Day Planners - The only way I can keep everything organized

speechfan222

This is a very random topic, but once I get accepted into graduate school, things are going to be crazy and I'll be keeping pretty busy. The only way I kept track of assignments, due dates, and other non school related events and appointments is with a planner. I normally use a basic planner, but it seems kind of boring. I don't want it to get too busy (too hard to keep track of everything), but I need one that's more exciting and 'fun'.

Does anyone use a planner for school and other things? What type/brand do you use? What kind of planner do you prefer?

I use a combination of google calendar (to tell me where to go when) and workflowy (https://workflowy.com/) to keep track of lists of all kinds. I've been taking notes in this app from about 5 years now (including all meeting notes). It syncs across my computers and my phone. It's searchable, has a very simple design, and allows me to create lists both by dates and by topics. I can move stuff around, duplicate lists, and share them with others. The bullet point structure helps me keep things brief and to the point. I have far too many things to keep track of, including random things due about 5-6 months from now, the odd promise I made to a student or colleague (sure, I'll send you that paper as soon as I get back to my desk, etc.) and things that I submitted months (sometimes years) ago, to be able to keep it all in my head. Even if I could, I wouldn't want to. Having everything written down and checking my list on a regular basis means that I don't need to keep it all memorized. That frees up space for actually important tasks and things that I do need to remember. 

I'm old-fashioned, so I use a Filofax with a four-page week calendar, and use my own style derived from Bullet Journaling. I write every possible 'next step', then check off the ones I've done at the end of the day, and rewrite the ones I haven't on the next page. I also keep track of events, appointments and deadlines in a similar way (and with Google Calendar). 

I use Trello for specific projects. I have one 'list' for each target molecule I'm making. The first card has the molecular structure, then the second card has a checklist of steps I expect it'll take to get there. I can make comments for anything I need to note especially. (Cards are like little notes attached to each list. Hard to describe unless you've tried Trello.) Then, I have a 'primary list' I keep on the left which summarizes the status of the project to date. Really helps me notice which parts are falling behind. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am very picky about stationery, so I use a Paper Source planner (this one) to plan out my weeks at work. I write in how I am going to manage assignments week-by-week and day by day. It's the perfect size for carrying around; each day has a big blank section so I can fit a lot; it's hardbound but still lays flight easily thanks to clever binding; and the cover has flowers and gold foil.

For day to day appointments and meetings I use Outlook, but that's mostly because everyone at my company uses it.

For tasks I tried a bunch of electronic task lists. My favorite was Wunderlist, but none of them really worked for me. The best thing, I found, was a physical list I could write on and check off. I use a really cute one from Sugar Paper.

Everyone seems to use fancy planners! I was just looking for something basic. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! I'm still deciding what planner I'd like to use.

And some of them are pretty expensive! CajunSLP, do you keep the same Erin planner and insert new sheets every year? I really like these planners, but they are somewhat pricey to get a new one every year. Thanks!

Edited by speechfan222

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, I've lost a lot of weight due to not eating (stress) and my back was screwed royally due to sitting all day and sleeping on an air mattress for three months. When times were tough (which was all the time) I had random body aches and pains.

• 1 month later...

This might be a little more work than you are looking for, but, I use a bullet journal as my planner! Specifically a Leuchtturm 1917 dotted journal (I purchased mine from the Goulet Pen Company-- after my package got lost when I tried ordering from Amazon)! The pages come blank-- so it's very much a "DIY" planner. But I LOVE the flexibility it has!

Making a bullet journal that works for you can be a trial-and-error process for sure. But once you come up with a format/layout that works for you, you tend to stick with it and it is incredibly helpful because you made it-- with only yourself in mind! Once you get the hang of your format, it doesn't take very long to pen it out, but I see it as a nice way to relax and just get away from my computer/phone for a bit since I spend SO much time on my computer. I also love that it comes with a small pocket for notes you might write on loose paper, and includes stickers to archive your planner so you can reference it later on if you need!

8 hours ago, LadyScientist said:

This might be a little more work than you are looking for, but, I use a bullet journal as my planner! Specifically a Leuchtturm 1917 dotted journal (I purchased mine from the Goulet Pen Company-- after my package got lost when I tried ordering from Amazon)! The pages come blank-- so it's very much a "DIY" planner. But I LOVE the flexibility it has!

Making a bullet journal that works for you can be a trial-and-error process for sure. But once you come up with a format/layout that works for you, you tend to stick with it and it is incredibly helpful because you made it-- with only yourself in mind! Once you get the hang of your format, it doesn't take very long to pen it out, but I see it as a nice way to relax and just get away from my computer/phone for a bit since I spend SO much time on my computer. I also love that it comes with a small pocket for notes you might write on loose paper, and includes stickers to archive your planner so you can reference it later on if you need!

This is a very good idea. I may definitely have to try it. I'm not very crafty or creative, so I'm kinda hesitant about the do-it-yourself planners, but I may try this one anyway. I currently have a very cheap planner that I'm using that ends around the middle of March. I don't know if I want to continue using it up or start a new one with the new year. I know some planners/calendars don't start right in January, but I may start a new one anyway. Thanks for this advice.

By the way, I noticed your profile says AZ. I'm from AZ too! Where in AZ are you?  You can message me if you don't want to post it here.

I use a planner and it's an essential part of my life. There are 20-30 things that are happening at once at any given time, and I wouldn't be able to keep track of it all if I didn't write them all down.

I tried using Google Calenders but I hate having to click so many buttons to get something on it.

I use a combination of different things. I use the Calendar app on my Mac so it syncs with my iPhone; that keeps tracks of appointments and obligations for me. I then use Habitica (which is an RPG/to-do list combination) to help me stay on task, since the game rewards you for finishing your tasks.