Psychology on Results page

LaurenA

Oh man. So I am applying to an experimental program at the University of Wyoming. I just saw a clinical person had a phone interview on the results section. I know that that is a different sub section, but we both had the same deadline. Also, I would guess clinical would have more applications. I hope the experimental program makes headway and can tell me if I am in or not!

Sorry digits, I've noticed a couple of my programs have started contacting applicants as well, meanwhile my phone and email have been quiet. :(

Just remember, it's not over until you actually have that rejection letter in your hands.

How long do they wait to send you the rejection letter/email if you havent been waitlisted? I wish they would do it that day. lol

Sorry to bring you down digits, but it can take a looooooooong time! The first year I applied, I got rejected everywhere. Some schools sent it maybe March/April (which sucks but is still considerate I think), but one school sent me a letter dated in JULY! I opened it and was like, well duh, I kinda figured.

Edited by LaurenA

Sorry to bring you down digits, but it can take a looooooooong time! The first year I applied, I got rejected everywhere. Some schools sent it maybe March/April (which sucks but is still considerate I think), but one school sent me a letter dated in JULY! I opened it and was like, well duh, I kinda figured.

I agree, last year I got rejection letters from late January to late April. It really just depends on the school. Geez though, July! They really couldn't have told you before that?!?

Congrats to those that got interviews from Columbia!

Would you mind sharing either here or on the results page if (1) the email was a generic one from the Ad-com or if it came from a specific POI, and (2) what sub-field you're applying to. Many thanks :)

Congrats to those that got interviews from Columbia!

Would you mind sharing either here or on the results page if (1) the email was a generic one from the Ad-com or if it came from a specific POI, and (2) what sub-field you're applying to. Many thanks :)

yes, please, I would love to know as well :)

I got a call from a professor yesterday saying that behavioral neuroscience will be finalizing decisions soon, so it might not apply to all divisions.

Oh no, you've already heard from UCLA already for the behavioral neuroscience program? I haven't heard anything either way, but I assume a rejection will be coming soon.

Oh no, you've already heard from UCLA already for the behavioral neuroscience program? I haven't heard anything either way, but I assume a rejection will be coming soon.

I heard from them a little more than a week ago but haven't gotten anything official in the mail yet, so there might still be hope! It sounded like they were having the faculty make phone calls, and sometimes that takes a while.

I heard from them a little more than a week ago but haven't gotten anything official in the mail yet, so there might still be hope! It sounded like they were having the faculty make phone calls, and sometimes that takes a while.

Okay, that's good to hear. Did you have a phone interview or did they just call to accept you?

In trying to keep my mind off . . . well you know what, this is what I came up with:

New Disorder to be in DSM-V

Obsessive Compulsive Application Disorder (OCAD)

5 of the following 7 criteria must be present:

1) Several discrete (or not) episodes of failure to resist aggressive impulses that result in bringing up applications and/or graduate programs at inappropriate times.

2) Recurrent failure to resist impulses to check email at inappropriate times (e.g. in a movie theatre, at work, on a date).

3) No pleasure, gratification, or relief when checking email unless email contains new message from one of potential graduate programs.

4) Irritability or aggressiveness, often taken out on others applying to the same graduate programs.

5) Chronic feelings of emptiness.

6) Has a sense of entitlement (i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations).

7) The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

In trying to keep my mind off . . . well you know what, this is what I came up with:

1) Several discrete (or not) episodes of failure to resist aggressive impulses that result in bringing up applications and/or graduate programs at inappropriate times.

2) Recurrent failure to resist impulses to check email at inappropriate times (e.g. in a movie theatre, at work, on a date).

3) No pleasure, gratification, or relief when checking email unless email contains new message from one of potential graduate programs.

4) Irritability or aggressiveness, often taken out on others applying to the same graduate programs.

6) Has a sense of entitlement (i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations).

7) The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

AHHHHHHHHHH damn!!! I have it! What do I do to overcome it?

Love it! I hope there is a cure in everyone's immediate future! And by immediate, I mean within the next five minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant!

Unfortunately the treatment is very rare (and very expensive). It is admission to a psychology PhD program. Best of luck!

I do have an acceptance but don't think I'm cured yet. Waiting on the other schools still gives me the jitters, though at least I can say I've begun treatment and have taken the first step to recovery...