MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

So, there's only UCLA and Washington University in St. Louis left to hear back from on my end. Hopefully, WashU will come through soon. If UCLA doesn't accept unsolicited reference letters and only ask for them when interested in a candidate, would there be anyway of finding out if UCLA asked for a reference on your behalf? Do you get notified when someone submits? 

UCLA's admission process seems to be the most encrypted procedure. 

@Poodle-Doodle are you waiting for U of Washington? 

if so, I've applied to U of Washington too... Last year's interview requests seem to be around 15th, so I'm starting to lose hope.. I just sent an email to them asking if they have sent out interview requests yet.  

10 minutes ago, arte said:

@Poodle-Doodle are you waiting for U of Washington? 

if so, I've applied to U of Washington too... Last year's interview requests seem to be around 15th, so I'm starting to lose hope.. I just sent an email to them asking if they have sent out interview requests yet.  

Hey @arte sorry, I should have clarified. I meant Sam Fox at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. 

1 hour ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

So, there's only UCLA and Washington University left to hear back from on my end. Hopefully, Wash U will come through soon. If UCLA doesn't accept unsolicited reference letters and only ask for them when interested in a candidate, would there be anyway of finding out if UCLA asked for a reference on your behalf? Do you get notified when someone submits? 

UCLA's admission process seems to be the most encrypted procedure. 

Yes, seems like no one knows what's up with UCLA's process. Even if you read the forums from previous years, there was a lot of confusion and frustration with UCLAs admissions.  Nonetheless, it's a great school and I guess everyone is trying to keep hope.  With regards to the recommendations, maybe it is best to reach out to them and ask?  Though, I emailed them a while back (twice) with regards to another matter, and simply never received a response.... 

Edited by Chrisel

There was someone a few years ago on the forums who got an interview invite from UCLA and was emailed a few days later that they were no longer considering his application. No explanation given. Seriously everyone's worst nightmare. :unsure:

@meghanmetier arghhhhh! I've been wondering if maybe they're taking longer because of future funding issues with NEA being defunded / loss of other federal $$? It's making me pretty nervous. :\ 

3 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

So are we all out of the running for UCLA?  Did someone say they were notifying the 3rd week of feb?

That's what sssettam said, though they said it was a general timeline. Technically could say this is the third full week of February, so I'm still holding out hope.

3 minutes ago, sylviecerise said:

That's what sssettam said, though they said it was a general timeline. Technically could say this is the third full week of February, so I'm still holding out hope.

oh true.  maybe theres still a chance lol.

1 hour ago, sylviecerise said:

There was someone a few years ago on the forums who got an interview invite from UCLA and was emailed a few days later that they were no longer considering his application. No explanation given. Seriously everyone's worst nightmare. :unsure:

@meghanmetier arghhhhh! I've been wondering if maybe they're taking longer because of future funding issues with NEA being defunded / loss of other federal $$? It's making me pretty nervous. :\ 

I'd hate to be his feelings in a situation like that. 

17 minutes ago, Poodle-Doodle said:

I'd hate to be his feelings in a situation like that. 

Unfortunately, this was the situation with my institution (UNC - Chapel Hill). My acceptance was in the form of 'You're in, sorry we've taken this long to let you know, we are still trying to figure out funding for next year which is uncertain and that is the reason for the delayed response. Usually we know by now - and we will let you know as soon as we can'

So, basically, a good call overall, with caveats as it is usually a well funded program. I do think, however, that it could be a reason that some other institutions may be uncharacteristically behind - if it happened to one, it wouldn't be surprising that it happened to others. 

Edited by felixo

8 hours ago, Chrisel said:

Hi there and welcome!  Congratulations with the interviews!  I am also an international applicant (from South Africa). Currently preparing for my interview with Pratt that will be in a few hours! Stressing but also very excited! Where did you apply?

Hey good luck with your interview, I hope it went well! I applied to Columbia and Hunter, and interviewing for both. I signed up for an interview date with Columbia but haven't received confirmation about where the interview is going take place. I am a little worried because the interview is about a week away. 

Edited by Dreaminghigh
spelling

On 2/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, oliveoil said:

CONGRATS!!! So that happened to me too — I checked my account and had an acceptance letter and then got an email from them about it at the end of the day! They are having an accepted students day on march 17th!

I'll be flying out to California for spring break then :^) 

2 hours ago, sylviecerise said:

Ahhhh that would explain why they're accepting fewer students. 

28 minutes ago, Dirty Jersey said:

Who is coming to Tyler?? I'm so excited :)

You got a response? Still waiting here.

EDIT: Wait! I was looking at your profile and you were admitted last spring? I almost got a heart attack lol. 

Edited by leekrasner

1 hour ago, felixo said:

Unfortunately, this was the situation with my institution (UNC - Chapel Hill). My acceptance was in the form of 'You're in, sorry we've taken this long to let you know, we are still trying to figure out funding for next year which is uncertain and that is the reason for the delayed response. Usually we know by now - and we will let you know as soon as we can'

So, basically, a good call overall, with caveats as it is usually a well funded program. I do think, however, that it could be a reason that some other institutions may be uncharacteristically behind - if it happened to one, it wouldn't be surprising that it happened to others. 

WOW! Sorry. Hoping you applied to other places where this may not be likely to happen. 

Anyone hear from Alfred, I'm waiting for there response. Applied for the ceramics MFA

Other schools I applied to:

GSU- no decision on file (know someone who was waitlisted)

Nebraska Lincoln- Response is in the post without a phone interview (does that mean rejection?)

Illinois State- Awaiting Department Review

Ohio University (Athens)- Awaiting Department Review

Is it abnormal to not have a response yet? I assume GSU and Lincoln are rejections based on what I know, but did anyone hear anything from the other schools listed?

3 hours ago, Vespertine said:

Has anyone heard from RISD? I feel like I haven't seen posts about ANY department yet...

I've only seen graphic design acceptances! I haven't heard anything else on here / from other friends who applyed. This seems really late, right?

47 minutes ago, leekrasner said:

You got a response? Still waiting here.

EDIT: Wait! I was looking at your profile and you were admitted last spring? I almost got a heart attack lol. 

Yeah I'm such a loser for being on this forum when I'm already in the program! Anyways, I can't wait for people to be here loooool BTW for anyone out there, the rumors are correct, Tyler will only be accepting around 6 people for painting and another 5/6 for sculpture

11 minutes ago, jschut said:

Anyone hear from Alfred, I'm waiting for there response. Applied for the ceramics MFA

Other schools I applied to:

GSU- no decision on file (know someone who was waitlisted)

Nebraska Lincoln- Response is in the post without a phone interview (does that mean rejection?)

Illinois State- Awaiting Department Review

Ohio University (Athens)- Awaiting Department Review

Is it abnormal to not have a response yet? I assume GSU and Lincoln are rejections based on what I know, but did anyone hear anything from the other schools listed?

i applied to alfred for ceramics as well, still no response. i actually applied to the same programs as you (aside from GSU), but as of now i've only heard from UNL (waitlisted). 

i thought for sure we'd hear from alfred last week, but hopefully in the next few days!