Fall 2017 PhD Application

bachelorette

3 minutes ago, cubitl said:

Thanks, the wait list post is mine. I received the email this morning at 6:00 a.m. The application status checklist website still says "under review" for my application too, even though I did get the waitlist notification. I guess being waitlisted does mean it's still technically under review. I'm hoping a spot will open up! Good luck to you, too!

Thanks for your information! It seems that UC Davis is making decisions earlier than last year. Um, I guess this is not a good sign for me. Fingers crossed. 

Best wishes to you!

1 hour ago, A'-movement geek said:

Anyone here got invitation to UMD open house? I haven't received any email from the department. So nervous and panic! 

Hi there. I was invited ten days ago. After confirming that invitation, I have not been contacted by the department for more than a week. So I have no idea what is going on. I sent email inquires to the department today. If you are unsure, it might be a  good idea to send them emails. I think they would be happy to answer inquiries from applicants. 

Edited by Lukebw

2 hours ago, songofgallifrey said:

similarly, can anyone claim the georgetown sociolinguistics acceptances? i've seen a couple on the results page but they're spread out time-wise so i don't know if i should be worried yet that i haven't heard anything.

I got one of them on February 1st and was told that I'd hear about the funding decision in March. I'm not sure how they do admissions because they don't seem to send out decisions all at once. 

6 hours ago, songofgallifrey said:

similarly, can anyone claim the georgetown sociolinguistics acceptances? i've seen a couple on the results page but they're spread out time-wise so i don't know if i should be worried yet that i haven't heard anything.

One of those was mine. I believe they do it by subfield, that's why there were so many acceptances/rejections only for Applied Linguistics back in January. And even within the same subfield, I think they do not send out decisions all at once. As @2017 said above, s/he got her/his acceptance for Socio on Feb 1st. I only got mine yesterday. So don't lose hope, there's still a chance!

@2017 I wonder about the probability of getting funding, as I've seen in the past results that many people ended up being admitted without funding :/ The wait until March is gonna kill me.

1 hour ago, pandalove said:

One of those was mine. I believe they do it by subfield, that's why there were so many acceptances/rejections only for Applied Linguistics back in January. And even within the same subfield, I think they do not send out decisions all at once. As @2017 said above, s/he got her/his acceptance for Socio on Feb 1st. I only got mine yesterday. So don't lose hope, there's still a chance!

@2017 I wonder about the probability of getting funding, as I've seen in the past results that many people ended up being admitted without funding :/ The wait until March is gonna kill me.

Yeah, I'm curious about the funding! I can't make it to the open house, but I'm trying to schedule another day to visit and plan to ask them while I'm there what the situation is. 

6 hours ago, songofgallifrey said:

thanks @2017 and @pandalove for the information! i appreciate it. re: georgetown's open house, could you say when that's happening? i imagine they would send out all of their acceptances with enough lead time for candidates to make travel plans.

the open house is Feb. 24 but last year it seems they accepted people after the open house even. 

On 2017/2/1 at 8:51 AM, cubitl said:

Thanks, the wait list post on the Results Search is mine. I received the email this morning at 6:00 a.m. The application status checklist website still says "under review" for my application too, even though I did get the waitlist notification. I guess being waitlisted does mean it's still technically under review. I'm hoping a spot will open up! Good luck to you, too!

Hi there. I was accepted by UC Davis a few days ago. I am sorry to hear that you are waitlisted. Are you also on the language and mind/brain track? I am not sure whether you still want to go there, but I want to let you know that it is very possible that I will decline the offer. I have got an offer from a university and am still waiting for the decision from another university, which may send out their decisions in early March. So I will make my decisions in about mid March. Sorry for keeping you waiting. I sincerely hope you will have good news from other universities! 

Edited by Lukebw

Congrats to everyone who has received some offers already! Is it possible to know a bit of your backgrounds - are you undergrad students or you're already attending a master's program? Have you got papers (journals/proceedings) published at the time when you were applying? I'm an international undergrad at a not-so-famous university and have got conference presentations when I applied (my GPA is not good though); some of my recommenders are familiar with people in the schools I've applied to, but so far I've only been receiving rejections - even from the schools that I considered to be the best fits. :( I'm not sure what went wrong, so I'd definitely appreciate any kind of sharing on your own profiles or other suggestions!

3 hours ago, lingg said:

Congrats to everyone who has received some offers already! Is it possible to know a bit of your backgrounds - are you undergrad students or you're already attending a master's program? Have you got papers (journals/proceedings) published at the time when you were applying? I'm an international undergrad at a not-so-famous university and have got conference presentations when I applied (my GPA is not good though); some of my recommenders are familiar with people in the schools I've applied to, but so far I've only been receiving rejections - even from the schools that I considered to be the best fits. :( I'm not sure what went wrong, so I'd definitely appreciate any kind of sharing on your own profiles or other suggestions!

I understand what matters is the quality of the sample work and the SOP, not much else. Basically the idea is that people want to see some kind of spark that says you can do original research rather than be a very good student who does the right things and stops there. This, of course, is only an ideal expectation. In reality, I have seen extremely odd decisions made. I do not know what you have in mind when you say your GPA is not good, if it is really too low it might make professors think you are not committed. Also depends on what classes are not so good. 

My MA GPA is not great. But I've done good research and presented it, thought not published yet.

Edited by Dwr

8 hours ago, Dwr said:

I understand what matters is the quality of the sample work and the SOP, not much else. Basically the idea is that people want to see some kind of spark that says you can do original research rather than be a very good student who does the right things and stops there. This, of course, is only an ideal expectation. In reality, I have seen extremely odd decisions made. I do not know what you have in mind when you say your GPA is not good, if it is really too low it might make professors think you are not committed. Also depends on what classes are not so good. 

My MA GPA is not great. But I've done good research and presented it, thought not published yet.

Thanks a lot for your insights! My GPA is 3.5, which I assume is lower than a lot of the strong applicants. I was hoping that my writing sample would look good as I have got conference presentations from it, but probably the adcoms were just not so impressed :/. Guess I might really need to do a master's to improve my chances...

4 hours ago, lingg said:

Thanks a lot for your insights! My GPA is 3.5, which I assume is lower than a lot of the strong applicants. I was hoping that my writing sample would look good as I have got conference presentations from it, but probably the adcoms were just not so impressed :/. Guess I might really need to do a master's to improve my chances...

You're very welcome. They should be happy enough with your GPA if they've got any sense at all. Personally I think it is also possible to pull off a 4.00 only because you do not question things and therefore are flawless at giving back exactly what you have been told in exams. It sounds like your work is promising, too.I believe you can ask for feedback in a carefully worded letter from people who rejected you. It was discussed in some thread somewhere. What is the subfield?

Edited by Dwr

8 hours ago, Dwr said:

You're very welcome. They should be happy enough with your GPA if they've got any sense at all. Personally I think it is also possible to pull off a 4.00 only because you do not question things and therefore are flawless at giving back exactly what you have been told in exams. It sounds like your work is promising, too.I believe you can ask for feedback in a carefully worded letter from people who rejected you. It was discussed in some thread somewhere. What is the subfield?

Sociolinguistics + Phonetics! Actually this is also one reason I've been thinking about, as I noticed that soooo many people are applying for socio. I tried asking one POI who sent me the rejection personally (rather than giving a generic letter on the system) but I haven't heard back since. May I know what's your subfield?