The Graduate Institute Geneva(IHEID) 2017-2018

6 minutes ago, panameboss said:

Hmm for me it says:

Program: International Affairs

Program granted (in case of transfer): International History

Do you think this means I've been admitted to International Affairs or International History?

It means you've been admitted to international history.
I'd applied for ANSO but i've been given admission to international history too. Not sure if i'd take it!

17 minutes ago, panameboss said:

Hmm for me it says:

Program: International Affairs

Program granted (in case of transfer): International History

Do you think this means I've been admitted to International Affairs or International History?

It looks like you've been admitted to a different program than the one you applied for. I'm not sure how close the two programs are, but I'd recommend contacting the school to get clarification. Good luck to you! 

24 minutes ago, Asaad Khan said:

I am really happy to see international students getting accepted even though it is absolutely clear that there is some sort of discrimination going on. Those who have been

refused would get into better places I hope

I don't think there is any discrimination. I heard they would only admit americans but I got accepted and I'm from West Africa and all the other guys here who got admitted are from all over the world

I got refused but I am still asked to provide documents.

What do you think this should mean?

Edit: it means I am out. 

Good luck to everyone who got admitted.  To those who didn't, too. 

Edited by Rubezahl

12 minutes ago, Ichoboi said:

I don't think there is any discrimination. I heard they would only admit americans but I got accepted and I'm from West Africa and all the other guys here who got admitted are from all over the world

Agreed. I'm from Tokyo albeit attend a US uni but I was honestly very surprised because the stories were always how they only accept Americans or French-speakers.

9 minutes ago, Kara23 said:

Agreed. I'm from Tokyo albeit attend a US uni but I was honestly very surprised because the stories were always how they only accept Americans or French-speakers.

I am from Brazil (got my degree in Brazil as well). With intermediate French (which urgently needs to become fluent now!).

12 minutes ago, Kara23 said:

hey I studied in Boston too, Suffolk University, What about you?

11 minutes ago, Kara23 said:

Northeastern! 

wow! cool! I'm looking forward to meeting you if I ever decide to attend IHEID. 

I still might not come because I was hoping for a full scholarship but I only received a partial one. And I heard life in Geneva can be pretty expensive!

4 minutes ago, Ichoboi said:

I still might not come because I was hoping for a full scholarship but I only received a partial one. And I heard life in Geneva can be pretty expensive!

Hi!

could you please share your profile? Just curious to know what works 

2 minutes ago, Ichoboi said:

Yes! Either way, congrats and best of luck with your choices :)

I visited IHEID last summer and after being there for a week, it was definitely rough money-wise :o

43 minutes ago, Kara23 said:

Haha I went to Uni in China plus summer school in Columbia, and don't speak French. My GPA is only 3.5 though, so happy after PSIA turned me down!

I got accepted to the MDev program with close to 50% aid (tuition + living). 
I am an applicant from India with an undergrad in mathematics. I have a very strong and long-standing background in social work which is the core of my application. The reason I am mentioning this is because I don't think IHEID is as marks focused as one might think - a shift from math to dev studies is a pretty huge one. The fact that they considered my application based on professional experience is a good sign, I think :)

Congratulations to everyone that got in! And to the others, I am sure there are great thing to come your way :)

Hi guys,

I thought it would be good to share my results since this forum helped me a lot to deal with the stress. It might help those of you who want to apply next year, or future applicants who will come across this website.

I got accepted with full scholarship, Here is some info on my profile:

I am neither American nor French, I come from Central Asia and naturally count as an international (so don't pay attention to those saying the university has some national/ethnic biases)

My gpa is only 3.2 (so grades don't matter that much after all, if you can provide a good justification in your motivation letter. I had to work part time during my studies, which affected my grades).

I also have 2 years of work experience in international organizations directly or indirectly related to development, including an internship I did in Europe. So try to fill up your resume as much as possible, preferably with organizations well-known in the field. 

And I have a pretty difficult financial situation and I am very grateful to the university for the generous scholarship. The extent to which you can pay for your studies is up to you and your family.

It took me 3 years to finally get a decent offer with scholarship. I had an unconditional offer to study at SOAS last year but had to decline the offer no being able to find any funding. So don't give up guys. Just work towards your goal and you will make it.

See you in Geneva. 

Just woke up to the results, it's 3am in my country now... Accepted, with tuition fee scholarship.

Thanks to all for the support from this forum for the past few months :)

@ediypzy :)

Thought I will share my profile here for the future applicants. I have found profiles incredibly useful from past forum threads, I have been 'stalking' them for the past 2 years. Would like to hear from the other applicants as well.

Applied to (and results, if known):
Grade:
Activity outside academic work:
Preparation:
Motivation Letter:
Financial Aid:
What I think is important in application:

Here I go:

Applied to: Mdev (Iheid), International Development (SciencesPo), LSE (Development Management). Accepted for them.

Grade: middle 2:1 in Economics (4 year undergrad prog). In my last semester.

Activity outside academic work: I had an internship with an overseas charity (among other internships less related to development), led 2 overseas school programme for community development, and did other programmes related to social enterprises. So I had a range of activities which I could write about that are related to the programme. I was also part of a pro-bono consulting group as a student, a teaching assistant, and was a research assistant for a faculty for a while.

Preparation: I started following gradcafe since 2 years ago, when I searching for a programme. I made mental notes of important stuff for Iheid (and other schools) and application materials, and doing budget calculations. I messaged past applicants on this forum to find out more. I started writing my motivation letter in May last year, and I asked for recommendation letters from my referees once the school semester opened in August. One of my referee is young, and I took 3 modules under her so she knew me pretty well. My second referee was more senior, I took a module under him, and he was also the supervisor of many of the school programmes, so he knew me even better.

Motivation letter: I talked about how I explored my interest in development during university, and how that led me to the choice of programme and school. I had like 3 versions written from different perspectives and with different structures. I started writing for LSE (1500 words), before using it as a base for the other 2 schools, Iheid (800 words) and SciencesPo (1000 words).

Financial Aid: I detailed very clearly, right down to almost the last cents, about what I have, and what I need.

What I think is important in application: Start early. Almost every school I applied to talk about the importance of writing about why you choose the programme and school, and I tried my best to do so in the motivation letter.

Hope this helps. And I wish the best for every one on this thread. Now back to doing my assignments after this long post (sorry if it is annoyingly long)....

Edited by Autumn Springs
grammar

Hi Guys,

I have been following this forum for a long time and must say it has been very useful. I just got admitted into the Masters in International Economics program and I am ecstatic. However, I did not receive any funding so I am not sure if I will be able to afford it. In any case, I am really happy. Hope to see some of you in Geneva (If I attend) and best of luck to everyone.