Here we go again! Aspiring Clinical Psychologists

buttercup8d

This will be my 2nd attempt to get into a clinical psych program. I'm surprised by how quickly the year is going but I also feel a bit exhausted having to do this again after giving it my all last year. I'm really afraid I won't be accepted since my projects have been pending, and my application will not be all that different. I also wrote an amazing personal statement that I worked on for months, and it did get me noticed by my POIs. However, I'm not sure how I can rewrite it (or if I should make my statement more general this time since I believe a flaw in my application was that I was way too specific with my research ideas/interest).

I was wondering if most of you who are re-applying are applying to research-focused programs or more of the general dual programs (like Adelphi, LIU, etc.)? I wanted to ask how you are assessing which programs to apply for. I remember I saw a ton of programs on the interview page which I did not even consider/know about. How are you guys getting your info (just individual research?) What other alternatives than clinical do you have planned (counseling, PsyD programs?)

Thanks in advance!! 

Hello, Im applying to mainly Developmental and clinical psych programs (first cycle). And the reason for that is because of research interest. I've seen alot of students here applying to like 50 schools but try to find a professor of interest that has published in exactly what you hope to study for in the program. Your statement of purpose should reflect that and go in depth on your research questions. I enjoy forensic psychology and sort of that field if I don't get into phd program, I will be taking the LSATs in Feb and applying for Law school. I was going to do phd/JD combined programs anyways. Law school apps boil down to this test only. Do you have research experience? 

• 2 weeks later...

I recognize your username from last cycle--I am reapplying as well! This time, I am still sticking to research focused programs, but I'm definitely casting a broader net; I've noticed from the interviews I did last time that research interests don't have to match 100% for someone to be interested in your application (also, I learned that I need to be more flexible and not so focused on a very specific research interest!).

I decided on my list of schools based on ranking, honestly. I focused on top 50 schools, since those tend to be the most research intensive, then looked more in depth at the labs. In terms of alternatives, I might apply to a neuroscience programs or two; they tend to have less applicants, and have more available spots. I'm also just applying to a lot more schools in general (17 this year vs 12 last year).

This will be my fourth, and likely last, time applying to clinical programs. I'm applying to every school as possible within my research area (forensics). The majority of POIs have been good matches for research interests (I work in multiple topics, which helps). I met a lot of the people I'm applying to at conferences, and other ones I've found by googling programs that do research in my area. I do intend to apply for research-based clinical programs because 1) I love research, and 2) I want to keep my options open in terms of career goals.I'm applying to around 15 programs this time around. I already have a Master's degree in experimental psych, so a government research position will likely be my back-up in case it still doesn't work out for me. Either that, or I'll get an experimental PhD. 

Good luck to everyone! It took me two application cycles before getting accepting into a Ph.D Clinical Psychology program this year, and I understand the pressure and stress from the process. The GradCafe forums were a great support network, and I made some good friends here through the process. 

10 hours ago, hd397 said:

I decided on my list of schools based on ranking, honestly. I focused on top 50 schools, since those tend to be the most research intensive, then looked more in depth at the labs. In terms of alternatives, I might apply to a neuroscience programs or two; they tend to have less applicants, and have more available spots. I'm also just applying to a lot more schools in general (17 this year vs 12 last year).

Assuming you're using the U.S. News "Top Clinical Psychology Programs" Ranking, you're seriously missing out on solid programs by focusing on just the Top 50. I'd actually recommend extending your considerations to the Top 120+ on that list. The U.S. News School Rankings aren't reliable according to my previous research mentors. Many of the "lower ranked" programs actually have a ~90%+ licensure pass rate and ~90%+ internship match rate with full funding provided for students. These types of programs may not be perceived as a "brand name" in the mainstream, but they're recognized favorably within the field if they produce solid training. 

• 3 weeks later...