Fall 2017 PhD Application

bachelorette

@songofgallifrey Hello! It is I who have mentioned Ohio State, Cornell, and Kansas as my dream schools in the previous post. Yes, I have also applied to the Brown University and the University of Michigan.

I just got a Skype interview invitation from Brown University! But I have complete no idea what will be asked in the interview. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Lukebw whoops, not sure how I flipped your and the OP's comments there. Congrats on the Brown interview! Did you know that there was going to be an interview process for that program? I've been getting questions from friends/family about whether I'll have interviews or not, and I honestly don't know because my program websites don't say either way.

@songofgallifreyYes, I know there will be an interview if I am shortlisted, because it is explicitly written on the department website. If that information cannot be found on the department website, I will search the GradCafe Results to see whether there were interviews posted by other applicants in the past years. I found it really helpful for me. As far as I know, many interview invitations will come in mid January, but some universities like Ohio State University do not require an interview before making decisions. No news is good news!

On 12/20/2016 at 10:02 PM, oasisthere said:

Anyone applying to the the Second Language Studies program at University of Hawaii at manoa?

I am applying for SLS phD program this year and a bit freaked out after reading a few "reject" posts from past years saying the program is VERY competitive considering they had 10 plus years of research and/or teaching experience and still got a rejection after a couple of interviews with the admission committee.

I have not officially applied yet (did not pay the application fee) and still working on my SOP, but I am nervous about the result already. Anyone who feels the same?

Hi! I also applied to a few PhD programs in SLS/Applied ling, but not Hawaii. Wishing you good luck!

2 hours ago, 2017 said:

does anybody know if all interview requests are sent out at the same time, or if it varies by school? I saw the interview request at NYU and am now really nervous :unsure:

I'm with you! Anxiety is driving me crazy!

But it really depends on department policies. If interview requests are sent from different POIs, it is likely that emails may not be sent in the same day. POIs may have other priorities. Emails may arrive in a few days. Why not search the Results to see what happened last year? 

2 hours ago, 2017 said:

does anybody know if all interview requests are sent out at the same time, or if it varies by school? I saw the interview request at NYU and am now really nervous :unsure:

I just got an interview request email. And, my friend is doing her PhD at NYU and she thinks emails will not be sent at the same day. She said it depends on your specific area. (But she also said she is not sure..) My area is phonetics. What is yours?

10 minutes ago, phonetician1368 said:

I just got an interview request email. And, my friend is doing her PhD at NYU and she thinks emails will not be sent at the same day. She said it depends on your specific area. (But she also said she is not sure..) My area is phonetics. What is yours?

congrats on the interview! My specialization is sociolinguistics. I'm not holding my breath though. NYU is ultra selective. 

EDIT: so you were the person who posted in the gradcafe results, or was that someone else?

Edited by 2017

32 minutes ago, Lukebw said:

I'm with you! Anxiety is driving me crazy!

But it really depends on department policies. If interview requests are sent from different POIs, it is likely that emails may not be sent in the same day. POIs may have other priorities. Emails may arrive in a few days. Why not search the Results to see what happened last year? 

I just checked, and it seems last year NYU sent out a request one week earlier than the others, so you're probably right!

10 minutes ago, 2017 said:

congrats on the interview! My specialization is sociolinguistics. I'm not holding my breath though. NYU is ultra selective. 

Thanks! But, my top-choice is UCSB but I haven't heard anything from them.. so nervous. My friend also applied to UCSB (sociolinguistics specialization) and he said he got an interview request from UCSB yesterday.. so nerve wracking:(

did you also apply to UCSB?

7 minutes ago, phonetician1368 said:

Thanks! But, my top-choice is UCSB but I haven't heard anything from them.. so nervous. My friend also applied to UCSB (sociolinguistics specialization) and he said he got an interview request from UCSB yesterday.. so nerve wracking:(

did you also apply to UCSB?

I didn't apply to UCSB.. I considered it but decided against it. Sorry about you not getting an interview request yet! It's likely that they haven't sent them all out yet. And NYU is a really great program, so you should be proud of that!

4 minutes ago, 2017 said:

I didn't apply to UCSB.. I considered it but decided against it. Sorry about you not getting an interview request yet! It's likely that they haven't sent them all out yet. And NYU is a really great program, so you should be proud of that!

Thanks!! Hope I will get into, at least, one of them! :( Wish you luck!!

1 hour ago, zihei said:

Hi, I got my interview request for UC Berkeley on Friday, specialization in phonetics and socio. 

Congrats! Did you also get an interview request from Georgetown? (if you applied)

My specialization is also phonetics and socio but I applied to theoretical linguistics concentration at Georgetown, not sociolinguistics concentration. 

On 1/15/2017 at 10:38 PM, phonetician1368 said:

Congrats! Did you also get an interview request from Georgetown? (if you applied)

My specialization is also phonetics and socio but I applied to theoretical linguistics concentration at Georgetown, not sociolinguistics concentration. 

Hey there. Thanks! No, I didn't apply to Georgetown. I applied to places that also have a computational focus, so UC Berkeley, UW (Seattle), Stanford, USC  (LA), and UPenn.

2 minutes ago, zihei said:

Hey there. Thanks! No, I didn't apply to Georgetown. I applied to places that also have a computational focus, so UC Berkeley, UWash (Seattle), Stanford, USC  (LA), and UPenn.

Thanks! Good luck on your interview!

6 hours ago, zihei said:

Awesome, congrats! What is your (hopeful) focus? Are you nervous? 

Yeah I am a bit nervous but I think I know what to expect in an interview.  My specialization is also phonetics! But I am more interested in the psychology of language.

I can see that you have applied to many awesome departments! Wish you good luck! 

4 minutes ago, 2017 said:

Anybody have any advice for Skype interviews?

Congrats!

I had an interview a few days ago, and we spent the whole time (about half an hour) discussing my research plan. So familiarizing yourself with your research plan/proposal would be helpful. But different POIs may have different questions in mind. I was extremely nervous before my interview, but as soon as it began I realized that it was just a casual talk. So just make yourself comfortable. Good luck!

5 minutes ago, Lukebw said:

Congrats!

I had an interview a few days ago, and we spent the whole time (about half an hour) discussing my research plan. So familiarizing yourself with your research plan/proposal would be helpful. But different POIs may have different questions in mind. I was extremely nervous before my interview, but as soon as it began I realized that it was just a casual talk. So just make yourself comfortable. Good luck!

perfect, thanks so much! Did your POI expect you to have a specific research project in mind, or did you talk mostly about your interests and what types of projects you might be interested in? 

18 minutes ago, 2017 said:

perfect, thanks so much! Did your POI expect you to have a specific research project in mind, or did you talk mostly about your interests and what types of projects you might be interested in? 

Congrats!

I had a Skype interview a few hours ago! We spent about 20 minutes discussing my research interests. I don't think my POI expected me to have a specific research project. We just talked casually. 

39 minutes ago, 2017 said:

It seemed that my POIs did expect me to have a specific project and they kept asking for more details about that project. I spent half an hour explaining just one research project, so I didn't get a chance to talk about my interests and experience. That interview took place two days after Christmas and I haven't heard back since. 

Edited by Lukebw