and to all the others as well of course)! Have to say that I don't know what to make of this waitlist-situation though. Should I be skeptical or hopeful about my chances of being accepted from the waitlist? So if anybody is going to reject his or her offer, keep me posted!

Good luck to all!

Supersmurf,

I don't really "get" the whole wait list thing either. But my impression is that if they wait list you, you were only edged out by a few people. Especially for Phd. I'm certain that wait list is a short-list.

Have you contacted the department at all to show more interest? Or to inquire about what place you are on the wait list? I'm not sure if this is advisable (it might be annoying to them) but it also might give you a clue as to how that concept shrouded in mystery (the wait list) works.

^ Is mostly true. Emory, for example, only admits 6 people to their MA program (which is what I applied to). Logically, the waitlist can't possibly be a very big one. I read that Emory's undergraduate waitlist is non-ranked. In fact, it says right on their webpage that they'll look for factors that would help "round out" the class, when they're taking people from the waitlist. I don't know how the graduate waitlist works, however. I did email the DGS back promptly and (hopefully) expressed my eagerness sufficiently without seeming too desperate. Emory'd been my top choice all along -- mostly because the idea of a funded Master's program offers both a good introduction to postgraduate study while not ditching you into the deep end. Coming from a small liberal arts college, I felt the Master's program would serve me best, and allow me to flourish without risking too much.

The final list is looking to be this...

UCLA -- Accepted

USC -- Wait List

University of Texas at Austin -- Accepted/Waiting*

UC San Diego -- Rejected.

UC Berkeley -- Rejected.

NYU -- Accepted

Northwestern - Rejected

University of Wisconsin Madison -- Rejected

*I still haven't heard from the RTF school, although I was accepted into the LBJ School. I need both to get in, however, since I applied to a dual degree program. Ugh, I wish I'd just hear so I can make up my mind...

If I don't get in at U Texas, I think I prefer UCLA over NYU. The program and the cost are both superior. But I don't know which one I'd choose if U Texas was thrown in there (or, for that matter, USC). We'll see. I'm just happy to know I'll be somewhere come August.

Congratulations to everyone else who has been accepted the past two weeks. :)

Nobody else heard anything from Emory yet I'm guessing? I don't know if the formal acceptances have been announced yet, however I'll reiterate -- if you have an admit/waitlist position and will be declining, please let them and me know. Thanks (and don't smack me for being eager :( )

Nobody else heard anything from Emory yet I'm guessing? I don't know if the formal acceptances have been announced yet, however I'll reiterate -- if you have an admit/waitlist position and will be declining, please let them and me know. Thanks (and don't smack me for being eager :( )

Hey guys,

Wondering why you are waiting on Emory. Do you think they have a better fin. package? Because even though Emory is a great school it isn't really known for its Film Studies program like NYU UChic, USC, UCLA, UT. Probably due to its lack of a dedicated doctorate program. And with only a MA you are not going to be able to teach at colleges ( unless you have something to boost your CV like publications or films that went to one of the major festivals)

Hey cinemadam!

Emory gives full tuition remission if you are let in. The chair of the department is very well known, though the department itself isn't world-renowned. It being a stand alone M.A. is also appealing, because the only focus of the department is you, rather than the spoiled little funded Ph.d's (kidding about the spoiled). rolleyes.gif

You can teach at community college with an M.A. and you can become a lecturer at a university with an M.A. with a great CV. Some people don't want to go on to get a Ph.d, and want to use the degree for other more professional goals, but would still like the option of teaching. Or, they want to go on to Ph.d later.

I think this program is well-known with senior academics in the film field. To outsiders or young-bucks, not so much. You bring up a good point though. What's everyone's thoughts on perceived prestige versus the real quality of a program? And while we're at it, add funding.

If anyone was waiting on UT for MA, I received a wait list email today, and it said they are done evaluating folks!

So this makes:

UCLA-Admit

USC-Admit

UT-Wait list

Cal-Reject

Harvard-Reject

U of Chi-Reject

Emory- ?

Come on Emory!!

So how long do you think it will take them to finish updating the site/emailing out the rejection/acceptance letters? I know there's not much chance of me getting in with their acceptance ratio, but I just need to know for sure!

Hoping some of you who have been through this process can help by answering a few questions...

I was rejected at 3 of the 4 schools that I applied to. I was accepted to my state university in the English department (although I can study film/literature there since their film program is actually under the English department). It's fairly affordable & I may get a TA position. I'm trying to decide if I should pursue this or should try again next year. So here are my questions.

1. For those of you who reapplied this year and gained acceptance, exactly what did you change about your app? I did ok on GREs (680V/730M) and had strong recommendations, personal statement. I think the 'problem' is that I've been out of the academic world since earning an MFA in 1997 so it was hard to justify my re-entry.

2. The programs such as NYU, UCLA etc -- are you having to pay out of pocket for these programs? When I looked it seemed this could run 40k/year -- am I missing something here?

3. What would you do in my situation -- go for it now or reapply next year?

Thanks everyone -- so glad I found this site, helped get me through the last few weeks!

Mmphin,

Are you talking about UT wait list? In the email they sent me they said that they will be updating by April 15th.

Just realized that your name was referencing that song.

It's my first year applying, but maybe I can help out.

1. With a MFA, they want to see research...which we kinda talked about before. It seems like when they see MFA, they get squeamish unless you have a substantial research background.

2. I'm in-state, so UCLA is actually 13,000 a year. After one year, out of stater's can get in-state residency. I may get a fellowship from the programs, but I won't know until April. I am also applying for outside funding.

3. I would research my tail off. Become a research assistant for a professor, look up independent research grants. Take an independent research course. Look up programs that give summer research. Research, research, research!!!!! laugh.gif

Your state university sounds great, especially with the likelihood of a TA position.

Edited by Film_Freak

Film_Freak -- Thanks, ha yes that was the only username I could think of while staying 'anonymous' ;) Your point about research is an excellent one -- to be honest that is somewhat of a new area for me (which is obviously why I was rejected). I did an honors thesis in undergrad but that was (ahem) over 15 years ago and on literature, not film. Plus -- not only do I have an MFA, but I've spent a 10+ career as a writer, filmmaker (and teacher) -- but not as a researcher. So... maybe it's really that 'simple' (and that difficult). Ok, so does this sound crazy...? I'm thinking of attending the state university so I can start taking classes again (and hopefully teaching/researching with a prof), have a better essay (maybe even miraculously get something more academic published), and *also* reapply next year. BTW Good luck getting the UCLA fellowship!!