Film Studies

jh2805

Ok guys, I need some advice:

I got into USC and NYU. I am currently living in LA, love it here, and want to eventually live here. I also love to travel.

My question is: Is it better to stay in LA and make connections at USC because I want to live here, or spend a year or so in NYC, something I will never have the opportunity to do again?

Academically, the programs are very similar and I love both schools, so it comes down to the experience/opportunities.

I was in the exact same boat as you in 2006. I'm from LA and I chose NYU and have NO regrets. You are right that you will never have a chance to experience NYC the same way again. While it's always possible to just move there when you want later in life, now is the time. NYC will change you're life! I lived there for three years and came back here(Los Angeles)after my MA at NYU.I'm so glad I experienced both worlds. I never really liked NYC that much but it toughened me up. Now I've got connections on 2 coasts.

There will always be time to make connections at USC and UCLA without being a student. There are so many ways to make connections without being in school in LA since SOCAL is a mecca swarming with filmsters. Go to NYC for a little while and then come back. Both will always be around and no matter what you're age or what anyone says, you'll always have time to make connections in LA. Don't rush it. Don't be sooooo focused. Try new things. It will help you tog et a change of scenery. Don't leave a chance like this in the dust. Live life a little and grow strong as a filmmaker and theorist by branching out a little. Trust me on this.

Telling other LA film junkies I was in NYC makes them jealous, want to talk to me and gives me a colorful history, is an icebreaker and has just enhanced my life soooo much.

Go to NYC and then come back to awesome LA when you are done. You won't regret it.

I was in the exact same boat as you in 2006. I'm from LA and I chose NYU and have NO regrets. You are right that you will never have a chance to experience NYC the same way again. While it's always possible to just move there when you want later in life, now is the time. NYC will change you're life! I lived there for three years and came back here(Los Angeles)after my MA at NYU.I'm so glad I experienced both worlds. I never really liked NYC that much but it toughened me up. Now I've got connections on 2 coasts.

There will always be time to make connections at USC and UCLA without being a student. There are so many ways to make connections without being in school in LA since SOCAL is a mecca swarming with filmsters. Go to NYC for a little while and then come back. Both will always be around and no matter what you're age or what anyone says, you'll always have time to make connections in LA. Don't rush it. Don't be sooooo focused. Try new things. It will help you tog et a change of scenery. Don't leave a chance like this in the dust. Live life a little and grow strong as a filmmaker and theorist by branching out a little. Trust me on this.

Telling other LA film junkies I was in NYC makes them jealous, want to talk to me and gives me a colorful history, is an icebreaker and has just enhanced my life soooo much.

Go to NYC and then come back to awesome LA when you are done. You won't regret it.

Thanks, Maybe_Someday! That's really helpful. You definitely seem to understand where I am coming from. I love NYC and do want to experience the city for a year and come back. However, I know it can be a lonely place. I know this may be a silly question, but do people in the MA dept connect & hang out or are people aloof and go their separate ways. I know its different for every year probably, but I was just wondering what you thought of the social-vibe of the department. Thanks for all your advice!

I technically wasn't in the Film (Tisch) MA program. I did the MA program through Gallatin (which I don't really reccommend). My feelings about NYU are that people do keep to themselves. Check out International House (www.ihouse-nyc.org). I lived there for three years for free (they gave me tons of scholarships). It's the best thing that's ever happened to me. I met so many incredibly amazing people there. I became so outgrowing, strong, openminded and assertive after being in NYC and especially I.House. I got a brand new life when I went to NYC and I.House and it served me well upon my return to LA. I.House is one of the ebst things to have ever happened to me. The people, the experience, the activities, the financial help....I can't even describe how it's changed my life for the better...

Everyone has a different experience so maybe you won't be as moved as I was but from what you are telling me it sounds like we are in the exact same boat and I can only tell you that the experience will be worth it. You'll always have time to come back here and build contacts. It's googd to have contacts in two places so why not try this. some filmies are sooooo into their craft that it is really hindering them beause it's too much. It's like they aren't even human. You will go through so much stuff in NYC that will seep into everyting you do upon your return. Do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! This forum is great! Looks like everyone is really supportive and provides good advice.

I'm still trying to decide on which program to attend in the Fall and would appreciate any advice! I applied to 11 schools, some PhD and some MA and was accepted to 4 MA programs. I wasn't really told anything about possible funding opportunities/scholarships/fellowships and when I've contacted these schools they haven't really been able to say whether or not there will be any type of funding available. I just finished another Master's that was fully funded for two years, but I'm not sure if it's common for people to pay for an MA in Cinema Studies?

Here's the schools I'm deciding on (all MA programs):

SUNY Buffalo (MAH Humanities, Film Studies)

San Francisco State University

NYU

Columbia

Any thoughts on/experiences with these programs? Also, how do all of you plan to pay for your schooling? Did you receive funding? Are you taking out loans? Etc.?

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone... Just curious -- are there really cases of getting rejected from top-tier programs (like Harvard Film Studies or Brown MCM) one year and then getting accepted the next? I was rejected this past year and plan to reapply, but decided to take another opportunity in the meantime (English PhD program at a not-so-great state university that offered me full funding and accepted my MFA credits).

Anyway, just wondering if there really are cases where a rejected applicant changed something on their app (or subsequently published, presented at conferences, etc) and the following year becomes one of those small handful of accepted applicants.

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I am applying for fall 2011 for MA+Ph D/ MA program for Cinema Studies. My background has been of Undergrad in Mass Media and Mass Communication plus with three years of on field experience in TV and Film Production. Don't have anything published and do not have any substantial film thesis done in my under grad that I could present, so mainly have to write a sample afresh.

Any suggestions for writing a good sample as well as making a good application.

What all would make my application a clincher?

And approx how many unis I should apply to considering the rate of rejections and which all unis I MUST apply to?

Your advice regarding application will be really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I would post here to see if we could keep this one going. I have all my apps in for 2011. Applying to USC, UW-Madison, and Univeristy of Michigan-Comm Studies this year. I've got good feelings about UW *crosses fingers*

Anyone else all done and in the waiting game now? Where are you applying?

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 months later...

Hey! Have all my apps in too, so far not too much movement, just a no from U of M's Screen Arts and Cultures PhD program. Still some left to go but should be hearing soon. Waiting is the worst thing in the world though, I've been trying to keep consistently busy but man, it feels like a long time!

Thought I would post here to see if we could keep this one going. I have all my apps in for 2011. Applying to USC, UW-Madison, and Univeristy of Michigan-Comm Studies this year. I've got good feelings about UW *crosses fingers*

Anyone else all done and in the waiting game now? Where are you applying?

Good luck to everyone!

I also applied to those programs for fall 2011, as well as Columbia, Wisconsin, Texas, Pittsburgh, and Emory. So far I've heard back from all of them except for NYU and Columbia, which are of course the two I want the most. The wait is killing me!

I applied to USC, UCLA, and NYU's Cinema & Media Studies MA programs for Fall 2011 and am still waiting to hear back from admissions. It sounds like they send their decisions around March 15-April 15.

Hey all! I was just wondering if anyone had heard from any of the Masters programs at:

Penn State

USC

or

Boston Univeristy

Or if you have any idea when I may expect a response. I read on here that the USC responses are generally pretty late but I haven't heard anything from the others.

Also does anyone know anything about University of Miami's program?

I heard back from USC Cinematic Arts MA on Feb. 25th, but I hear they can take a while for no particular reason.

Hey all! I was just wondering if anyone had heard from any of the Masters programs at:

Penn State

USC

or

Boston Univeristy

Or if you have any idea when I may expect a response. I read on here that the USC responses are generally pretty late but I haven't heard anything from the others.

Also does anyone know anything about University of Miami's program?

It's annoying that NYU is taking so long, especially since they had the earliest deadline of all the schools I applied (and they're the only ones I haven't heard from yet).

I like to be rejected in a prompt manner.

I have only heard from 2 programs and it's killing me and causing large amounts of anxiety... I wonder when they will tell me something pretty much 24/7. I would love rejection at this point... then I can just plan for next year.

I have only heard from 2 programs and it's killing me and causing large amounts of anxiety... I wonder when they will tell me something pretty much 24/7. I would love rejection at this point... then I can just plan for next year.

Anyone wanna claim the NYU- Cinema Studies PhD interviews on results search? I wonder how many are being interviewed.

They are interviewing 20 people for the 6-8 PhD slots. I hope that helps. Sometimes it's better to clear up any uncertainty.

Really? I'm surprised it is that many. I was pretty sure they cut their total number of spots way down this year.

I just got an email rejection yesterday from NYU -- it sent me to my application website and was linked from there.

Sorry to hear that... Was it for NYU's MA in cinema studies, or another program? I haven't heard anything back from NYU and I've been checking my email 24/7

Has anyone heard from Northwestern (PhD) or UCLA (MA cinema studies)? I called UCLA today and they said they won't be sending out decisions until the end of March or early April!! I got into a program that wants to hear back from me by April 1st so I don't know what to do!?!?!

I'm such a loser...but has anybody heard from NYU or Columbia MA programs yet???

NYU tends to be late with their MA notifications. I wouldn't expect it before April. I would also look for the notification in snail mail--possibly to your home address. I know they just finished with their PhD admits so if you haven't heard it's probably not a bad thing.