Nightmares

Victorianna

I am wondering if anyone has had strange dreams lately?

I found myself having a nightmare in which one prominent school sent the first round of applicants a komodo dragon to fight to prove their worth. A letter accompanying the beast explained that if the applicant defeated the dragon he or she would progress to the next round of the application process.

Very strange. I suspect that I have achieved the height of nerdiness.

WOW, those are so much more exciting than my grad school nightmares! Mine involve run-of-the-mill universal rejection, and palpable disappointment in the faces of everyone I have to subsequently tell. Komodo dragons FTW!

Wow, that is an amazing dream, victorianna.

I had a dream the other day that I couldn't get to my office (aka the desk in the corner of my bedroom) because there were too many clothes and books and chairs around it, and it smelled. My boyfriend was so upset that our room smelled like rotting food, but I couldn't find the source!

On second thought, that might not be grad-app stress, but stress over how damn messy my bedroom is!

LOL! That is a great nightmare! Well, I guess it is great for us readers and not so much you. I haven't had any nightmares like yours, but I have been having some very unusual dreams. I remember my last 3 dreams very vividly and they are all very weird...some I wish I could forget!

I've had a nightmare that I went to an interview at my dream school and there was some kind of lecture beforehand. Among the students was one girl I used to have beef with back in high school and she annoyed me immensely in my dream as well. So I loudly cursed her out which attracted attention of the dean. I had to take a walk with him and apologize for my behavior. The rest of the dream was me agonizing over ruining my chances for admission. lol

Still no LOR, huh?

Yeah, but I guess he'll do the same thing last year. My application will reach a certain point in the application process and if the department needs my LOR, then they'll contact me for it. Although, it would be a whole lot easier if he just submits it. But I'm giving it till January 5th before I potentially snap and try to get a straight answer from him on when he'll finally submit it.

Yeah, but I guess he'll do the same thing last year. My application will reach a certain point in the application process and if the department needs my LOR, then they'll contact me for it. Although, it would be a whole lot easier if he just submits it. But I'm giving it till January 5th before I potentially snap and try to get a straight answer from him on when he'll finally submit it.

Is there anyone else you can ask instead? Where he did the same thing last year I'm not sure it's worth putting all your hopes on him. I realise it's late in the game to ask someone else but the semester hasn't started yet and most of the academics I know have relatively flexible schedules at the moment so it's a possibility.

I keep having this one dream over and over, where I'm waiting tables, and I have like 20 of them, and they're all mad. But instead of talking to me about their food or whatever, they keep asking questions about my thesis and my application materials. Usually at least one person throws food at me, and another person boos. It's a terrible dream...I told my advisor about it and she giggled..yes...giggled. Then tried to make a straight face and told me to try relaxation techniques....

I think it's a little too late for deep breathing exercises.

I keep having this one dream over and over, where I'm waiting tables, and I have like 20 of them, and they're all mad. But instead of talking to me about their food or whatever, they keep asking questions about my thesis and my application materials. Usually at least one person throws food at me, and another person boos. It's a terrible dream...I told my advisor about it and she giggled..yes...giggled. Then tried to make a straight face and told me to try relaxation techniques....

I think it's a little too late for deep breathing exercises.

I had a dream about being in 8th grade and basically being in the "teacher's helper" for a bunch of 6th graders, but the dream started when everyone was already in class, and me and the other 8th graders were there and it took us a while to figure out we were older than the 6th graders, and then it took us another second to figure out we were supposed to help them. The whole time, we like goofing off and laughing and stuff... whispering and laughing while the teacher was talking, even though the younger students were generally well behaved (though they did ask us questions at first, like who are you, why are you here). It took me a few days to interpret it as subconcious TA anxiety, which is weird because I've already taught adults for two years, and now have been teaching high school students as well as a sprinkling of college graduate for six months without any problem... It was more a weird dream than a nightmare.

A couple weeks ago, the day after submitting my Brown app (one of my top choices btw), I dreamed I was with a bunch of ppl doing an interview there.

Except "there" was my dingy old primary school, with asbestos ceilings and cobwebs and everything.. And the "interview" turned out to be some bizarro mix of Project Runway/American Idol. Basically, we were divided up in waiting rooms and someone official-looking would come into each room to tell if the ppl in it had been accepted or rejected.

I was in the "accepted" room.

And my initial reaction was to scream, jump up and race to the nearest bathroom and puke.

my gym needs to get rid of its TVs. :rolleyes:

Any nightmares I've had lately have been as a result of playing too much Left 4 Dead 2 on my Xbox...I had a bizarre mish-mash where I was running through a zombie-infested version of my hometown and trying to go from friend's house to friend's house to avoid the hordes.

And the "interview" turned out to be some bizarro mix of Project Runway/American Idol.

Man imagine if it was like project runway! And instead of designing a dress, you had a write a paper that you could conference. And instead of a mock runway with three judges, there was a mock dais with three judges... and instead of taking you to the fabric store and saying "You have twenty minutes, get all the materials you need", they took you to the library! And instead of a sewing room, you worked in a windowless computer lab! And the catchphrase instead of like "Auf wiedersehen" was, "I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a position this year. Best of luck in all your future endeavors." Every challenge you win, you earn a little bit of research money. And the semi-finalists got into a masters program or something! That show would be so boring, except for all the crying and backbiting.

"Omigod, Michael totally checked out the book I needed to sabotage me. What a total b*tch!!" "Sarah doesn't even know how to write proper MLA citations... why is she even here?" "Yeah I think Frederico will make an excellent teacher someday... in high school (hissy sound)." "(Crying) This research assignment requires quantitative methods... but in my field we only use qualitative methods, this just this is just so not fair. (More sobbing. This person is eliminated)."

I keep having a dream about a large sheet of paper (A1 dimensions except in feet rather than inches) with SoP written in large red letters on it with a large, gaping, jagged teeth-filled maw chasing me around in space. And then I run out of oxygen.

Anxiety about the SoP much? Nah!

I had application dreams last year when I applied. I had several, but one was that I had been rejected from Harvard when I didn't even apply to the school. I think someone else had the same dream.

I had 2 rejection dreams, and 2 inclusive dreams. I went 0/4, so they were accurate in my case

I keep getting this one as well - I think 3 times already :D

Must be a harvard thing...