Film Studies

jh2805

I just heard from NYU today, success! Best of luck to all of you who applied there!

NYU tends to be late with their MA notifications. I wouldn't expect it before April. I would also look for the notification in snail mail--possibly to your home address. I know they just finished with their PhD admits so if you haven't heard it's probably not a bad thing.

Does anyone know how competitive NYU's Cinema Studies MA is? And for those of you who got in, what were your stats? I got in for the fall but I had a TERRIBLE GRE score, aprox. 3.6 GPA, double major in English/International Affairs, great rec letters (2 from former NYU alumni), pretty great writing sample that was quite original (according to a professor), and a good sop.

Originally NYU was my first choice, but I'm beginning to doubt the quality of the education I'm going to get there. Not to mention, they offer MA students little to zero funding, and quite frankly I don't know if I want to be in debt $50,000 at the end of an 18 month program. Also, I dislike that there's no thesis option. Instead they require the comp exam. I must admit I'm a little disappointed due to the negative comments I've heard surrounding NYU's program. I know a couple recent graduates who said they didn't feel prepared AT ALL for a PhD after graduating from the CS program and I also know a PhD alumni who claimed to not have learned anything while being there. Supposedly it's one of the top programs, but I wonder about percentages of acceptance. It could be that the program is only renowned because IT IS NYU, not because the students actually receive good educations. NYU's mentality (at the MA level) seems to be "get them in, get their money, get them out..." which isn't comforting when I think about the fact that I will likely be indebted to them for life. Honestly, SFSU's program seems to be slightly better, despite the fact that is not as well-known.

Any advice from former MA graduates or current Cinema Studies students would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know how competitive NYU's Cinema Studies MA is? And for those of you who got in, what were your stats? I got in for the fall but I had a TERRIBLE GRE score, aprox. 3.6 GPA, double major in English/International Affairs, great rec letters (2 from former NYU alumni), pretty great writing sample that was quite original (according to a professor), and a good sop.

Originally NYU was my first choice, but I'm beginning to doubt the quality of the education I'm going to get there. Not to mention, they offer MA students little to zero funding, and quite frankly I don't know if I want to be in debt $50,000 at the end of an 18 month program. Also, I dislike that there's no thesis option. Instead they require the comp exam. I must admit I'm a little disappointed due to the negative comments I've heard surrounding NYU's program. I know a couple recent graduates who said they didn't feel prepared AT ALL for a PhD after graduating from the CS program and I also know a PhD alumni who claimed to not have learned anything while being there. Supposedly it's one of the top programs, but I wonder about percentages of acceptance. It could be that the program is only renowned because IT IS NYU, not because the students actually receive good educations. NYU's mentality (at the MA level) seems to be "get them in, get their money, get them out..." which isn't comforting when I think about the fact that I will likely be indebted to them for life. Honestly, SFSU's program seems to be slightly better, despite the fact that is not as well-known.

Any advice from former MA graduates or current Cinema Studies students would be much appreciated.

I don't know much about NYU's program but I can say I did not personally apply despite its reputation. After hearing that it is so expensive and brutal I don't think I would want to go. Just because a school is good for filmmaking does not mean it is good for film studies. I also do not know your profile but I would say that I've found it hard to find programs that balance the media glamour of studying to become a critic with a serious academic reputation. If you are attracted to the glamour then perhaps NYU is a good fit. It is all about location and I have to say it is important. I'm waiting on Penn State with an acceptance from Boston University and I honestly think that the city life is probably better for building connections.

Although this mostly sounds like a rant I guess it comes down to what you want to do with your masters.

In General, I can say that the acceptance rate of grads (to PhD programs from MA) is not as high as it might be for other programs. Mostly, this is bc the MA program is huge. However, NYC is one of the best places to do cinema research and immerse yourself in the independent cinema world. What I would also caution is that they do not actually take a ton of their own MAs straight into the PhD program upon MA completion. It's usually about 1 student. They do try to reserve spots for MA alums from previous years but it's not the gaurenteed spot that you might think it is. True, there isn't a ton of funding for MAs but there is some. You can reapply for funding after the first year and you might get some. Does this help?

In General, I can say that the acceptance rate of grads (to PhD programs from MA) is not as high as it might be for other programs. Mostly, this is bc the MA program is huge. However, NYC is one of the best places to do cinema research and immerse yourself in the independent cinema world. What I would also caution is that they do not actually take a ton of their own MAs straight into the PhD program upon MA completion. It's usually about 1 student. They do try to reserve spots for MA alums from previous years but it's not the gaurenteed spot that you might think it is. True, there isn't a ton of funding for MAs but there is some. You can reapply for funding after the first year and you might get some. Does this help?

Yes. It does, because I'd heard that they ONLY like to take their own. My main concern again though, WAS the size of the program and it's competitiveness. If they let in just anyone into their MA program, how great of a program can it be. In comparison to some of the other MA programs, NYU is quite large, as you also said. I do not want to pay for a name. I want an education that is worth the extravagant amount it costs. Furthermore, from my understanding several recent graduates of the program weren't accepted into a single PhD program, which is slightly disconcerting. My primary reason for choosing NYU's MA program would be it's location (with the hope of increasing my chances of acceptance into the PhD.) However, seeing as how I'm unsure whether or not I even WANT a PhD in Cinema/Film studies, I could just as easily go to CUNY (CSI) and pay less than $20,000 for my MA, instead of $60,000.

Edited by jam92307

Furthermore, from my understanding several recent graduates of the program weren't accepted into a single PhD program, which is slightly disconcerting. My primary reason for choosing NYU's MA program would be it's location (with the hope of increasing my chances of acceptance into the PhD.) However, seeing as how I'm unsure whether or not I even WANT a PhD in Cinema/Film studies, I could just as easily go to CUNY (CSI) and pay less than $20,000 for my MA, instead of $60,000.

As someone who was accepted into a few PhD programs for film and media, I can say that I met many people who finished their MAs at NYU and were accepted into PhD programs. Additionally, many other people I met in opening weekends had also come from cinema studies programs for their MA. However, I also know many people (myself included) that were accepted into a Film/Media PhD from English, creative writing, and other Humanities MA programs. Ultimately in your MA year(s) it is about the work you produce, the quality of your research, and your ability to speak about your place in the field. In all of my interviews I was asked to articulate not just why I wanted to go to such and such school or my research, but rather how my work and interests fit into a broader critical discussion. Did I recognize how my work was similar or different to previously published work?, etc.

Quality time with faculty and time to do your research (which will ideally produce better, more informed work) is more important than a prestigious name. If you can do both at NYU over another place then go for it. Your recommendations, writing sample, and SOP will be more important than your pedigree. One reason to go to a school with known faculty is to cultivate relationships with them not just as a means to an end, but as a long term professional relationship (which will also hopefully translate into their connections at other institutions). So you really should be asking how much time students (who actually try and not just whine because it wasn't automatically handed to them) spend with professors, and how willing professors are to look over work in progress and research questions.

So, In answer to your concerns. NYU MA cinema studies students get into PhD programs (good, competitive schools), but you do not need to go to NYU cinema studies for your MA to be able to compete for those same PhD slots.

I'm such a loser...but has anybody heard from NYU or Columbia MA programs yet???

I got word of acceptance to NYU about two weeks ago. They notified via email. Also, was just contacted via telephone regarding acceptance into Columbia. I think they are also sending out packages of everything in hard copy via reg mail. Good luck!

As someone who finished both the MA and PhD program in the Cinema Studies department at NYU, hopefully I can help clear some things up.

The department has cut their PhD cohort down to 4 spots. Last year it was 6. In previous years it was 8. These cuts were not wanted by the department or the faculty, but were ordered by the university.

When the cohort was 8, typically 1-3 NYU Cinema Studies MA students made it into the PhD program. Now that the cohort has been reduced to 4, I am not certain how this has changed.

To my knowledge, they have never accepted someone in to the PhD program who did not already have an MA.

At the same time, the university has increased the size of the MA cohort. When I attended the MA program in the early 2000s, there were about 20 of us. During the end of my PhD coursework the MA group was around 45! I can only imagine its gotten larger since then. Again, this is not something the department or faculty wanted, but something demanded by the university.

In my opinion, the MA program is not very competitive at this point because of its size, though this does not mean you will not receive an excellent education if you attend. A large number of the MA students are not fit to be graduate students. Many of them are just 'into movies', and attend to avoid getting a 'real job'. Others want to become film critics and seem to think that an MA is the path into this profession. A handful of others want to be curators or programmers, and again seem to think this will help them pursue that profession. Only a few are serious about pursuing an academic career in cinema studies.

In terms of funding, a couple MA students receive some funding during the first year. In the past there have always been additional funds available for the second year for the best performing students. You need to aggressive about asking for funding from department administrators, just don't be annoying.

Regarding the lack of a thesis - if you want to write an MA thesis, you can. I did. Simply take a directed reading with a faculty member and let them know you want to write a thesis. They will help you. In my opinion, if you are not already undertaking extended research and writing projects outside of a class assignment, then you don't really belong in a PhD program.

The MA comp exam is good preparation for the NYU PhD program, in which you have you take two more comp exams. They are administered over Spring Break and Thanksgiving Break. They aren't fun to take, but they aren't terribly difficult.

Basically, the Cinema Studies MA program is great, if you're serious about a career in academia and make the most of your time there. Have a clear idea of what you want to work on and how you want to approach it. Seek out faculty with similar interests and forge relationships with them. Figure out who the other serious academics in your cohort are and become friends with them. Try to publish at least a few book reviews and present at a conference or two during your time in the MA program.

Finally, you should only apply for the Cinema Studies PhD program at NYU if your project is a good fit for the department. Is there a faculty member who would serve as your advisor? If so, forge a relationship with them before you apply and have them in your corner when you apply. If you want to work on new media or Eastern European cinema you might have a hard time finding a faculty member to get behind your project. Figure out who the faculty are and what they are interested in.

Ultimately, though, this advice is only helpful if you don't have something else holding you back. If you have a terrible personality that makes it difficult for you to make friends, if you have problems handling a heavy workload, managing stress, completing work on time, if you complain too much - these are things that will hold you back and prevent you from moving from the MA program into the PhD program.

In my opinion, the MA program is not very competitive at this point because of its size, though this does not mean you will not receive an excellent education if you attend. A large number of the MA students are not fit to be graduate students. Many of them are just 'into movies', and attend to avoid getting a 'real job'. Others want to become film critics and seem to think that an MA is the path into this profession. A handful of others want to be curators or programmers, and again seem to think this will help them pursue that profession. Only a few are serious about pursuing an academic career in cinema studies.

I would say this is a very accurate portrait of the MA students. I would also add that very few of the students have any idea what PhD work or advanced research entails. As a result, you will occasionally encounter students that believe they want to do PhD and are "hardcore" but really are more interested in the prestige of the designation. This is true of PhD applicantion pools in general but it can be somewhat socially frustrating if you are in a large MA program and students enjoy the department politics game a bit too much. But I do think if you are a serious student and can easily absent yourself from the drama you can do well at NYU. Just don't listen to all the myths and rumors that are constantly circulating among the MAs. Very few have any clue what they are talking about.

Others want to become film critics and seem to think that an MA is the path into this profession.

Isn't this a possibility after seeking a masters? I always assumed this was an option. Although I'm a very devout academic, I have thought that studying at the masters level would help you get into the field as well... otherwise what do cinema studies students do if they're not interested in getting a PhD? I am still interested in getting a PhD however I'm not sure if I'll be so gung-ho after two more years of research to go into the PhD track right away. What kind of practical experience can you expect after getting this degree?

Isn't this a possibility after seeking a masters? I always assumed this was an option. Although I'm a very devout academic, I have thought that studying at the masters level would help you get into the field as well... otherwise what do cinema studies students do if they're not interested in getting a PhD? I am still interested in getting a PhD however I'm not sure if I'll be so gung-ho after two more years of research to go into the PhD track right away. What kind of practical experience can you expect after getting this degree?

I know quite a few film critics, some with MAs in film studies, others with degrees in other fields, others with no degrees in anything. An MA will not help you become a film critic. Editors do not care what's on your CV, but care about how you write, how well your tastes fit with the demographic of the publications, and how reliable you are in meeting deadlines. Though this is a sad comment on the state of much of popular film criticism, it's my opinion than an MA in film studies would make you less desirable as a film critic, making you seem 'too academic'. Also, almost no one makes any sort of a living working as a film critic. Most 'professional' film critics I know do it as a sideline while working other jobs.

Some of the graduates I know from NYU's Cinema Studies MA program that did not pursue a PhD work as publicists, baristas, bankers, public school teachers, photographers, librarians, t-shirt printers, documentary filmmakers and secretaries. I don't think their MA study helped them prepare for any of these various positions in any significant way.

Also, not to seem overly negative, but if you are already worried about academic fatigue, I'd be wary of heading down the graduate film studies path. It takes tremendous dedication just to make it through the MA and PhD and then dissertation; it takes an almost inhuman level of focus and productivity to stand out as the best among those who've made it.

Also, not to seem overly negative, but if you are already worried about academic fatigue, I'd be wary of heading down the graduate film studies path. It takes tremendous dedication just to make it through the MA and PhD and then dissertation; it takes an almost inhuman level of focus and productivity to stand out as the best among those who've made it.

While I appreciate the candid concern it's not so much that I think I will be fatigued just that I will probably want to work as a critic as well as studying for my Phd. However, you seemed to imply that it is mostly a sideline anyway so that may be perfect. I did read online that some people feel the degree makes you over-qualified for criticism although others said that it's mostly about writing well and submitting to the right places as you also seemed to verify. Thank you for the advice and clarification.

Is there a such a thing as a career as a film critic anymore? I'd ask some film critics b/c the ones I know seem to think they're hanging by a thread...

Based on the response I recieved I would think not. I just think it would be nice to write about movies for a less narrow audience than the academic field. While I enjoy writing at the academic level I write about a lot of media that's meant to influence the public's opinion and change the way people think. However, how many people can you reach if you don't write for some mainstream publications? Perhaps I'm naive but my professors in the past have been very supportive of this goal and after presenting at an academic conference and recieving a lot of positive feedback and attention to my work I do think it's possible to make a difference by writing about movies if you write for the right publications. While I know this is not the point of film critics I feel that writing reviews might gain later attention to my academic work by those in the mainstream. However, this is probably just an optimistic pipe dream

Edited by Silent_Bobina

Based on the response I recieved I would think not. I just think it would be nice to write about movies for a less narrow audience than the academic field. While I enjoy writing at the academic level I write about a lot of media that's meant to influence the public's opinion and change the way people think. However, how many people can you reach if you don't write for some mainstream publications? Perhaps I'm naive but my professors in the past have been very supportive of this goal and after presenting at an academic conference and recieving a lot of positive feedback and attention to my work I do think it's possible to make a difference by writing about movies if you write for the right publications. While I know this is not the point of film critics I feel that writing reviews might gain later attention to my academic work by those in the mainstream. However, this is probably just an optimistic pipe dream

All due respect, but you are, in fact, being naive. Hoping that you will be the one writer able to bridge the gap between popular and academic publishing is like hoping you will be the first human to walk on the face of the sun. You won't.

Professors are generally supportive of conscientious students, and conferences are full of positive feedback; most of it is not very useful. You will really know how your work stands once you start receiving negative feedback. Again, this is not meant to be discouraging; by all means, pursue a PhD in film studies but be realistic about what it is possible to achieve.

As an academic, unless you end up authoring an introductory textbook, the largest readership you can hope for is a couple thousand other academics, and that is being generous. Non-academics won't, and usually can't, read academic writing. Even Bordwell and Thompson is impenetrable for many undergraduate non-majors.

If you want to reach a larger audience, start a blog.

All due respect, but you are, in fact, being naive. Hoping that you will be the one writer able to bridge the gap between popular and academic publishing is like hoping you will be the first human to walk on the face of the sun. You won't.

Professors are generally supportive of conscientious students, and conferences are full of positive feedback; most of it is not very useful. You will really know how your work stands once you start receiving negative feedback. Again, this is not meant to be discouraging; by all means, pursue a PhD in film studies but be realistic about what it is possible to achieve.

As an academic, unless you end up authoring an introductory textbook, the largest readership you can hope for is a couple thousand other academics, and that is being generous. Non-academics won't, and usually can't, read academic writing. Even Bordwell and Thompson is impenetrable for many undergraduate non-majors.

If you want to reach a larger audience, start a blog.

I actually am working on a blog as we speak. I don't mean to be naive, it's simply a goal. In my experience the bigger goals you set the more you will accomplish. Perhaps that's just how I work but my idealism has served me well so far. I do not believe I will achieve this goal but I will do everything I can to try and change what I believe is the fault of the academic community to be content with merely reaching each other. Whether or not this ever happens I do not know but I know it never will if people don't try.

I got word of acceptance to NYU about two weeks ago. They notified via email. Also, was just contacted via telephone regarding acceptance into Columbia. I think they are also sending out packages of everything in hard copy via reg mail. Good luck!

If you don't mind me asking, have you made your decision yet? Also were you offered funding for either program? I too was accepted into both programs, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. I also wasn't offered any funding beyond FAFSFA loans and am not sure I will be able to attend with out some type of grant.

Which school will you be going to?

It seems like a lot of people got accepted to both programs but does anyone have an idea of exactly how many people got admitted? I don't really have a sense of how competitive these programs are.

If you don't mind me asking, have you made your decision yet? Also were you offered funding for either program? I too was accepted into both programs, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. I also wasn't offered any funding beyond FAFSFA loans and am not sure I will be able to attend with out some type of grant.

As a recent graduate of Columbia's Film Studies MA program I can tell you that there are 15 students admitted each year.

Do you know approximately how many people apply?

Also, can you tell me more about the program? Did you like it? Do you have any regrets going? What are your plans (PhD? Work?)? Did you take out any loans and if so, how scary does it feel to come out of this program with loans?

It varies year to year but I believe it's usually 100-120. Most of the people in my program were accepted into NYUs also but chose Columbia's due to class size despite loans (and you will need to take them for NYU also). One thing to consider if you want to continue on to Phd is that Columbia's program requires that you write a 50 page thesis-- NYU does not. I am attending a great Phd program next year.

What do intend to be your area of study?

Do you know approximately how many people apply?

Also, can you tell me more about the program? Did you like it? Do you have any regrets going? What are your plans (PhD? Work?)? Did you take out any loans and if so, how scary does it feel to come out of this program with loans?

Edited by rls2182