The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

7 minutes ago, DA004 said:

9 minutes ago, DA004 said:

Hi, the link is not working. It says unable to edit group.

6 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

I heard that most $ are need based too. Some current students told me that this somewhat puts students from Europe and US on a disadvantage as they are not perceived as financially needy. Ditto for students with some years' employment. You may notice that most scholarship recipients are from Africa, Central Asia and Far East. 

So much about the rumour that IHEID prefers EU and US applicants. It certainly does not show preference in FinAid.

Yeah I agree. I tried to request the financial aid department for a re-evaluation but they seem very rigid. They said I could apply for financial aid next year but it's unlikely and mainly granted to people whose financial needs have changed suddenly. Don't know what to do now. 

3 minutes ago, Policy Analyst said:

Yeah I agree. I tried to request the financial aid department for a re-evaluation but they seem very rigid. They said I could apply for financial aid next year but it's unlikely and mainly granted to people whose financial needs have changed suddenly. Don't know what to do now. 

I guess it is need-based, I got partial scholarship, wondering what profile can get full scholarship...But it is already much cheaper than schools in the States!

Just now, Policy Analyst said:

I would not risk enrollment and count on 2nd year FinAid, chances are small. The only scenario is if you finish top of your class. This sucks that IHEID would not consider a re-evaluation. I think it is less flexible than US programmes. IHEID evaluation is more ticking boxes. I just heard of one US applicant who got full scholarship. Ironic that he did not even enroll as he had other options. There are needy applicants from US and EU with huge student loan debt and they are not covered by the IHEID system.

Edited by CakeTea

11 minutes ago, Policy Analyst said:

Did you reach out to them this week after the results were posted? I was thinking of writing to them the next week.

19 minutes ago, ss2233 said:

Did you reach out to them this week after the results were posted? I was thinking of writing to them the next week.

Yes, I did and they responded within 5 mins. I think it was a pre-drafted response but they are very prompt with the replies. I haven't heard from the admission committee though. 

26 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

I would not risk enrollment and count on 2nd year FinAid, chances are small. The only scenario is if you finish top of your class. This sucks that IHEID would not consider a re-evaluation. I think it is less flexible than US programmes. IHEID evaluation is more ticking boxes. I just heard of one US applicant who got full scholarship. Ironic that he did not even enroll as he had other options. There are needy applicants from US and EU with huge student loan debt and they are not covered by the IHEID system.

Yeah I am not counting on it. I agree it is less flexible than US Schools. I had an offer from Columbia two years back with 50k scholarship. I had to turn it down as it was still quite expensive but they allowed me to appeal for more funding. To be fair their tuition isn't much but it's the living cost in Geneva that is worrying me. 

31 minutes ago, Sade1122 said:

I guess it is need-based, I got partial scholarship, wondering what profile can get full scholarship...But it is already much cheaper than schools in the States!

Yes the Tuition is quite cheap compared to US schools but the living cost is high. Do you mind sharing your profile? I might turn down the offer and re-apply next year. 

Just now, Policy Analyst said:

Yeah I am not counting on it. I agree it is less flexible than US Schools. I had an offer from Columbia two years back with 50k scholarship. I had to turn it down as it was still quite expensive but they allowed me to appeal for more funding. To be fair their tuition isn't much but it's the living cost in Geneva that is worrying me. 

I heard that SIPA allows you an FinAid appeal and increase $$. I know Geneva is one of the most expensive cities in Europe and I get sticker price shock in supermarket. Most internships with IOs are UNpaid. Tuition compares well with US programmes.

3 minutes ago, CakeTea said:

I heard that SIPA allows you an FinAid appeal and increase $$. I know Geneva is one of the most expensive cities in Europe and I get sticker price shock in supermarket. Most internships with IOs are UNpaid. Tuition compares well with US programmes.

Yeah it might especially if you have an offer from another school but they asked me to pay the enrolment deposit before the appeal decision and I had to decline it. Which course would you be pursuing in Graduate Institute?

16 minutes ago, Policy Analyst said:

Yes the Tuition is quite cheap compared to US schools but the living cost is high. Do you mind sharing your profile? I might turn down the offer and re-apply next year. 

Senior Law student in China, GPA 3.5, been in exchange program with Columbia SIPA, now have been working for 4 months in Cairo for a Refugee Legal Aid Program. The motivation letter for the scholarship basically just said my financial need and how important it is for my enrollment.

22 hours ago, PriyankaS said:

We should start a facebook page to get started. I've been looking for facebook groups but haven't found anything.

I also looked for the FB PAGE BUT COULD NOT FIND ANY GROUP. LINK PROVIDED IN THE LATTER POSTS IS SHOWING ERROR.

I have got offer letter for Mdev at IHEID (2017-2019)

1 minute ago, MPAman said:

Are you using the Jahia login? Also, username and PW should not be the same...

Well I mean the username and the pw they gave regarding the online application process. Did they email some new info about the portal coz I did not receive any...

2 hours ago, Sade1122 said:

Well I mean the username and the pw they gave regarding the online application process. Did they email some new info about the portal coz I did not receive any...

No I didn't get any new info about the portal. Same portal (using Jahia login) with the username/pw that they sent in the admitted letter. I had trouble because I kept trying to login using IHEID because I had no idea what Jahia was. Also, the admitted portal is good but I actually think I found more useful information from GISA (Graduate Institute Student Association). mygisa.ch. PM me if you still have trouble.

hey guys so glad i found this group, i have an offer for IHEID and other universities but im not too sure where to go.I would prefer a course that's professionally/quants based over something theoretical and also one with a good brand name and job opportunities 

SOAS: Development studies

Warwick:International development

IHEID: development studies (2yrs)

LSE: African Development

Oxford: Economics for development (9months)

If anyone has any advise or information it would be greatly appreciated 

also Oxford is asking for a first and sufficient GRE scores, what would be considered sufficient ?

10 hours ago, bolustolu said:

hey guys so glad i found this group, i have an offer for IHEID and other universities but im not too sure where to go.I would prefer a course that's professionally/quants based over something theoretical and also one with a good brand name and job opportunities 

SOAS: Development studies

Warwick:International development

IHEID: development studies (2yrs)

LSE: African Development

Oxford: Economics for development (9months)

If anyone has any advise or information it would be greatly appreciated 

also Oxford is asking for a first and sufficient GRE scores, what would be considered sufficient ?

Hi,

If you're looking for a quantitative rigorous course with excellent brand name then go for Oxford. Not sure about the GRE requirement but anything in the top 10-15 percentile should suffice. Another factor to keep in mind is funding. Have you received any scholarship?