MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

59 minutes ago, mariont19 said:

has anyone on the wait list at mcmaster gotten accepted yet?

nope haven't heard anything yet ... does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist?

Edited by pizza17

15 hours ago, YellowCanary said:

Hi all. Looks like the decisions for uOttawa's MSc Epi are now available on uOzone. 

Really? Mine still says "Under Evaluation"

8 hours ago, YellowCanary said:

Mine says 'Wait List' as of yesterday.

4 hours ago, AC2900 said:

Got my rejection from Ottawa today (no worries I got into McGill)

See you in Montreal.

Thanks for sharing...I guess I will just wait and hope my uozone is updated on Monday. 

Hey guys! I've been following this for a while, but I have a question so I decided to finally make an account.

I got rejected from McGill, UBC, SFU, and U of T. Still waiting for Western. It appears that I'm severely lacking on Public Health experience though, so my question is how did you (if you did) get experience in the Public Health field?

1 hour ago, Teochew said:

Hey guys! I've been following this for a while, but I have a question so I decided to finally make an account.

I got rejected from McGill, UBC, SFU, and U of T. Still waiting for Western. It appears that I'm severely lacking on Public Health experience though, so my question is how did you (if you did) get experience in the Public Health field?

When did you hear back from U of T? 

Hey! Sorry to hear about your rejections. Did the rejection letter specifically state that it's because of the lack of experience? 

I got experience in public health through co-op, volunteer internships at health organizations, and a 4th year thesis. It was a lot of work doing this and i gained this experience throughout my undergrad. 

Send me me a personal message and I can give you more information about how I went about it! (Though I have a rejection from mcmaster, and still waiting on others). 

Edited by friesandwater

Also when and how did you hear back from UofT? 

15 hours ago, Teochew said:

@Teochew I learned how to sell ice to the Eskimo and I was set. I have no experience in public health, I can take just about everything I've done in past few years and pitch it to them as if these are skills that transferable. Talk to a career counsellor about creating a cv that highlights this and you'll the idea will become very apparent if its not already.

e.g. I land sponsorship for a charity event through awesome proposals, speaking in front of large audiences, and great applications. These skills could easily be applied to a public health research context for grant applications or addressing audiences.

Research experience - volunteering and paid
4th year thesis
volunteer manager for yearly community charity event and other volunteer stuff in community
awesome references that you work closely with and maybe did more than just take a class or two with them
See career counselors and they'll have shape up your cv and letter of intent

13 minutes ago, mph2017 said:

University of Toronto did not send out responses to anyone yet. 

Anyone knows between Epidemiology and Public Health, which degree is 'better' in the job market?

How did you find out? 

16 hours ago, Mph17 said:

When did you hear back from U of T? 

16 hours ago, friesandwater said:

Also when and how did you hear back from UofT? 

I applied to their MPH-OEH and got a letter from them on March 21st.

16 hours ago, friesandwater said:

Hey! Sorry to hear about your rejections. Did the rejection letter specifically state that it's because of the lack of experience? 

I got experience in public health through co-op, volunteer internships at health organizations, and a 4th year thesis. It was a lot of work doing this and i gained this experience throughout my undergrad. 

Send me me a personal message and I can give you more information about how I went about it! (Though I have a rejection from mcmaster, and still waiting on others). 

The rejection letters didn't say that specifically (it was very general), but I've noticed on here that a lot of you have some sort of public health experience. I only have been working in a lab for about 1-2 years (along with labs during courses) in my undergrad. I'll send you a PM though!

2 hours ago, joelcollard6 said:

@Teochew I learned how to sell ice to the Eskimo and I was set. I have no experience in public health, I can take just about everything I've done in past few years and pitch it to them as if these are skills that transferable. Talk to a career counsellor about creating a cv that highlights this and you'll the idea will become very apparent if its not already.

e.g. I land sponsorship for a charity event through awesome proposals, speaking in front of large audiences, and great applications. These skills could easily be applied to a public health research context for grant applications or addressing audiences.

Research experience - volunteering and paid
4th year thesis
volunteer manager for yearly community charity event and other volunteer stuff in community
awesome references that you work closely with and maybe did more than just take a class or two with them
See career counselors and they'll have shape up your cv and letter of intent

Oh, I never thought about seeing a career counselor. I pretty much have similar experiences like you do, but I guess my letter of intent/CV is off.

On 2017-03-22 at 6:57 PM, Tahnin said:

Hello @elop, I have also applied to SFU but no email yet. So I was wondering if they sent you a rejection email or you knew when you checked your online application? 

On a different note, @elop and @yegMPH could you guys please tell me when you applied to SFU? Someone said in this thread that SFU does it on a rolling basis (can anyone clear that up for me, please?) so I was trying to understand when they might review my application as I uploaded my last document on 30 January. 

Hey sorry late reply! I was the one who mentioned rolling admissions for SFU I believe. By that I meant that when I got an offer they wanted me to get back to them within 2 weeks (a much shorter time frame than queens who gave me a month)! So I think they send out acceptances and then 2 weeks later they'll be able to send out more if people decline. Hope that makes sense :)

1 hour ago, pugsareneat said:

Hey sorry late reply! I was the one who mentioned rolling admissions for SFU I believe. By that I meant that when I got an offer they wanted me to get back to them within 2 weeks (a much shorter time frame than queens who gave me a month)! So I think they send out acceptances and then 2 weeks later they'll be able to send out more if people decline. Hope that makes sense :)

Thank you @pugsareneat for your reply.

Anyone else here been wait listed for Global health in SFU? 

Any news of waiting list / rejection from Queen's / Waterloo? 

2 hours ago, crys07 said:

I received an email last week from Waterloo saying I was rejected.

Hi @crys07, do you mind telling me what specialty you applied for in Waterloo? 

I'm going crazy as mine still says "no decision yet". 

Long time lurker like some others here. Received an offer from UWaterloo on March 13th.

Posting to say this is the 3rd time I've applied to MPH programs in ON, and my CGPA for undergrad was terrible (2.76)! My last two years I brought up to an A average to be competitive, and I did a graduate diploma in Health Promotion to strengthen my application (GPA 4.24). 3 years of Public Health experience in a community health centre, and great references (academic & professional).

Do not give up hope if you have not been offered admission! Happy to chat with anyone that has questions about the application process. Congrats to all those who have received offers. 

1 hour ago, lastshot said:

Long time lurker like some others here. Received an offer from UWaterloo on March 13th.

Posting to say this is the 3rd time I've applied to MPH programs in ON, and my CGPA for undergrad was terrible (2.76)! My last two years I brought up to an A average to be competitive, and I did a graduate diploma in Health Promotion to strengthen my application (GPA 4.24). 3 years of Public Health experience in a community health centre, and great references (academic & professional).

Do not give up hope if you have not been offered admission! Happy to chat with anyone that has questions about the application process. Congrats to all those who have received offers. 

thanks for your post. where did you do your diploma? I will likely have to reapply in the future because I'm on the same boat- not the best GPA.

Congrats on waterloo!

3 hours ago, Tahnin said:

@Tahnin, Mine also says "no decision yet" on Waterloo's Quest. 

35 minutes ago, elop said:
On my UWO status page it says "Released to Program". Does anyone know what that means?

Mine says that too! I think it means that its been released from the grad studies department to the mph program for decision? 

7 hours ago, Tahnin said:

@Tahnin I just applied to the general master of public health stream. My status changed to 'deny' shortly before I received the email. Hoping you receive good news soon :)