10 hours ago, clueless1234 said:

Made an account specifically to post in this thread... I'm looking to do an MA since I definitely don't have the focus for a PhD yet, and I'm choosing between Columbia (History of Art and Archaeology) and the Bard Graduate Center. 

I'm worried about Columbia MA being just a cashcow for the PhD program, and the MA cohort won't be given much attention from faculty, etc... but I'm leaning towards it anyway because of Columbia's resources. The BGC program is so interdisciplinary and encourages travel abroad and internships, which I'm really interested in as well. Would really appreciate any insights, particularly comments from anyone who has attended either of these programs! This is a really hard decision for me.

I also wonder about Columbia MA! What do people think about Chicago MAPH vs Columbia MA?

17 hours ago, JuniusBattius said:

Long-time lurker here… I’ve completed my MA and am hoping to pursue a PhD. My focus is Medieval – particularly, wood/stone/ivory carvings and some small metals/jewelry.

I applied to several programs but my heart is set on UNC Chapel Hill. A couple of applicants have posted their results from this institution, both acceptance and rejection, but my application status has not changed beyond “submitted.”  I’d been in (seemingly very positive!) contact with Dr. Verkerk as well as a graduate student presently enrolled – I sent a follow-up email a couple of weeks ago but received no response, which I assume is a bad sign. Any advice or insight from those of you reading?

Another poster had stated that their welcome weekend was on 3/3. Does UNC notify applicants if they have been waitlisted? Is there a different process for applicants already holding MAs?

I've been accepted to UNC. UNC has not announced funding and they said they won't be able to until the end of the month. So, it probably will be a while until anyone declines, FYI. No mention was made of the waitlist, but I think it would be okay to ask Dr. Verkerk about the status of your application at this point. Feel free to DM me if you want more details!

53 minutes ago, smileytree said:

I also wonder about Columbia MA! What do people think about Chicago MAPH vs Columbia MA?

The Chicago MAPH is a complete cash cow program. I know a few people from my undergrad university who did it, and thankfully their parents had the resources to foot the bill. 

11 hours ago, clueless1234 said:

Made an account specifically to post in this thread... I'm looking to do an MA since I definitely don't have the focus for a PhD yet, and I'm choosing between Columbia (History of Art and Archaeology) and the Bard Graduate Center. 

I'm worried about Columbia MA being just a cashcow for the PhD program, and the MA cohort won't be given much attention from faculty, etc... but I'm leaning towards it anyway because of Columbia's resources. The BGC program is so interdisciplinary and encourages travel abroad and internships, which I'm really interested in as well. Would really appreciate any insights, particularly comments from anyone who has attended either of these programs! This is a really hard decision for me.

Hi there! 

I was recently accepted into both programs as well and have thought hard about this too. Columbia has always been my top school and to find out I was accepted was a literal dream come true. However, after talking to my POI, who in essence guaranteed there wouldn't be any internal funding for free-standing MA students, I am strongly leaning towards turning it down. $100K just for tuition is honestly unreasonable for me, especially for a MA. The BGC on the other hand has offered me a generous scholarship (though not full funding) and has been extremely eager to help in answering questions about the program which definitely alludes to the close-knit, inclusive culture they promote. And like you said, they have the required study abroad and abundant internship opportunities abroad, which is obviously really appealing. I am still waiting to hear from the Courtauld, another top school for me, but right now I am definitely leaning towards the BGC. Let me know if you're planning to go to the accepted students day! 

On 3/9/2017 at 10:21 PM, clueless1234 said:

I went through the BGC MA program and you can take classes at Columbia, which gives you access to all their amazing resources (I took a class their my second year). You also have the option to take courses at NYU, Parsons, CUNY, etc. 

1 hour ago, baddie said:

New week, same old question: Any news from the University of Toronto?

I know they were going to send out the offers last week, but it seems nobody here has heard a word from them. 

Same here... no news. I am international with a UK MSc degree.

21 minutes ago, MarinaLazarus said:

@baddie Do you know how many have been admitted? As far as I remember from the results page only two people have been accepted... My POI told me that they accept 5 to 8 PhD students each year. But we have also to consider those who don't know the forum.

I don't, but you know, when I was reviewing one of the Art History threads from previous years here in gradcafe maybe a month ago, I saw a post by somebody asking if it's true that University of Toronto takes only one international student each year? :mellow: 

Thanks so much to everyone who replied

@misswinter good to know I'm not the only person facing this exact problem... although Bard was my dream school, and now I'm thinking Columbia is a better fit for me. Despite the beastly, merciless tuition. My POI is there and he agreed to be my thesis advisor, and working with him would be a dream come true... so despite all the amazing perks and wonderful community at the BGC I think I'll go to Columbia just because it's a better fit regarding my academic goals. Seriously gonna miss their amazing, modern facilities and great atmosphere though. Please do feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat --always great to meet other people in the same field :)

@Pictureit24 what was your experience at Bard like?

3 hours ago, la_bouche22 said:

@baddie I took an extension to answer; I'll have a decision early next week. I also heard the UofT only takes one international student a year.

Thanks for sharing this. I wish I knew that they want only one international student before applying. 

By the way, you got into University of Rochester as well? Congratulations!! That's a wonderful program!

Congrats to the recent UCLA admits! May I ask if either of you were informed as to when they'd be sending out remaining notifications (positive or negative)? I'm sitting on an offer and while I'm certainly expecting a rejection, I just want to have all my options on the table before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!!

On 3/16/2017 at 2:49 AM, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

Congrats to the recent UCLA admits! May I ask if either of you were informed as to when they'd be sending out remaining notifications (positive or negative)? I'm sitting on an offer and while I'm certainly expecting a rejection, I just want to have all my options on the table before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!!

I hope you didn't receive the letter I received this morning. 

On 3/10/2017 at 8:30 AM, fresh2death said:

The Chicago MAPH is a complete cash cow program. I know a few people from my undergrad university who did it, and thankfully their parents had the resources to foot the bill. 

What if I got a scholarship? They are offering $18,000 to me. I also got into Columbia so it's U Chicago vs Columbia now.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:37 AM, smileytree said:

I got into two of these and am currently trying to make a final decision. Which one did you choose? We may end up at the same school!