Anyone heard back from PhD programs?

George

I just received an e-mail telling me that I've been recommended for admission to the graduate program in mathematics at the California Institute of Technology. I guess this is an acceptance. No word of funding.

I just received an e-mail telling me that I've been recommended for admission to the graduate program in mathematics at the California Institute of Technology. I guess this is an acceptance. No word of funding.

Congratulations!

I just got an informal acceptance for University of Waterloo C&O dept. I am so excited!!

Congrats!

Too bad about having to wait for funding info.

Edited by hubris

I applied for a master's degree in math and have been accepted to Miami University of Ohio and Bowling Green State University. No word on funding yet. Does anyone know how long it generally takes to hear about funding?

Looks like MIT started sending rejections today. I just got mine. I don't really care, they would've made me take the IELTS, so I wouldn't have gone there in the first place.

HAHA they just sent me the exact same rejection e-mail again. Should I reply: "Relax folks I get it, no need to spam me anymore." :)

Edited by ebaronov

Ive applied to a handful of schools for Stats or Biostats, schools like Purdue (highest ranked school I applied to), Boston U, UCLA, UC Davis, Arizona State, and a few others. Havent heard anything from them and I am starting to get worried. I feel like Im not going to get into any school, let alone get in with funding.

Ive applied to a handful of schools for Stats or Biostats, schools like Purdue (highest ranked school I applied to), Boston U, UCLA, UC Davis, Arizona State, and a few others. Havent heard anything from them and I am starting to get worried. I feel like Im not going to get into any school, let alone get in with funding.

I assume you know about the results page but just in case, here: http://thegradcafe.c...urvey/index.php you can search for results from any program at any school. I have applied only to Purdue (to the math program) from the schools you listed and I am pretty sure they are no results here from them. So don't worry it's still early and even if you see some acceptances on the results page that doesn't mean you're rejected. Even programs that admit only 10 or so students have multiple rounds of acceptance.

I assume you know about the results page but just in case, here: http://thegradcafe.c...urvey/index.php you can search for results from any program at any school. I have applied only to Purdue (to the math program) from the schools you listed and I am pretty sure they are no results here from them. So don't worry it's still early and even if you see some acceptances on the results page that doesn't mean you're rejected. Even programs that admit only 10 or so students have multiple rounds of acceptance.

Thanks for the info and advice ebaronov , but I know about the results archive. I actually check it many times a day! I guess ill just have to sit tight and wait. Good luck with all your applications!

Got into University of Washington's Applied Math for an M.S., though I had applied for Ph.D. About two weeks ago, I got into RPI's Mathematical Science for Ph.D. I'm just waiting to hear on Rice, seeing as the University of Washington, RPI, and Rice were the three main schools for my field of interest (Inverse Problems). Applied also to Brown and JHU, but don't expect to get in. Plus I probably fit in more at the previous three schools...

Looks like MIT started sending rejections today. I just got mine. I don't really care, they would've made me take the IELTS, so I wouldn't have gone there in the first place.

HAHA they just sent me the exact same rejection e-mail again. Should I reply: "Relax folks I get it, no need to spam me anymore." :)

Also rejected here, lol.

Where will you go? Stanford or Caltech?

I just remembered that one of profs turned down MIT for the same reason. :lol:

Just got my first response, an acceptance from Utah. It isn't the highest on my list, but it definitely feels great to have a baseline.

Will definitely have to visit though, not sure about living in Salt Lake City.

Stanford. I visited the campus in the summer and now it will be very difficult for me to reject their offer. :)

If you are sure about this, than it would be great if you could withdraw your application from all those lesser schools, so everyone else has a chance :P

If you are sure about this, than it would be great if you could withdraw your application from all those lesser schools, so everyone else has a chance :P

Congrats on your acceptance.

I've been thinking about withdrawing but I'm not sure how it's done. Who do I email? The department, the gradschool? What do I say? I have 11 more schools to hear from and I'm pretty sure that I won't be going to 10 of them.

BTW Got rejected from Princeton yesterday.

I've been thinking about withdrawing but I'm not sure how it's done. Who do I email? The department, the gradschool? What do I say? I have 11 more schools to hear from and I'm pretty sure that I won't be going to 10 of them.

From experience the department should suffice, but if you are even marginally willing to consider the other schools sit back and wait.

You can always decline asap.

Just got my first response, an acceptance from Utah. It isn't the highest on my list, but it definitely feels great to have a baseline.

Will definitely have to visit though, not sure about living in Salt Lake City.

Congrats! :D

Regarding SLC the whole Mormon thing? If so, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

BTW Got rejected from Princeton yesterday.

So did I (and plenty of others). Congrats to your acceptances and Stanford and Caltech.

You should e-mail the DGS about your withdrawals.

@origin: Grats! Weren't you interested in Algebraic Geometry? One senior profs here at <good British Maths department> who is an algebraic geometer went to Utah for his PhD.

sD.

Edited by someDay

Thanks for the congrats, all :D

Congrats! :D

Regarding SLC the whole Mormon thing? If so, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not worried about it being super Mormon, I think most (secular) universities are pretty liberal places, so I would get along no matter where I went. The Buffalo area is super Catholic, and I get along just fine. I am worried about living there without a car for 5 years. The area around the university seems more spread out and suburban than what I'm hoping for, though there are tram lines and busses. I'll have to do more research on the city and when I visit try to see how easy it is to take their public transit.

@origin: Grats! Weren't you interested in Algebraic Geometry? One senior profs here at <good British Maths department> who is an algebraic geometer went to Utah for his PhD.

sD.

Yes, and the algebraic geometry seems good there. As far as research goes, I'm worried it doesn't have enough differential geometry. I'm not sure which I might want to continue in, so right now I'm looking for a balance. Actually I'm leaning more towards diff. geometry right now, but thats probably entirely due to me having a grad class in it right now.

Edited by origin415

Another update: Tennessee had sent me an email rejection before, and a bit later, someone from there emailed me to say (among other things) that though I might get a rejection notification, they might overturn it. And today in the regular mail I got a letter offering me admission. So I am now three for three, which is very surprising.