I got into Columbia for MA in Asian Art! But with no funding.

Well, it is not a problem for me since I did not spend much for undergrad (on a full-tuition scholarship).But still, the living expensive in NYC might just kill me right now.

And they are already pressuring me into making the decision. Is it okay to email my other schools at this point? 

7 hours ago, mnzxcdmn said:

I got into Columbia for MA in Asian Art! But with no funding.

Well, it is not a problem for me since I did not spend much for undergrad (on a full-tuition scholarship).But still, the living expensive in NYC might just kill me right now.

And they are already pressuring me into making the decision. Is it okay to email my other schools at this point? 

You can always email schools but I guess being honest with Columbia and asking more time from them might be a more productive option. 

8 hours ago, Charlsa said:

Hey that's me! Thanks! I didn't bother posting because most of the art history folks seemed to be applying to bigger schools, but if anyone else here has applied or has gone there, hit me up.

Congratulations! I'm happy for you!!! And you got into somewhere in UK as well? 

Oh no, just the University of Kentucky so far. I know, UK is misleading (in KY it's common of course, but I really should switch when discussing it elsewhere...). UKy, maybe?

30 minutes ago, Charlsa said:

Oh no, just the University of Kentucky so far. I know, UK is misleading (in KY it's common of course, but I really should switch when discussing it elsewhere...). UKy, maybe?

Hahaha.. my bad! Right, Kentucky is UK and Kansas is KU.

UK is such a heavy acronym though, it's hard to read it without a fancy accent! :lol:

Edited by baddie

Kinda shocked that there's only one Williams admit and one Williams waitlist up right now, but, I'm guessing that signals rejections for the rest of us who haven't heard. Congrats to those who got in!

I suspect the rest of the Williams emails will go out over the next few days (this was the case on the results page). 

I've been accepted to the Courtauld MA History of Art as well as Columbia's MODA program. Has anyone from the Columbia MA program received funding? I know that it explicitly states on the website: "There are no fellowships or scholarships available for free-standing MA programs. Loans and information about federal work-study are available through the financial aid office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences."

Just curious if there are exceptions...

I've never heard of anyone getting funding from Columbia for an MA/MODA, unfortunately. One of my undergrad professors also seemed a bit hesitant about the program due to mixed reports from other students who've gone through it. Still, it's Columbia, and it would be an extremely tempting offer if the debt were closer to, say, $50k and not $150k.

1 minute ago, karak said:

Any0ne have any idea why Cornell has sent our rejections and not acceptances? Has anyone heard back from Cornell?

It's entirely possible they HAVE sent out acceptances. I don't know if you've searched the results board for past years, there are very few acceptances (none last year, either).

I can't emphasize enough how important fit is. I was rejected from all of the Ivy League programs I applied to, but was admitted to, and obtained a special fellowship from, an only slightly less prestigious PhD program. In retrospect, my POI at this program was a much much better fit than those at most of the other programs I applied to. If you find yourself in your SOP shoehorning (even just a little bit!) your research interests to match those of the program's professors, you'd be better off saving your money and taking that program off your list.

Anyone have any thoughts on the SVA Curatorial Practice program? I just got a personal call from them asking me to apply, even though it's after the deadline. I've already been accepted to the Museum Studies program at NYU (last year, I deferred), and am planning on pursuing an art history PhD in the future. Which program do y'all think will be the best stepping stone to a PhD?

1 hour ago, Little-bird said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the SVA Curatorial Practice program? I just got a personal call from them asking me to apply, even though it's after the deadline. I've already been accepted to the Museum Studies program at NYU (last year, I deferred), and am planning on pursuing an art history PhD in the future. Which program do y'all think will be the best stepping stone to a PhD?

I can't speak to the strength of the program, but I work in higher ed and I just want to warn against letting the personal call from the program sway your decision. This likely means that the program is not meeting its admissions numbers and they are thirsty for tuition money. Again, not a statement about the strength of the program - just an overall observation of where higher education is these days, especially with art schools. Additionally, I think it might be against admissions guidelines to pursue you if you have already deposited with another school. If you haven't disclosed that you deferred from NYU, then they are not doing anything wrong, but as soon as you let them know that information, they are obligated to stop pursuing you. 

Hey everyone

I applied to Columbia's MODA major for a masters, and I have not yet heard back from them. According to the results of acceptances on grad cafe. Some people got an email yesterday to check the portal with either acceptances or waitlists. I was wondering if this is common to not receive an email and if this is a sign that I've been rejected since I have yet to hear anyone getting an email yesterday and being rejected. 

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, yusiyusiyusi said:

has anyone heard back from the Bard Graduate Center yet? they said they will release decisions on March 1 but I havent heard anything...

I was just about to make the same post! No, I haven't heard anything yet either and was told at the interview that March 1st was the day they'd let you know a decision  regardless. The wait is agonizing! 

Just now, misswinter said:

I was just about to make the same post! No, I haven't heard anything yet either and was told at the interview that March 1st was the day they'd let you know a decision  regardless. The wait is agonizing! 

I am so glad I am not the only one! Yeah I clearly remember them saying March 1st so I've been refreshing my email like crazy. Hopefully they will do something about it soon! Let me know when you do hear back?

2 minutes ago, yusiyusiyusi said:

I am so glad I am not the only one! Yeah I clearly remember them saying March 1st so I've been refreshing my email like crazy. Hopefully they will do something about it soon! Let me know when you do hear back?

Of course! Hopefully tomorrow? A few of my other notifications have been on a Friday. Best of luck! 

3 hours ago, moonshineacademy said:

I can't speak to the strength of the program, but I work in higher ed and I just want to warn against letting the personal call from the program sway your decision. This likely means that the program is not meeting its admissions numbers and they are thirsty for tuition money. Again, not a statement about the strength of the program - just an overall observation of where higher education is these days, especially with art schools. Additionally, I think it might be against admissions guidelines to pursue you if you have already deposited with another school. If you haven't disclosed that you deferred from NYU, then they are not doing anything wrong, but as soon as you let them know that information, they are obligated to stop pursuing you. 

I should have been more specific -- I'm an intern at a major NYC museum and met the director of the program at a meeting. So, this call came from him directly, not from admissions. I appreciate your response, but I really am hoping to have someone speak to the program, since it is relatively new (I think less than 10 years old). Also, any info on CUNY City College art history MA would be lovely! HALP.

I'm just really stressed out about doing museum studies. A year ago, it was a great fit, but now I'm sure I want to work in a curatorial department, and know what I need to do to get there. But, I'm terrified of going yet another year not being in a program, because I've already waited one, and I need to do an MA to 1) get some good PhD writing samples since I've lost most of my undergrad work thanks to a stolen computer and 2) narrow down my interests.

Edited by Little-bird

28 minutes ago, ESSpressO said:

Has anyone received or had an interview with Hunter College?

I wonder if the interview is necessary or if the decision is made without one. 

I actually just received an acceptance via email, but I didn't interview!