Movie recommendations

mastermind1886

This is the first time I have posted on this forum....... Perhaps it is somewhat telling that I was compelled to speak by a conversation about films and not by a conversation regarding the finer points of application forms and GRE scores! I do want to Grad School, I just don't want to talk about it anymore!!!

I love Lars and the Real Girl and think everyone should see it. (I've seen it a hundred times and still cry at the demise of the leading lady...)

Airplane is the funniest film ever made. Objective fact. ('Surely you can't be serious?' 'I am serious, and don't call me Shirley')

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned)

Stranger than Fiction

Atonement (and yes, I love the book too..)

rolleyes.gif

• 2 months later...

I have been watching the tv show Damages on netflix. I like this sort of thing it is not for everyone its pretty dry. Movies I like to look up different "greatest or best of" and watch them all like the best sci fi movies of all time etc.

This was a tv show, but it played movies. Anyway, can't believe this has not been mentioned yet (maybe it has and I did not notice it). Anyway... MST3K.

Dazed and Confused is another great one. Dawn of the Dead (George Romero version) and Zombieland are really good too.

Edited by farnsworth

1. Buffy/Angel

2. Firefly

3. Six Feet Under

4. Avatar: The Last Airbender (cartoon but SO good)

5. Battlestar Galactica

Those are my top 5, but if you're just looking for Potato Chip shows (you can't watch just one....), I'd recommend Dexter, Bones, True Blood and maybe Fringe. I've heard that's good but I haven't watched it yet.

Movies:

Stranger than Fiction- amazing. And the part about the "flours" is the single sweetest, most romantic things I've ever seen in a movie, plus, what's not to love about Maggie Gyllenhall?

Stardust- Robert DeNiro as a cross-dressing pirate. Michelle Pfiefer as a stalker witch. Claire Danes as a star. It's amazing.

10 Things I Hate about You- "I want you, I need you, oh baby, oh baby." "I know you can be overwhelmed, and I know you can be underwhelmed, but can you just be whelmed?"

A Knight's Tale- brilliant. Hilarious. And gives me hope that I can "change my stars."

Adjustment Bureau- much, much better than I was expecting.

Anything by Disney/Pixar.

Princess Bride- Best. Movie. Ever. Made. How this hasn't been mentioned yet is beyond me.

TV

Jack and Bobby- 1 season story about 2 sons of a history professor, one of whom grows up to be president.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip- witty, fast-paced Aaron Sorkin series about an SNL-type late-night comedy sketch show starring Matt Perry (love!) that was unfortunately too intelligent for the average prime-time audience and only lasted one season.

Castle- terribly witty crime drama about an author who follows around a hot cop in NYC to get ideas for his next crime thriller.

Glee- well, duh.

Big Bang Theory- makes me laugh out loud all the time.

The Godfather trilogy...holy mackerel now that's a way to escape. God I love it.

The Office

House

Andy Garcia movies...this man has helped me remain almost sane throughout the application and waiting processes.

Edited by Mal83

Movies....

1.Fight Club

2. Million dollar baby

3.October Sky

4.Silence of the lambs and Red Dragon (PREQUEL TO THE FORMER)

5.LOTR trilogy, Rocky series (3 n 4 specially), Rambo series, Matrix trilogy, Bourne series (you must have seen all of them...and if not....come on)

6. V for Vendetta

7. All Christopher Nolan movies ( Inception,Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Prestige etc. )

8. JFK

9. Blood Diamond

...many more awesome ones are there :)

In TV series.....I would recommend Two and a half men, Big Bang Theory, Prison Break, Dexter, Californication, Family Guy