MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

55 minutes ago, joelcollard6 said:

Hey guys,

It looks like Alberta is sending out offers for admission. I just got a letter of acceptance into their MSc. program!

I won't be taking it as I have already accepted elsewhere but just thought I'd keep you guys in the loop!

Cheers

Hey @joelcollard6, thanks for the heads up!

Which stream did you apply to? I am waiting to hear back from UAlberta's MSc (Health Policy Research stream).

1 hour ago, joelcollard6 said:

Hey guys,

It looks like Alberta is sending out offers for admission. I just got a letter of acceptance into their MSc. program!

I won't be taking it as I have already accepted elsewhere but just thought I'd keep you guys in the loop!

Cheers

11 minutes ago, yegMPH said:

Hey @joelcollard6, thanks for the heads up!

Which stream did you apply to? I am waiting to hear back from UAlberta's MSc (Health Policy Research stream).

@yegMPH Health Promotion

On 17/03/2017 at 7:20 PM, kobr said:

I am also waiting for Western...Does anyone know how competitive is to get in? How many people are admitted per year? 

There's NONE scholarship or grants for this program and it cost $32k the program...still though, I think it's competitive...Thoughts? 

I think western has a good course and its going to competitive, especially as this year it has been accredited by the ceph. you are right, they  have no funding options and its going to be really expensive.

Already got refusals from Mcmaster ,McGill and SFU Mph (epi)programs. Really tense situation.

Waiting to hear from UToronto , Alberta and Waterloo. Nothing yet

Should hv applied to Queens but didnt

Just accepted my LSHTM offer as a backup.

Edited by dr_pakistan

For those of you who are still in school, when you were accepted by respective schools (McGill, UofA, Ubc etc), did they specify whether you had to maintain a certain average on your final semester in order for your acceptance to be finalized? 

1 hour ago, Mph17 said:

For those of you who are still in school, when you were accepted by respective schools (McGill, UofA, Ubc etc), did they specify whether you had to maintain a certain average on your final semester in order for your acceptance to be finalized? 

@Mph17 For McGill and Alberta, I believe I'm expected to maintain the requirements based on my admission (minimum overall, graduation, etc..).  No specifications about final semester expectations were given.

1 hour ago, Mph17 said:

For Queen's I have to maintain an overall 75% average, which is the minimum requirement for applying to the program. For Guelph (which I just declined), they did not specify a particular average, they just wanted me to send in my transcript with my final semester grades once it is available. However, my average upon application to Guelph was well above the minimum requirement of a B+ within the final two years of undergrad, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the vague conditional acceptance. I have yet to hear from U of A, so unfortunately I can't comment on that, though I imagine that most programs just want you to meet the minimum requirements. 

1 hour ago, becca17 said:

For Queen's I have to maintain an overall 75% average, which is the minimum requirement for applying to the program. For Guelph (which I just declined), they did not specify a particular average, they just wanted me to send in my transcript with my final semester grades once it is available. However, my average upon application to Guelph was well above the minimum requirement of a B+ within the final two years of undergrad, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the vague conditional acceptance. I have yet to hear from U of A, so unfortunately I can't comment on that, though I imagine that most programs just want you to meet the minimum requirements. 

Where did you find the information about the 75% average for Queens? This won't be an issue but I just want to ensure that I haven't missed any important information!

35 minutes ago, brooke16 said:

Where did you find the information about the 75% average for Queens? This won't be an issue but I just want to ensure that I haven't missed any important information!

When I accepted my offer online it said they needed a: "Successful completion of honours undergraduate degree (or equivalent) with upper second class standing, and receipt by Queen's University of an official transcript showing the awarding of the degree." At Queens an upper second class standing is equal to a 75%. 

11 minutes ago, becca17 said:

When I accepted my offer online it said they needed a: "Successful completion of honours undergraduate degree (or equivalent) with upper second class standing, and receipt by Queen's University of an official transcript showing the awarding of the degree." At Queens an upper second class standing is equal to a 75%. 

That's interesting. In my case, I graduated with my B.Sc in 2011 so all my grades were there when I submitted to Waterloo and I actually do not meet their standing. I do have a post-grad advanced diploma where my grades are much higher (4.0). I just sent my official transcripts in and they accepted so I'm hoping it will be ok but this had me think again!

On 2017-03-10 at 8:49 AM, AC2900 said:

I am in same boat as you.  Fingers crossed uOttawa replies before March 20th but it does look grim!  Will probably have to accept McGill then make harder decision once Ottawa letter comes in.  

What do people here think of Ottawa?  I am from US where education system is super polarized (Community and state schools which aren't so good, private which are quite expensive) so when some say Ottawa is not a good school I wonder whether it is not a good school in the US-sense, or if people just mean not as good as Toronto/McGill.  I like the multidisciplinary research they do in the medical school at Ottawa and my friends will be living there too!

Late reply, but I'm currently doing my undergrad at uOttawa. Overall, it's a great place to study - especially with a lot of gvt departments being located here, you have a high chance of getting a job within the Public Health field short after graduating from a masters program. What I personally don't like about uOttawa is their support system to students. E.g: Academic advisors aren't really there to help you out, but I guess thats the same across other schools. If you get in McGill or uToronto, I'd suggest you to go there instead. Otherwise, uOttawa is a decent choice too :)

I have been wait listed for SFU MPH (Global Health). 

Any ideas if anyone ever gets the chance for admission from the waiting list? 

Edited by Tahnin

Anyone hear from lakehead yet? and does anyone know if waterloo sends out a second round of offers? or when waterloo waitlists or rejects applicants?

also as anyone heard from memorial? THANKS