PhD Applications Fall '17 Season

menge

29 minutes ago, menge said:

A few of us, I think. 

Oh good it's not just me then! I have rarely seen UPenn mentioned here or on the results board I interviewed on Monday and the wait is killing me! Does anyone know how many they admit? I know none of this helps me right now but I just want to know more haha

Edited by Alan.N

4 minutes ago, Calvin S said:

When will Emory's rejections be going out? Do they ever admit or waitlist someone they didn't interview or is no interview pretty much a rejection?

Not sure when rejections will go out but some people have received an email saying they are on the wait list for Hebrew Bible.

Btw, in the past, I never got an email from Harvard saying my app status was changed, it was always just changed on the website with no email notification.

7 minutes ago, Calvin S said:

When will Emory's rejections be going out? Do they ever admit or waitlist someone they didn't interview or is no interview pretty much a rejection?

Yes, a friend of mine was admitted to Emory on April 14th even though he hadn't been invited to the interview weekend. It's rare, but it's possible. That to say that their rejections might not go out for a while. Might be worth emailing your POI...

10 minutes ago, HBgrad2017 said:

I doooo know that at least one person has definitely heard via email. I also applied to UChicago Div but I am almost 100% certain I wouldn't get in and I have not received an email.

Thanks for letting me know. I guess this means rejection for me, too. :( 

Edited by MonkeyMagic

18 minutes ago, HBgrad2017 said:

I doooo know that at least one person has definitely heard via email. I also applied to UChicago Div but I am almost 100% certain I wouldn't get in and I have not received an email.

Do you know which field they are in? I'm also waiting to hear. 

41 minutes ago, Marcion said:

I've been thinking: what if it's not even this week!? 

30 minutes ago, rheya19 said:

Don't cry, Marcion. It will be tomorrow or Friday (probably Friday). I have a strong feeling about this week. 

I am guessing Friday as well... which will be a strange feeling because I am catching a train to Harvard for a conference over the weekend. Cause it's either going to be "this is my new school" or "y'all rejected me..." even worse all my POIs will be there...

Edited by Marcion

Just now, Marcion said:

I am guessing Friday as well... which will be a strange feeling because I am catching a train to Harvard for a conference over the weekend. Cause it's either going to be "this is my new school" or "you'll rejected me..." even worse all my POIs will be there...

Make it awkward. Say things like, "I am really looking forward to working with you on that... or at least I was.... It's ok. I'm not sad or anything" and  "So.... tell me about your new advisee..."

I've been having a good old fashioned Anglican hymn sing to cope with the stress. It's hard to be upset while belting CWM Rhondda and He Who Would Valiant Be... my neighbors must be thrilled.  

6 hours ago, rheya19 said:

Does anyone know if Boston University, U British Columbia, and Harvard interview? I don't know if I'm getting into any of them, but it'd be nice to have a sense of what might happen.

5 hours ago, Alan.N said:

Oh good it's not just me then! I have rarely seen UPenn mentioned here or on the results board I interviewed on Monday and the wait is killing me! Does anyone know how many they admit? I know none of this helps me right now but I just want to know more haha

I guess since I was not interviewed by UPenn, that means I am out. But I am also waiting to hear from UBoston. Did they interview? And how about Georgetown? Specifically the department of Arabic and Islamic Studies? Anyone?

8 hours ago, Eshtah said:

I guess since I was not interviewed by UPenn, that means I am out. But I am also waiting to hear from UBoston. Did they interview? And how about Georgetown? Specifically the department of Arabic and Islamic Studies? Anyone?

I know of a waitlist at Georgetown, but in Religious Studies. Not sure about your areas. 

13 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

Do we know if any of the schools that sent out their first picks have gone down their lists to second picks yet? Is it still too early for that?

Might be time to start a separate decisions thread so can people can post any offers accepting and turning down. 

2 minutes ago, menge said:

Might be time to start a separate decisions thread so can people can post any offers accepting and turning down. 

Great idea menge. The time is most likely approaching. I know some schools begin their second round as early as late February.

There were some questions on the results page about when CUA's funding information would come out. I emailed the department today and they said the scholarship letters were drafted, but they were waiting on final approval from the graduate office. They hoped to have approval by the end of the month.