Anyone heard back from PhD programs?

George

Another update: Tennessee had sent me an email rejection before, and a bit later, someone from there emailed me to say (among other things) that though I might get a rejection notification, they might overturn it. And today in the regular mail I got a letter offering me admission. So I am now three for three, which is very surprising.

Looks like I may be going there too. I've got accepted to 4 master's program and am just waiting to hear on funding.

I am worried about living there without a car for 5 years. The area around the university seems more spread out and suburban than what I'm hoping for, though there are tram lines and busses. I'll have to do more research on the city and when I visit try to see how easy it is to take their public transit.

You could just get a car, right?

You could just get a car, right?

I want to live somewhere where I don't need one. Part of it is that I really do want to try living without a car, but a larger part is that I want to live somewhere denser and more urban. I've lived in the suburbs my entire life.

I have a car now (impossible to go to UB without one), and will sell it, for the record.

I received via email a notification of acceptance from Princeton's PACM (PhD) today for fall 2010 start in applied math. Have accepted @ Princeton and declined and withdrew other applications/offers (Stanford, ...).

Got a call from UNC today saying they were interested in me and if their offer wouldn't be wasted. I'm currently elated. Currently 3 out of 3, though if that waiting list report is true for NW, I'm probably rejected, but I can live with that. So far UNC(funded), RPI(probably funded), and UW (unfunded) have all accepted. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Any news on Rice, Brown or JHU? I see that Brown sent out their rejections early March 2009, so I'll probably know then.

Got a call from UNC today saying they were interested in me and if their offer wouldn't be wasted. I'm currently elated. Currently 3 out of 3, though if that waiting list report is true for NW, I'm probably rejected, but I can live with that. So far UNC(funded), RPI(probably funded), and UW (unfunded) have all accepted. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Any news on Rice, Brown or JHU? I see that Brown sent out their rejections early March 2009, so I'll probably know then.

Rice sent out their top picks the last week of JAn.

Edited by yuekai

Hey,

I saw some accepts for UC berkeley,caltech and michigan which are schools i m applying to. Anyone know if they would be sending out more accepts or they re done?

I'm pretty sure Berkeley sent out all its first round picks on Jan 28. Based on past years it looks like hardly anyone gets in after that, but who knows what will happen this year. I'm waiting to hear from them too, but not hopeful.

Edited by kroner

Hi all the mathematicians :) I received an email from Indiana-bloomington which mentioned I am in wait-list but with low hope :( I wanna know any of you can help me about this program and tell me how should I trust in their wait-list? thanks in advance :rolleyes:

I was accepted to Duke yesterday. They have this really cool system that allows you to accept/decline their offer online and I already declined it.

I also withdrew 6 of my apps yesterday. This is 6*(90 (app fee average) + 20(GRE) + 20(Subject GRE) + 20 (toefl)) = $900 wasted, not that I'm complaining or anything. Since I will be rejected for sure from the other schools (Harvard, Berkeley, Chicago and Yale) now I really hope that nothing goes wrong with Stanford (I mean nothing like this: ) . Do you guys have any idea when they send the official letters? I already received the letter from Caltech and it dated 11/02 which means that it takes approximately one week for a letter from California to reach me.

I received my acceptance to CMU on friday, to the program in Pure and Applied Logic. Had already been rejected from Chicago and MIT (no real surprise). Am still waiting on Penn State, UIC (will probably decline these two if accepted), Penn, Cornell and Berkeley (which I realize is a long shot by now).

Fingers crossed!

Any of the UCSD folks indicate they wanted to do the CSME program? The CSME web page suggests that admissions are performed "together with the CSME admissions committee". Getting a little itchy with those offers flying around the past couple of days.

Time to chug some nyquil and forget about the day's problems...

As many others I got the first word from Brown (applied math) yesterday, waitlisted at the moment. Kinda surprised since I know that I'm not necessarily a good fit for the entire dept., although very good for a few profs.

Also got accepted to UNC's Stat & OR program earlier today. Even though it was sort of expected (spent some time there as a visitor and had recommendations from two profs in the dept.) it was great to finally hear something. Now if only all the others would follow suit and let me know

So I just got an email from Penn State saying:

"As the Director of Graduate Admissions for the Department of Mathematics at Penn State, I am contacting you about your application to our PhD program. We have read your file, and are impressed by your credentials - I would like to see if you are still interested in coming here to study mathematics.

Before making you an offer, I would like to speak to you directly, is there a time this week when we could talk? Please send me a list of possible times, along with the best phone numbers at which you can be reached."

Anyone have an idea what this means? I emailed him back saying I'd be open tomorrow afternoon, though I don't want to be unprepared for this.

Edited by oxeimon

"As the Director of Graduate Admissions for the Department of Mathematics at Penn State, I am contacting you about your application to our PhD program. We have read your file, and are impressed by your credentials - I would like to see if you are still interested in coming here to study mathematics.

Before making you an offer, I would like to speak to you directly, is there a time this week when we could talk? Please send me a list of possible times, along with the best phone numbers at which you can be reached."

Anyone have an idea what this means? I emailed him back saying I'd be open tomorrow afternoon, though I don't want to be unprepared for this.

Maybe they're interested in nominating you for a university fellowship, but don't want to if you're really not that interested in going there? I suppose it's also theoretically possible that they're attempting to see if they can get you to come without offering something like a fellowship. There's really no reason for them to call you unless they're fishing for some kind of information. Technically it depends on your level of interest/competing offers, but I think good general advice would be to not give away anything too specific (unless you get a feel about what they're looking for, and can play it to your advantage), and give the general impression that you're still very interested in going there, but also still open to other options.

Can you please share your experience after you are done?