MFA 2017 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

thebestartistintheworld

20 minutes ago, dyldyldyl said:

so I've known I was rejected from Hunter for a week or two now, since I knew all interview invites had gone out. 

but I got my first official notice of rejection yesterday...but not from someone in the art/painting dept....it was someone from their masters of teaching program, which I thought was really odd. not only that, but they were encouraging me/offering that I could transfer my application, free of charge, to be considered for that program instead- what?!

then I get a rejection again today,  this time from the graduate art department- with a very blunt subject line " Application declined for Hunter MFA 2017-2018 admissions " folllowed by an email with several typos. 

kind of disappointing, after all the effort I put into my app, you'd think they'd do a better job at communicating. .. 

(sorry for the non-story, just figured this forum was a better place for me to vent than directly to the admissions peeps.. lol)

I can agree that Hunter College Application process isn't very clear. When I applied to Hunter I couldn't find the slideroom portion on the application page. I had to search for slideroom directly on google search. Additionally it doesn't help that all of their grad school applications are through one application processes so it is difficult to know if the application is going to the right department or shuffled into the wrong place. 

Hey MFA Photo folks,

Just wondering where all people have applied to and heard back from....I've interviewed and been accepted to Arizona and Columbia College, but haven't heard anything from ASU.   Anyone else apply there and hear back yet?

Best of luck to everyone. 

3 hours ago, deepfriedcatheads said:

I got accepted to RISD Printmaking w/o interview (???) I am actually surprised that almost everyone who got contacted by RISD said they had an interview. Anyway no news from financial aid yet.

Congrats!! That's awesome. 

3 hours ago, bspesak said:

Hi All,

I would really love some help from anyone with an opinion on the matter...

Pratt/NYU/Parsons

MFA Studio Art - Photography

Where would you go and why?

THANK YOU!

B

www.blainespesak.com

I honestly haven't heard great things about Pratt or Parsons photo, particularly about the facilities (I would definitely visit all three schools if facilities / equipment availability are important to you). They're both great schools, just lacking a bit for photo grad students. 

Otherwise I would pick based on funding and the work you see coming out of each school! 

4 hours ago, bspesak said:

Hi All,

I would really love some help from anyone with an opinion on the matter...

Pratt/NYU/Parsons

MFA Studio Art - Photography

Where would you go and why?

THANK YOU!

B

www.blainespesak.com

My understanding is that Parsons has more of a focus on design, and of course, is renown for its fashion program. If you are interested in commercial photography and practical applications of the medium, this may be a good direction to head. Some faculty offer a more fine arts perspective, however, so it depends on who you work with.

Pratt has more of a traditional fine arts approach (critiques vs. portfolios for the job market), and I find the work coming out of NYU to also be in a fine arts direction with the most interdisciplinary allowance of the three schools. Pratt seems to have stronger delineations across their media-specific departments. These are all general observations as I haven't studied at any of these schools, but I have guest-critiqued/lectured in entry-level classes at Parsons. 

Photography covers such a broad arena of interests, that you should focus on the school that will provide you with what you want––whether it's a commercial/design focus or more based on a fine arts practice. 

Edited by Impartial

1 hour ago, Jturne12 said:

Hey MFA Photo folks,

Just wondering where all people have applied to and heard back from....I've interviewed and been accepted to Arizona and Columbia College, but haven't heard anything from ASU.   Anyone else apply there and hear back yet?

Best of luck to everyone. 

I am hoping things work out at Rutgers; I interview tomorrow! I'm from Chicago and am very familiar with Columbia College. It's a great school for photo, especially with the Museum of Contemporary Photography as a resource. Most of the artists coming out of Chicago who work in photo either attended Columbia, SAIC, or UIC. A few people from Northwestern and UofC also, but these schools seem to have more visible painters and sculptors.

14 minutes ago, Impartial said:

I am hoping things work out at Rutgers; I interview tomorrow! I'm from Chicago and am very familiar with Columbia College. It's a great school for photo, especially with the Museum of Contemporary Photography as a resource. Most of the artists coming out of Chicago who work in photo either attended Columbia, SAIC, or UIC. A few people from Northwestern and UofC also, but these schools seem to have more visible painters and sculptors.

Good luck at Rutgers!  I'm also from Chicago and love the program at Columbia, however there doesn't appear to be a lot of funding options for me. Regardless, I'm hoping to move out West at some point, so I guess it kind of makes sense to look at the Arizona programs.  AZ offered me a pretty substantial funding package, so it will be hard to pass up.    Hope the interview goes well tomorrow!

1 minute ago, Jturne12 said:

Good luck at Rutgers!  I'm also from Chicago and love the program at Columbia, however there doesn't appear to be a lot of funding options for me. Regardless, I'm hoping to move out West at some point, so I guess it kind of makes sense to look at the Arizona programs.  AZ offered me a pretty substantial funding package, so it will be hard to pass up.    Hope the interview goes well tomorrow!

Thank you, and $$ makes a difference, especially if you like both schools and are thinking about post-MFA life. Congrats on the funding package at AZ! It would be interesting to make work in such a different geographic environment. One other thing to consider is where you might want to reside after the MFA program––it's nice to keep something continuous with your peers, even if you just stay put for another year or two. Best of luck on your decision!

4 hours ago, Cengstro said:

@sylviecerise did u happen to interview-meet w/ Brent Howard at Yale? He was my old upstairs neighbor & friend when I lived in south BK - Kensington a few years back- talk about not super pretentious :) - super skilled, great guy.

Yes!!! He was on my panel! I had read a little bit about him before the interview, he seems like a really interesting guy. The welding competition sounds crazy. He asked some really great questions during my interview too. 

2 hours ago, Jturne12 said:

It's definitely a great idea to go to grad school closer to where you eventually want to live! Especially if there's substantial funding. 

As a photographer, I think it's especially exciting to move to an area with totally different light -- it always changes the way I see and photograph.... 

On 2/28/2017 at 5:22 PM, Vespertine said:

I wouldn't jump to thinking there's anything "wrong" with your work! It might just mean that you need to research which programs are the right fit for the work you're doing. It could also just come down to the way you've put together your portfolio, which should tend towards a more coherent vision rather than showing the entire breadth of your practice. Or the way you've written your artist statement. Unfortunately one thing you probably missed out on by not studying art in school is the "right" (or accepted) way to talk/write about art -- though it's never to late to change that. 

I'm sure plenty of us would be happy to offer feedback if you want to share a link to a website or anything (or feel free to PM if you'd feel more comfortable) :) 

EDIT: Also don't lose hope yet, it's not over till you hear back for sure.

Thanks so much for your guidance. "should tend towards a more coherent vision rather than showing the entire breadth of your practice.", "Unfortunately one thing you probably missed out on by not studying art in school is the "right" (or accepted) way to talk/write about art". Totally agree with you. I will keep these in my mind for the next time.

I will send you a link to my blog to hear your comments :)

Thanks again for the time you put.

On 2/28/2017 at 6:13 PM, felixo said:

You should know that many times acceptance isn't really a value judgement on your work - you could be a talented artist but may not fit what the school wants. As someone who didn't study art in undergrad I will second the comment about learning to speak/write (and think!) about your work. There really is an entrenched language surrounding art in academia, and if you don't learn how to use it to your advantage it could be awhile before you get anywhere with your work in an academic context. 

It took me a few years to learn how to speak about my work proficiently enough - and I still feel uncomfortable about it, mostly because my work is rapidly evolving and tends to be experimental and multi-faceted. The idea of speaking about it in general terms always seems to shortchange something. In the end we are artists, not writers. We turn to art because words fall short for us generally - but that doesn't mean we can avoid them. I really doubt that your country of origin and your idea of art would be cause not to get in (if that is the case, you've still gotta wait!), it's possible that whatever your ideas about art and how you express them, they just may not be placed in proper academic context. Your work should also demonstrate a knowledge of where it fits with other similar works and where you are trying to do new things and push the mediums forward - most good art schools will want to see that you are on a path towards truly unique and original works.

Also, many people will apply to MFA programs for a few years before attending - because they don't get in, they don't get funding, a school doesn't end up being a good fit, life happens, etc. You learn something every application cycle - take it as an opportunity to think about how you'll evolve for the next cycle and keep making new work and research, research all the schools out there and try to get an idea of what institutions might be most receptive to your take on things. 

I am not a painter/sculptor (photo is my primary medium) but if you want to send me what you have via a private message go for it and I'll give you my thoughts. But one thing - there is not a damn thing wrong with your art. If it's honest work and shows what you're interested in and you care about it, there's nothing wrong with it. The fact that you make it from an honest place makes it right.

Thanks ((so)^n, n->10000000) much for your detailed explanations. It really means a lot to me :) 

I keep what you said in my mind for the next time. I will send you the link to my blog via message.

I appreciate the time you put to right all these useful information with all my heart.

19 hours ago, 7edkim said:

Hey artdreamer,  I want to share this link with you: https://news.artnet.com/app/news-upload/2016/08/top-500-american-artists-since-1966-final.pdf

It is rather strange to rank people in the art world but we can all agree that some of the names on the top of list are very much recognisable. See how many successful artists have no MFA? In the art world, the only thing that matters is your work. Yes- 2 years at Yale or Columbia could be nice, but only if the course is right for you. Don't take the rejection as a sign that you are not good enough. You might have things to work on, but you are never not good enough! Also- If you want to message your link to your portfolio, I will be very happy to write you back with my share of say. I'm a painter too!

Hi. Thanks so much for the link and for your inspiring comment. The reason I want to get an MFA is that I haven't been in art atmosphere before and I really need some place to hear other's comments on my works. I feel so lost and confused right now. MFA is sort of thing I need to know if I'm going through the right way in my artistic path. It also help me to be linked with other great artists and hear about their thoughts. I'm an alien in US and I have no connections with other artists and MFA may be helpful for me. 

22 hours ago, blackbirdnichole said:

I put all my eggs in one basket and only applied to GSU - Sculpture. I have not heard back either. (Since the "update" email Feb 15th)

*refreshes email for the millionth time awaiting word*

That's the last time they contacted me as well. But I am for Painting/Drawing. Hope we hear something soon and good luck!

14 hours ago, Impartial said:

You should also look into uni of south florida-the photo faculty.   Is ?

On 2/13/2017 at 5:53 AM, EmD28 said:

Anyone heard back from RISD? 

I've applied to RISD's 3yr GD and I'm so anxious!! I saw that someone got an interview request and I'm freaking out even more. Already got rejected by two amazing schools for 3yr GD

On 2/28/2017 at 10:56 AM, Causofit said:

Did u contact uw people back?

Yes! I am currently visiting the 3D4M program and I like what I see a lot. What area were you accepted for?

Accepted to Glasgow and Goldsmiths immediately after interview. I'd be paying the "international" rate (which is 15-22K pounds per year), though I have EU citizenship, it sounds like they are not offering funding. I already have one offer in the US fully funded plus stipend. 

Anyone have any experience with international schools, or with negotiating a better offer from a school that has not initially offered funding?