PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

On 2/20/2017 at 2:37 PM, seung said:

Princeton theological seminary, like many other schools this year, has cut the number of seats for admissions. This time around there are only eight seats open as opposed to the typical 12.

I had heard rumor that it was 10 not 8, but I could be wrong. 

5 minutes ago, y00nsk said:

Wow! Do you know which sub-fields made offers and which didn't?

If its 10 admits, then I assume each department will make 2 offers and waitlist about 3. If its 8 then I imagine two  departments will only get one admit (although thinking about admission history in recent year, this doesn't add up to me).

4 minutes ago, MarthUser said:

Would you have a much more narrow date for when Princeton's Graduate School will get back to applicants? I've only received the answer of "over the next few weeks".

No I don't, I'm sorry. Last year it was about the same time as the Seminary if I remember correctly.

37 minutes ago, J.R. Rego said:

Can I ask where you heard that? (As in, did someone email you, or did you call and ask, etc.). The waiting-for-Princeton anxiety is getting REAL so I'll take any info I can get :)

I get it. I heard so from a reputable source. 

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

PTS will be Friday. Can confirm about PU finalists being submitted to graduate school. Wish y'all the best!

Thanks for letting us know! Do you know if finalists are generally admitted or if that's where a waitlist happens or if people get turned down at that stage or... 

1 minute ago, geezlaweez said:

Thanks for letting us know! Do you know if finalists are generally admitted or if that's where a waitlist happens or if people get turned down at that stage or... 

Haven't heard any horror stories of the grad school turning down finalists, so I think its more a stamp of approval.

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

I had heard rumor that it was 10 not 8, but I could be wrong. 

If its 10 admits, then I assume each department will make 2 offers and waitlist about 3. If its 8 then I imagine two  departments will only get one admit (although thinking about admission history in recent year, this doesn't add up to me).

Yes, you are correct, and I was wrong! 10 admits. 8 was the number for Yale, where I was SO close to getting into =[ it seems the trauma is messing with my memory

14 minutes ago, Marcion said:

What is your subfield?! 

Religion in the Americas at Harvard. It said in my original email that the GSAS had finished reviewing the applications, so it sucks that it's taking so long for them to let the rest of you know. They said I would hear back about my MTS application by mid-March, if anyone else is curious.

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

Haven't heard any horror stories of the grad school turning down finalists, so I think its more a stamp of approval.

I'm glad to hear this but part of me is always afraid of schools going down the Yale route and the graduate school rejecting the professors' recommendations

57 minutes ago, Rabbit Run said:

PTS will be Friday. Can confirm about PU finalists being submitted to graduate school. Wish y'all the best!

Sorry, just to clarify: PU has made its decisions about interviews or admissions? Are you saying they've contacted finalists?

1 hour ago, MarthUser said:

Interesting since Paul Lim hasn't taught at Gordon-Conwell since 2008. I wonder if the rumor implies that they may have given it to a recent Gordon-Conwell graduate who was studying the Reformation or if it was a student who took a class with Lim nine years ago and is currently applying to PhD programs.

From what I gathered, though I didn't ask about specifics, is that it was a former student that went into ministry for several years and is now returning to the academy.

Which makes sense given Lim's known preference for students. 

3 hours ago, MarthUser said:

Do you mean Princeton Theological Seminary or Princeton Department of Religion?

I don't know about Princeton Theological Seminary, but for Princeton Department of Religion I was told that the professors submitted their finalists to the graduate school early last week and am expecting we should hear back from them sometime this week or next week. Here's to all of us keeping our fingers crossed...

I was asking about the Dept of Religion. Thanks for the info!  I hope we hear soon.

4 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

So I guess it's not gonna be today. Time to wait another day. Sigh. 

For some masochistic reason, I found Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate an appropriate response to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw

Yesterday it seems that NO ONE heard from any schools, but I have a feeling about today. Today is the day. We're going to start hearing from a bunch of schools. I'm not sure which, but the emails are being written as we speak. 

Also I have my Iowa interview today! It's gonna be a big day!

I'm gonna light a candle and pour out a little wine to John Harvard, John Princeton, John Iowa, John UT-Austin, and any other Johns you fine people might be waiting for. ;)

1 hour ago, rheya19 said:

Yesterday it seems that NO ONE heard from any schools, but I have a feeling about today. Today is the day. We're going to start hearing from a bunch of schools. I'm not sure which, but the emails are being written as we speak. 

Also I have my Iowa interview today! It's gonna be a big day!

I'm gonna light a candle and pour out a little wine to John Harvard, John Princeton, John Iowa, John UT-Austin, and any other Johns you fine people might be waiting for. ;)

Good luck with the Iowa interview! It should be a great day!