Film Studies

jh2805

Anyone heard from UCSB Film and Media Studies? And to UCLA admits...when did you hear from them? My status has not been updated. So far I've been rejected from UT, Madison, Michigan, USC, and Indiana, so these are my last two hopes. I'm thinking I'll be giving next year a go.

I'm not PHD, so I heard a couple of days ago. I think the Phd's heard a while ago.

Can I ask when you heard from Michigan? I haven't heard anything yet.

I haven't heard anything yet either.

I did hear from Northwestern: Rejection. I saw another post on the board saying they were rejected via website. I checked myself and lo and behold.

I'm still waiting from Iowa, UCLA, Brown and Harvard. Likely these are rejects for me.

It's a brutal season. I'm waiting on Brown as well -- I see a few people have received notifications in response to emails. Guess I might email as well and see what happens. Also waiting on Harvard but err..I might die of shock first if that turns out to be positive news. U. Florida's silence is grating on me. Wish I knew whether they're done with admits already.

I haven't heard anything yet either.

I did hear from Northwestern: Rejection. I saw another post on the board saying they were rejected via website. I checked myself and lo and behold.

I'm still waiting from Iowa, UCLA, Brown and Harvard. Likely these are rejects for me.

It seems like a rejection letter is on its way from Michigan to me. I only heard from USC. They need to use website notice at least! Postal mails take so much time and I hate to hold hopeless hope.

Just heard from Brown...yuck!

So that leaves only Michigan, UCLA, Harvard and Iowa.

I don't think I'm getting into these schools which probably means I'm going to be 0/15 this year.

For those of you who got in, why do think you got in? I don't get it, I've been trying to get into a PhD program for 3 years with no luck. Aarrgg!

I have an MA in Media Studies, but it looks like I will likely be trying again next year. I think in this field it has a lot to do with faculty "fit". I received an interview with a top potential professor, great fit, but ultimately got a rejection. The letter was personal and very sincere, saying that there wasn't anything wrong with my application but that other applicants simply had interests that fit better with ALL members of the faculty. I think mine could have fit in with all the faculty, but I could have expressed that more clearly in the interview. So I know to work on that aspect more closely for the next round.

Hope that helps a little. Also, I get the feeling that Film/Media Studies is seeing a huge influx in applicants and a decrease in funding, as with most programs, so also, it's just a really tough time to be applying.

Anyway, for those waiting on UCSB, I emailed the grad coordinator and she said decisions should be finalized by next Wednesday at the latest. I'm expect a rejection, but remain VERY cautiously hopeful.

Oh, MFA! I would suggest applying to MA programs, especially with an MFA. They like to see research experience and the MFA might throw them off a little.

Like what was mentioned above, fit is super important. I would make sure to craft a personal statement that explicitly speaks about what professor/s you want to work with. That's huge!

Question: Are acceptances/rejections and that come via mail being sent to people's current or mailing addresses?

Film_Freak -- Yeah I definitely am lacking in the research area although I did an undergrad honors thesis. My problem is I applied very few places b/c I don't want to move. I think you're right about fit -- I met w/ someone at each place I applied but will continue to do that.

Is anyone here going to the Society for Cinema & Media Studies conference?

PS Not sure on the current vs mailing address since they were the same for me...

Maybe_Someday...do u have a master's? Or do u just have a BA?

It's nearly impossible to go strait from BA to PHD in this field. I tried! (Haha)

I have a MA from a top school but it's a tad more production oriented rather than research--which many say is my problem.

I think I'm an exact match with UT Austin since Mary Celeste Kearney and others are there and they are into girls' media culture which is my thing too.

There are so many apps for so little spots so I think you have to have a more than flawless app to get in and mine has a few dings in it.

Edited by Maybe_Someday

Hey all, here is my current statuses. Very nervous about the future.

Going for a MA, applied to schools known for a focus in television studies

NYU - waiting (supposed to hear back by March 18th)

USC - waiting (supposed to hear back by March 9th)

UT Austin - waiting (no idea on status update)

Royal Holloway in the University of London (UK) - accepted

Bristol University (UK) - accepted

East Anglia University (UK) - accepted

York University (Canada) - waiting

Unfortunately the UK offers did not come with much of a funding offer, and overseas fees there are far more than I can afford. So I'm really hoping for the US schools to pull through.

About me: I have fair marks, nothing spectacular, a B+/A- average, never been published, but was admitted to a somewhat influential training program last year and have a bit of an unusual academic background, tv studies being so rare

Mmphln,

UT Austin sent out some acceptances this week and will likely send out more acceptances/rejects next week. It's dope you applied to some schools out of the country. I had planned to, but didn't end up having the funds to pay for the few extra schools I wanted to apply to. One of them being University of Toronto, since I'm more on the film than television side.

Mmphln,

UT Austin sent out some acceptances this week and will likely send out more acceptances/rejects next week. It's dope you applied to some schools out of the country. I had planned to, but didn't end up having the funds to pay for the few extra schools I wanted to apply to. One of them being University of Toronto, since I'm more on the film than television side.

Yeah, I am a Canadian resident, so I applied to York to be on the safe side, the UK schools to be on the adventurous side, and the US schools on the hopeful side. Second time round, if I don't get into any this year, I think I'm done for grad school. I have a good job in my field so it won't be devastating, like it was last year.

But still, the waiting is driving me nuts. Especially since now I know that within two weeks my fate will be decided! Thanks for the update, and good luck

Does anyone know if the following schools are still deliberating? I haven't heard anything from them.

Emory (MA)

Harvard (PhD)

U. Chicago (PhD)

U. Florida (English - Film track PhD)

I don't think this year is my year, heh.

Does anyone know if the following schools are still deliberating? I haven't heard anything from them.

Emory (MA)

Harvard (PhD)

U. Chicago (PhD)

I believe U Chicago already made desicions. I already got my reject letter from them via postal mail a few days ago.

Emory (MA)

Harvard (PhD)

U. Chicago (PhD)

I'm on the verge of emailing Emory..... I've not heard a peep and that's the last school I need to hear from to make a decision.

Thanks for confirming Chicago. Per Dr. Bernstein's memo, I emailed him last Wednesday. I haven't heard anything yet. The trend shows Emory decides rather late.

"Decisions are still being finalized." I just got a reply from Michigan.

Thanks for the update on Michigan.

Any news on UCLA? Last year I heard from them bright and early in January and this year...not a peep yet.