5-year programs?

Hi Everyone!

My name is Geena, and I am a senior in high school. I am very interested in becoming an SLP, and I just applied to Misericordia University and East Stroudsburg University. My GPA/class rank/SAT scores are pretty good, but after doing a decent amount of research, I am concerned about grad school acceptance rates. Misericordia has a 5-year accelerated program; therefore, I would not have to worry about taking the GRE's and reapplying for grad school after 4 years. Do you think it is worth paying the extra money?

Please let me know your opinions and experiences. I really need some advice. Thank you!

Ultimately it is up to you if you want to spend the extra money.  Personally, I would have done that had I known.  It definitely would be a guaranteed spot in school and lessen the stress of applications.

My best advice is just worry about your grades as soon as you start college. I've seen so many people say they wish they would have tried their first couple of semesters. Nothing haunts you like a bad GPA lol. I didn't even know these programs existed. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/27/2016 at 3:11 PM, Geena said:

Hi Everyone!

My name is Geena, and I am a senior in high school. I am very interested in becoming an SLP, and I just applied to Misericordia University and East Stroudsburg University. My GPA/class rank/SAT scores are pretty good, but after doing a decent amount of research, I am concerned about grad school acceptance rates. Misericordia has a 5-year accelerated program; therefore, I would not have to worry about taking the GRE's and reapplying for grad school after 4 years. Do you think it is worth paying the extra money?

Please let me know your opinions and experiences. I really need some advice. Thank you!

I am finishing up at Mis right now. I personally have loved my time here. If you go here it will be a place you grow as a whole person it is small enough they push you to be more well rounded. The SLP program is pretty solid and the accelerated program is a plus most importantly Mis gives generous aid in form of scholarships. See what they offer before you commit but if you don't have to take a GRE don't it sucked - unless you like standardized tests? If you have any questions let me know. Best of luck. 

Edited by Armchair_Phil

Before you commit to this, I would make absolutely sure, ABOVE ALL, that you shadow actual SLPs in a variety of settings (public schools, SNFs, hospitals, private practice, home health, etc) for a multitude of hours. It's better to know for sure before you take the leap and end up regretting it halfway. Many people in college will end up changing their majors several times before they finish. I encourage you to make sure you do your research and know for a fact that this is what you want, because if you change your mind partway in, you will lose both money and time. 

8 hours ago, wcslp said:

Before you commit to this, I would make absolutely sure, ABOVE ALL, that you shadow actual SLPs in a variety of settings (public schools, SNFs, hospitals, private practice, home health, etc) for a multitude of hours. It's better to know for sure before you take the leap and end up regretting it halfway. Many people in college will end up changing their majors several times before they finish. I encourage you to make sure you do your research and know for a fact that this is what you want, because if you change your mind partway in, you will lose both money and time. 

Yes, this. I was SOOOOOOO sure in high school that I wanted to be a pediatrician and I actually applied to a couple of combo BS/MD programs. It's a good thing that I didn't get accepted because I changed my mind halfway through my 1st undergrad. Liking science and wanting to work with kids did not actually equal a true desire to become a pediatrician.

10 hours ago, Crimson Wife said:

Yes, this. I was SOOOOOOO sure in high school that I wanted to be a pediatrician and I actually applied to a couple of combo BS/MD programs. It's a good thing that I didn't get accepted because I changed my mind halfway through my 1st undergrad. Liking science and wanting to work with kids did not actually equal a true desire to become a pediatrician.

Yeah that's so true. I went to BOCES in high school and studied veterinary science. Right before I was done with the program, I quit and then in college ended up changing my major three times before finally picking SLP. You may be different and actually know what you want and are SURE of it. But like the others say, definitely make sure you are 100% positive before you commit to something long-term like that. If I knew back in high school that I definitely wanted to do speech, I would have LOVED a 5 year program (I ironically didn't know those existed until earlier today when a coworker mentioned it - so it's funny you posted about it today)