Hey guys, finally coming out of lurker territory to join in the anxiety-waiting game - fingers crossed for everyone here! Anyone else having major application list FOMO? I keep getting these flashes of terror that my life is ruined because I didn't apply to this one school that might not have been a good fit anyways :D.

YA novels are fantastic distractions, the more ludicrous the better! Arboreal, I just started the Throne of Glass series, which for some reason expects us to believe that the captain of the royal guard for a tyrant is a romantic 22 year old who's never killed anyone? What are you reading?

Guest tarsila89

I've heard some people got interview requests for UC Berkeley last week... Do you guys think it's over for the ones who didn't get a interview? Or maybe not? I didn't even know UCB did interviews...

40 minutes ago, Mazinha88 said:

I've heard some people got interview requests for UC Berkeley last week... Do you guys think it's over for the ones who didn't get a interview? Or maybe not? I didn't even know UCB did interviews...

I didn't either. It seems they are few and far between (at least on the results boards), so it's hard to tell. It appears they are more informal interviews, but it's always a good sign to get one...

1 hour ago, skydancer said:

Hey guys, finally coming out of lurker territory to join in the anxiety-waiting game - fingers crossed for everyone here! Anyone else having major application list FOMO? I keep getting these flashes of terror that my life is ruined because I didn't apply to this one school that might not have been a good fit anyways :D.

I understand what you mean. Pretty much for that reason, I've applied to nine programs--a majority of which aren't a good match for me at all. I've had the worst luck finding POIs whose research interests align reasonably enough with mine. I'm not feeling very confident, but we'll see how it goes.

32 minutes ago, la_bouche22 said:

Hi all,

Did any of you apply to UCSC? Any update on the status? I'm a tad worried as admitted students in past years received their notifications around mid-jan. 

Cheers!

I applied there. The results board is a little all over the place for them, so it's a tad harder to tell exactly when they are sending things out. But, it's usually around this time.

1 hour ago, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

I didn't either. It seems they are few and far between (at least on the results boards), so it's hard to tell. It appears they are more informal interviews, but it's always a good sign to get one...

Maybe they interview when there are a lot of applicants with the same POI or area of focus?

1 hour ago, MaytheSchwartzBeWithYou said:

I believe the UCB interviews were more formal than they have been in years past, but I'm not entirely sure if they are a requirement for admission the way Northwestern/Stanford/IFA interviews seem to be. 

31 minutes ago, louisamae said:

Has anyone else been watching our nation devolve into a fascist state for the last few hours with the crippling dread that maybe a PhD isn't the best move right now...(amongst other crippling-dreads)?

Yes. I'm at a loss for words.

Guest tarsila89

Hi guys, to pass the time: what are the best art history peer reviewed publications you like to read? I need to find some good new articles to occupy my mind =)

2 hours ago, Mazinha88 said:

Hi guys, to pass the time: what are the best art history peer reviewed publications you like to read? I need to find some good new articles to occupy my mind =)

Small Axe is amongst my favorite journals (though they work broadly on Carribean lit, art, visual culture). They consistently publish challenging and thoughtful (and often wonderfully poetic) crit.

Guest tarsila89
7 minutes ago, louisamae said:

Small Axe is amongst my favorite journals (though they work broadly on Carribean lit, art, visual culture). They consistently publish challenging and thoughtful (and often wonderfully poetic) crit.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of this journal before, will explore for sure. 

Hello! First-time-poster, here to join in on the waiting game. I've already heard from two schools (an acceptance from St. Louis and a rejection from California), but has anyone heard from Minnesota? Hope y'all aren't drowning in anxiety/anticipation like I am.

Hey guys! Just posting a "YOU CAN DO IT" note, since I know we're all going crazy right now. This isn't my first round of apps, so I definitely know how difficult it can be. I'm having a really hard time staying off the results board or checking my app sites. I'm seriously hoping I get in somewhere this year.

Just remember this process can be unpredictable (for better or for worse!), and it ain't over till the CURVY LADY SINGS. :-)

Now go eat some chocolate, have a glass of wine, and scream into your pillow!

14 hours ago, pan~dulce said:

Hello! First-time-poster, here to join in on the waiting game. I've already heard from two schools (an acceptance from St. Louis and a rejection from California), but has anyone heard from Minnesota? Hope y'all aren't drowning in anxiety/anticipation like I am.

You should post those results in the results page - be honest, it's for posterity! Then the next round of applicants can drown in anxiety right around this time when they see it's possible to receive results this early.