How many times have you taken the GRE?

MissRyan

The general GRE? Just once. I resolved that I was going to retake it if I didn't score at least 1350. (I wound up scoring 1460). So I didn't have to retake it, thank God.

I never bothered taking the subject test.

The general GRE? Just once. I resolved that I was going to retake it if I didn't score at least 1350. (I wound up scoring 1460). So I didn't have to retake it, thank God.

I never bothered taking the subject test.

Heh you set the bar much higher than me. I only took it once, and was pretty happy with my score at the time (1330). I was applying to master's programs then, and for those, a 1330 was considered quite a good score. (Cringe moment: in one of my LORs, one of my professors actually SAID how I have high aptitude because of my "outstanding GRE scores." I couldn't break it to him that for the programs I'm applying to, I'm average to below average at best. And letters had already been sent anyway.) I perhaps should have retaken the GRE once I decided to apply to PhD programs, but knew that really, there wasn't a big chance of improving my score a great deal, though I do believe if I had studied more for the quant I could probably do better...but eh, not sure if I would have seen a large improvement. I gave up on the verbal long ago.

If you think you first got a score that you would likely get a second time (for me, I'm doomed in the 1300 range, was for my SATs and now for my GREs), then don't retake it. At the same time, I don't think it looks weird to take it again, but just make sure you're fairly confident you could increase your score significantly (even if it's keeping the rest the same, but increasing one portion, i.e. the AW, etc).

Same as swisnieski in that I never bothered taking the subject GRE. I like his suggestion though in setting realistically achievable goal and striving to achieve it. Like they say, when it comes to goals and setting expectations, "make them challenging, but reasonable." I.e. don't aim for a 1600 if you're scoring in the 1200s on your practice tests. And if it takes a few tests to get there, so be it.

Took it once. Aimed for 1400 and got a 1390, so I spent some time agonizing over the decision to retake because I was sure I could up my quant score. Finally decided that it was probably not worth the effort and money and just left it as that.

Didn't take the psych GRE either and I initially thought this would limit my range of schools. However, I soon realized that most of the places with a good fit didn't require it, and there was only one program which needed it. Turns out that my POI there asked me to apply anyway (and I'm getting an interview :)), and that they have accepted people who didn't take the subject test, so I'm really glad I didn't bother with the psych test now.

Edited by yusername

I took both of them once. I wanted a 1450 on the general and I got a 1460, so I was satisfied (although the scores didn't break down how I thought they would). I signed up for the psych GRE at the last possible date, crammed for a couple nights, and got a 790 - I wasn't sure what I was aiming for there (mostly not to embarrass myself) but it turned out to be easier than I was expecting.

I took it twice and ended up with a 1100. I am average and I am hoping that programs accepted me based on Fit and not because of a score. I ended up hating the GRE and what it stands for. The adcoms base you off a number and not the work you have done. I have received a grant, wrote a manuscript and will present research this march. They might not even look at my app bc my GRE is too low.

I took the general test once. It was really out-of-the-way for me (I actually had to stay in a hotel), and it cost a lot, so I didn't bother writing it again. I did fine (1360), so who cares.

I didn't take the subject-test at all, because I wasn't coming from a psychology background.

I took the General GRE twice and didn't have to take the subject. My scores still were'nt at the preferred mark, but when I talked to the director of my top program, she told me that some of their best students hadn't meet the preferred mark. Plus, I excelled at everything else in my application. She told me to just mention my GRE in my cover letter and that I was under emotional distress at the time, and if I get called for an interview, I could discuss the GRE with them. She really calmed my nerves when I talked to her about it b/c I HATE the GRE and didn't want to take it again!

I took the general GRE twice. I ended up improving my score by 100 points the second time so it worked out for me. I also took the subject test twice, but only because I was sick the first time I took it and that affected my score a lot. :-(

MissRyan, it depends on the program. Some will only look at the most recent, others will average, others big the best score from each round, others look at all attempts.

I took it once, was assured that schools really just want to ensure that you hit respectable numbers, so I left it at that.

When you take the test twice, do schools tend to look at your two highest scores??

Thanks again everyone!

I took it twice and actually scored lower the second time (1270 was the highest). But I know that all the schools that I have applied to only pay attention to the highest overall score no matter when it was taken.

I took it twice and actually scored lower the second time (1270 was the highest). But I know that all the schools that I have applied to only pay attention to the highest overall score no matter when it was taken.

Are you sure about that? I've heard that they almost always receive all the scores from ETS and they tend to look at the average performance.

Are you sure about that? I've heard that they almost always receive all the scores from ETS and they tend to look at the average performance.

Well the Texas and Texas A&M application status page specifies that the highest score is important. All the schools that I applied to say that the highest is focused on since there are so many reasons that one score can be lower.

Well the Texas and Texas A&M application status page specifies that the highest score is important. All the schools that I applied to say that the highest is focused on since there are so many reasons that one score can be lower.

It does? I'm looking at my status page right now (and the department admissions information) for A&M and I don't see that anywhere. Can you be more specific?

Also, on A&M's "check status" page, down where it verifies GRE scores, they manually recorded both my scores from the first time I took the test, even though this didn't include my higher quant score (I took it twice: the first time both Q&V scores were exactly the same, and the second time quant was higher and verbal was lower(!?!?) but the total was the same both times). So basically, at least from what I'm seeing, they don't appear to do this in thegrad school Hopefully your right though and that the psych department considers all scores!

Edited by jordy

Took it twice. First time, didn't study; second time, did study. My V stayed the same, but I raised my Q by 110 points! I don't plan to take it again - ever.

It does? I'm looking at my status page right now (and the department admissions information) for A&M and I don't see that anywhere. Can you be more specific?

Also, on A&M's "check status" page, down where it verifies GRE scores, they manually recorded both my scores from the first time I took the test, even though this didn't include my higher quant score (I took it twice: the first time both Q&V scores were exactly the same, and the second time quant was higher and verbal was lower(!?!?) but the total was the same both times). So basically, at least from what I'm seeing, they don't appear to do this in thegrad school Hopefully your right though and that the psych department considers all scores!

My mistake. It doesn't say it online, but I specifically remember the grad coordinator saying that they use the highest score. I was pretty worried about it after I made 90 points lower overall the second time I took it. I guess I got lucky b/c I didn't choose A&M as one of my schools the second time and apparently ETS didn't send the lower scores to A&M.

My mistake. It doesn't say it online, but I specifically remember the grad coordinator saying that they use the highest score. I was pretty worried about it after I made 90 points lower overall the second time I took it. I guess I got lucky b/c I didn't choose A&M as one of my schools the second time and apparently ETS didn't send the lower scores to A&M.

Ah, I see. A reliable source indeed! Thanks for sharing that; I feel much better knowing they are sensible about these kinds of things.

Ah, I see. A reliable source indeed! Thanks for sharing that; I feel much better knowing they are sensible about these kinds of things.

I can't believe that some school actually take the average of both scores... That just seems ridiculous.

I can't believe that some school actually take the average of both scores... That just seems ridiculous.

Ridiculous, but true. However, I think they do averages when they have to decide between equally eligible candidates. When evaluating if you're good enough, I guess they could use the highest score to see what you really are capable of (if at all they use the GRE score for such a purpose..but I really doubt it. A&M from the above post seems like they do use the GRE score to evaluate a candidate's eligibility). So if the GRE score serves only as a parameter based on which equivalent applications can be compared, you could argue that taking averages is fair (because the other applicant might not have the financial resources to take the GRE multiple times and hence shouldn't be penalized for it).

It really just makes no since to me how averaging two scores on a test can be fair under any circumstances. And I am not just saying this because that would hurt my chances, but it just seems ridiculous since there are so many things that could effect the outcome of each test.

I just think it's a ridiculous hoop to jump through (and also not merely because I didn't do as well as I would have liked). It's been shown that it is a rather weak predictor of success in graduate school, especially compared to other aspects of an application. My lackluster geometry skills don't speak to my ability to perform the kind of statistics that matter! Grrr I hate the GRE. :angry:

I just think it's a ridiculous hoop to jump through (and also not merely because I didn't do as well as I would have liked). It's been shown that it is a rather weak predictor of success in graduate school, especially compared to other aspects of an application. My lackluster geometry skills don't speak to my ability to perform the kind of statistics that matter! Grrr I hate the GRE. :angry:

It really is unfortunate. My department head was telling me that the GRE means ALOT. He said that a high GRE score can excuse weaker parts of an application. Lets just hope a 1270 (750Q/520V... I have probably worried more about that 230 point difference than necessary..) will cut it.

(750Q/520V... I have probably worried more about that 230 point difference than necessary..)

Most likely. Faculty in my undergrad department have been telling me that many departments consider percentile to be more important than the score itself. Since the majority of people do worse on verbal and better on quant, your score discrepancy probably isn't as big in percentile terms (I don't know the figures off the top of my head). At any rate, quant is more highly valued in psych anyway, and that's a good quant score so I'd think you're OK. B)

Edited by jordy