Film Studies

jh2805

I applied to the M.A. program at the following schools:

NYU - Accepted

USC - Waitlisted

UCLA - Rejected

UT Austin - Rejected

Columbia - Waiting

Is anyone else planning on attending NYU in the fall for Cinema Studies? Also, does anyone have a clue as to how many students are in the M.A. program?

Edited by buc-ee's

NYU - Accepted

USC - Waitlisted

UCLA - Rejected

UT Austin - Rejected

Columbia - Waiting

Is anyone else planning on attending NYU in the fall for Cinema Studies? Also, does anyone have a clue as to how many students are in the M.A. program?

I haven't heard anything from NYU yet...I phoned today and they said they should have everyone notified by March 25th (not likely I'll get in though)

NYU - Accepted

USC - Waitlisted

UCLA - Rejected

UT Austin - Rejected

Columbia - Waiting

I was also accepted into NYU and will be attending unless I get into Columbia and they will pay for my whole education. I think they take about 40-50 students, but thats just a guess that I feel I heard somewhere. I see your also waiting on Columbia. Did you notice that NYU's deposit is due before Columbia's decisions come out? I emailed asking for an extension, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

I was also accepted into NYU and will be attending unless I get into Columbia and they will pay for my whole education. I think they take about 40-50 students, but thats just a guess that I feel I heard somewhere. I see your also waiting on Columbia. Did you notice that NYU's deposit is due before Columbia's decisions come out? I emailed asking for an extension, but they have not gotten back to me yet.

I've sent in my deposit and am definitely leaning towards NYU, but would like to hear from Columbia & USC waitlist before I make a final decision. I checked NYU's website which says they have around 30-35 students in the program (but that may fluctuate). I hear Columbia lets people know March 25th, so we should hopefully know in the next few days. Good luck!

I don't suppose there is still any formal word from Emory anywhere..? I'm getting really antsy because I need to decide on one by April 22nd while staring at my first choice (Emory) hoping for something positive.. >_<

Surprisingly, after I resigned myself to my expensive (but top-choice) school, this morning I received a letter from York University offering me full funding. So wow, my plans changed really quick! I'm so glad this month of checking application statuses and opening my email in dread is over..It's not a top-choice school like many of you got into, but I am more than pleased with the result.

@ Swagato

Emory's new graduate school online application messed up a lot people's applications, and that's likely why it's taking so long and has taken so long to hear anything.

@ UCLA kids. No one will receive an acceptance packet until Mid-April, they don't come until late in Spring Quarter. Don't worry about it.

That's a useful piece of info, Film_Freak. However, I received an official notification from the Laney Graduate School yesterday alerting me that they won't be offering me admission this year. I emailed Dr. Bernstein and he was gracious enough to respond almost immediately -- said he's going to the airport at that time and will respond to me in detail next week. I suppose I shall just have to wait. It's a bit odd that the notice came on March 26th. My suspicion is all 6 who were offered admission accepted it, or I just wasn't the very next waitlisted person. Either way, a decision when April 15th is still far away seems to indicate either of those two things.

Got the official rejection notice from UT this morning. Looks like I am going to UCLA. I hope the official admit from the college comes soon (I've just been notified by the department so far).

Hey Harvey,

That was the official notification! I am admitted as well and will be attending in the fall, it was about a week or so before I figured out how to let them know I was attending and I just had to email Brian (I am assuming he was the one to email you). From what I understand, an informational pack will come in April or maybe even later.

Anyone know whether or not UCLA only notifies admits by snail mail? I know the mail service in NorCal is running really behind this month, but this is getting awfully late. Any admits able to say when they heard? Thanks everyone!

Hi filmnerd,

I also got an acceptance email from UCLA on March 1st. It seems odd that you haven't heard back yet, unless you were applying for the PhD (which I believe someone said that they will be sending out letters into April).

To those going to UCLA - Have you received your acceptance packet in the mail yet?

Hi cinema studies,

I was accepted into UCLA's M.A. in Cinema and Media Studies on March 1st, and from what I understand packets are sent out until April or later! The email notification is the "official" notification! Tecnology! I was worried as well, but after asking about registering for classes and being told that the info for that will come in an orientation packet in the "summer", I relaxed a bit. Also, my financial aid started being processed!

• 2 weeks later...

I visited the University of Chicago over the 11th and 12th for their campus visit days. What can I say? It was love at first sight. I've considered the hefty price tag for the MAPH, I've spoken with the outgoing and incoming directors, faculty members of the CMS department, and in the end I do feel that the MAPH offers a remarkable opportunity to academic-career-inclined people who have an unusual background. The sheer breadth and intensity of the MAPH seems like a terrific opportunity for me to fill in some gaps in my academic career and on top of that, can potentially add an excellent credential. Beyond that, I loved what I learned of UChicago's approach to film studies and the current work going on there.

An added bonus is that I love the arts/culture scene in Chicago and I really miss living in a thriving metropolis. So yeah, here's to UChicago come September '10.

Luck you. it's nice to find a fit like that and ahve something to look forward to in the months ahead. I hope it's every bit as good as how it seemed to be when you visited. I heard so much great stuff about that school. Best of luck to you.