Film Studies

jh2805

Hey guys,

Wondering why you are waiting on Emory. Do you think they have a better fin. package? Because even though Emory is a great school it isn't really known for its Film Studies program like NYU UChic, USC, UCLA, UT. Probably due to its lack of a dedicated doctorate program. And with only a MA you are not going to be able to teach at colleges ( unless you have something to boost your CV like publications or films that went to one of the major festivals)

Hey cinemadam!

Emory gives full tuition remission if you are let in. The chair of the department is very well known, though the department itself isn't world-renowned. It being a stand alone M.A. is also appealing, because the only focus of the department is you, rather than the spoiled little funded Ph.d's (kidding about the spoiled). rolleyes.gif

You can teach at community college with an M.A. and you can become a lecturer at a university with an M.A. with a great CV. Some people don't want to go on to get a Ph.d, and want to use the degree for other more professional goals, but would still like the option of teaching. Or, they want to go on to Ph.d later.

I think this program is well-known with senior academics in the film field. To outsiders or young-bucks, not so much. You bring up a good point though. What's everyone's thoughts on perceived prestige versus the real quality of a program? And while we're at it, add funding.

Cinemadam: Film_Freak answered most of it. I'll add why Emory is my first choice. My undergraduate performance isn't that great, and I strongly doubt I'd have an easy time getting into a top PhD program. And as we know, grad institution really does matter if you're going to try and pursue a career in academia. Emory is a top-notch Master's program, and while it isn't a "famous" program, it is very, very well respected with academics in the field of film criticism. The department is rich in theoretical studies, plus they have an excellent film archive. Plus, it only accepts upto 6 admits every year. And lastly, I feel that an MA from Emory would allow me to prove my merits for PhD applications. So yeah, I'm really, really set on Emory. :)

That being said, I freaking wish things would get moving. Waitlisted status is in some ways worse than a direct reject/admit.

Cinemadam: Film_Freak answered most of it. I'll add why Emory is my first choice. My undergraduate performance isn't that great, and I strongly doubt I'd have an easy time getting into a top PhD program. And as we know, grad institution really does matter if you're going to try and pursue a career in academia. Emory is a top-notch Master's program, and while it isn't a "famous" program, it is very, very well respected with academics in the field of film criticism. The department is rich in theoretical studies, plus they have an excellent film archive. Plus, it only accepts upto 6 admits every year. And lastly, I feel that an MA from Emory would allow me to prove my merits for PhD applications. So yeah, I'm really, really set on Emory. :)

That being said, I freaking wish things would get moving. Waitlisted status is in some ways worse than a direct reject/admit.

@Film_Freak

I'm not speaking of prestige in the formal sense when I mentioned the list of programs but the overall opportunities that arise. As for the selective nature of the Emory program that is mostly due to lack of funding for more students(not all of it). Emory is dedicated to the Sciences not so much the Arts. Again, take no offense at this but if you are accepted into another program then don't let the money sway you especially not for two years of tuition. Now for a PhD that is another ball game completely.

@Swagato

You are in a different situation than Film_Freak and getting your foundation at Emory might work to your advantage. However do not be fooled into beliveing the hype. MA's do not get positions at colleges even community colleges in the Film Studies departments, anymore. Take a look at some of the advertisements on The Chronicle or HigherEdJobs. They want PhDs or ABDs. If you have enough production experience then you might be able to snag a position in the television or communications departments. However even in that area you are competing against seasoned professionals(producers,directors,DPs) who will do it as an adjunct i.e. lesser pay on the off season. Not to mention the celebrity guest lectures and seminars which in some schools is the norm. The entire time I was getting my MFA I was taught by retired DPs, directors, etc.

@Cinedam

I would think Emory lets in 6 because it fully funds all of them. Whereas places like USC let in 15 and fund one or two. Emory actually gives out more funding than USC or UCLA, if you take into account how many people actually pay out of pocket for these programs out of the amount they let in.

It's not so much a lack of funding from Emory, as it is that they ONLY let in people they fully fund. Conversely, the other schools let in more and make you pay up the wazoo! Most programs don't fund there M.A.'s at all. Emory has no Ph.d, so they fund, fully and entirely there M.A. class.

Most of the professors I have in my English and philosophy department, are actually lecturers with M.A. degrees. I'm at a small private with a limited (but big for it's size) endowment. Especially in this economy, why hire a Ph.d when you can hire an M.A. and make them do the same job for cheaper? I'm not an expert on any of this, but I'm just following that thought to it's logical end.

As far as the opportunities that exist at other schools, can you elaborate? Do you mean the number of opportunities increase at a well-known program?

@Cinedam

I would think Emory lets in 6 because it fully funds all of them. Whereas places like USC let in 15 and fund one or two. Emory actually gives out more funding than USC or UCLA, if you take into account how many people actually pay out of pocket for these programs out of the amount they let in.

It's not so much a lack of funding from Emory, as it is that they ONLY let in people they fully fund. Conversely, the other schools let in more and make you pay up the wazoo! Most programs don't fund there M.A.'s at all. Emory has no Ph.d, so they fund, fully and entirely there M.A. class.

Most of the professors I have in my English and philosophy department, are actually lecturers with M.A. degrees. I'm at a small private with a limited (but big for it's size) endowment. Especially in this economy, why hire a Ph.d when you can hire an M.A. and make them do the same job for cheaper? I'm not an expert on any of this, but I'm just following that thought to it's logical end.

As far as the opportunities that exist at other schools, can you elaborate? Do you mean the number of opportunities increase at a well-known program?

As an undergrad most of your teachers may have a MA but they are usually on the road to a PhD and are feeling the pressure to get one to hold onto tenure. They also have extensive teaching experience. Correct me if I'm wrong but it has been quite some time since they graduated. Times have changed. The MA doesn't have the same pull it once did. As far as funding, in each of the schools you mentioned they do have students who have a full ride. So they let in 14 students and 4 of them have a full ride and the rest have partial (assistantships).

@ Cinedam

The teacher's who are just MAer's are either older or adjunct lecturers.

When I accept an offer, I'll be sure to let everyone know how I faired as far as financial help! It may give you all some concrete insight for next year if you are reapplying.

Well, I don't really intend to attempt finding a job with just an MA. Like I said, for me, having an MA would actually help me when I am seeking to apply to PhD programs. I fully intend to apply to PhD programs at the earliest opportunity. :)

So apparently I've been accepted to the MAPH program at the University of Chicago. While I'm still in shock over how this could've happened, could someone direct me to the MAPH thread (if there is one) or otherwise help me find resources for funding opportunities? They're unable to offer me any institutional aid. Also, I'd love to know the pros and cons of the MAPH program in Cinema and Media studies compared to a direct MA or a PhD.

@swagato

And the crowd goes wild!!! Bite the bullet, buddy. Get the PhD. Worst case scenario you transfer out after a couple of years with an MA. Humm....don't know of any humanities grants that are still open. Good luck!

Anyone know whether or not UCLA only notifies admits by snail mail? I know the mail service in NorCal is running really behind this month, but this is getting awfully late. Any admits able to say when they heard? Thanks everyone!

Anyone know whether or not UCLA only notifies admits by snail mail? I know the mail service in NorCal is running really behind this month, but this is getting awfully late. Any admits able to say when they heard? Thanks everyone!

Hey filmnerd. Last week, I received my rejection from UCLA by snail mail. If you haven't heard from them yet, it might be a good sign. Although I believe that someone on this forum also mentioned that they will be sending out decisions over the next couple of weeks as well. It shouldn't take them too long anymore though.

Congrats on all your acceptances! Are you going for the MA or the PhD? That is quite an impressive list of schools you can choose from? Do you already have an idea which program you would like to attend?

Hey filmnerd. Last week, I received my rejection from UCLA by snail mail. If you haven't heard from them yet, it might be a good sign. Although I believe that someone on this forum also mentioned that they will be sending out decisions over the next couple of weeks as well. It shouldn't take them too long anymore though.

Congrats on all your acceptances! Are you going for the MA or the PhD? That is quite an impressive list of schools you can choose from? Do you already have an idea which program you would like to attend?

Hi supersmurf,

Thanks for your congrats. I applied to both PhD and MA programs because I'm just going to earn my BA in May. I'm almost positive I'll be going to Berkeley, but I'm one of those people who needs closure! Darn UCLA. They'll haunt me. Good luck with your decisions!

Okay, so I just noticed someone posted an Accept from Emory on the 8th in Results Search. Will that person or anyone else post here regarding whether they have heard any details? Size of waitlist, etc.? Thanks so much.

Congrats on the accept, and once again -- if you know you will be declining, please inform them and message me ASAP. Really sorry to sound like a broken record. :)

Okay, so I just noticed someone posted an Accept from Emory on the 8th in Results Search. Will that person or anyone else post here regarding whether they have heard any details? Size of waitlist, etc.? Thanks so much.

Congrats on the accept, and once again -- if you know you will be declining, please inform them and message me ASAP. Really sorry to sound like a broken record. :)

Hello there Swagato. I'm the one who posted that. While I have accepted Emory's offer, I've been told that admits have sometimes dragged their responses out til April 15th. I think the wait list is 6 just like the admit list but I'm not totally sure about that. Congrats on Chicago and best of luck with Emory! :)

@ Filmnerd I got into UCLA by email, and then with a phone call a few weeks ago. I still haven't gotten an acceptance packet, though.

I sure wish that packet would come in the mail.

Have you decided between USC and UCLA?

I have been notified that all of the SCU decisions were put in the mail on friday (at least for the peter stark program). The advisor on the phone was so pleasant, she told me that she would scan in my decision letter and email it to me right away.

I did not get in, which is quite sad, it was my first choice

Edited by Mmphln

A case of writing dyslexia, I meant USC of course

I have been notified that all of the SCU decisions were put in the mail on friday (at least for the peter stark program). The advisor on the phone was so pleasant, she told me that she would scan in my decision letter and email it to me right away.

I did not get in, which is quite sad, it was my first choice

For those waiting for notification from Michigan's Screen Arts and Cultures, I got this email today from a Dept. Rep:

"Applicants will be notified of admissions decisions in early April. The committee is still finalizing their decisions. As soon as decisions have been finalized, we will send out notification to applicants."

Good luck!