How should I go about applying to a school that rejected me last year?

positivitize

Question

Hello, 

Last fall, I applied to a Literature MA program. Unfortunately, I did not receive an offer of admittance. I was told that I was one of the last candidates cut and that I had been a favorite of at least one member of the admission committee. Taking that with a grain of salt, I feel fairly confident in saying that my materials (LoRs, SOP, CV, and Writing Sample) all reflected positively on me. I want to apply to the same school again this year, but I am not exactly sure how to go about it. 

Most of my materials are the same. Because I am 30 years old and a few years removed from college, I am not forging new relationships with new professors and attaining different LoRs is not likely. While my CV has not changed, I have completely redone my SoP. My question concerns the Writing Sample.

Last year, I submitted an original argument and analysis of a major work by the major American author that I wish to study. Nothing fancy, just solid literary analysis, good quote-work, interesting conclusions--very meat and potatoes. While I have edited and tweaked that writing sample, it is not markedly different from last year. Do I submit the same writing sample this year as I have a sneaking suspicion it was the strongest part of my application last year? 

My other option is for me to revamp one of my older papers--one that is a far cry from meat and potatoes lit crit: I use psychoanalysis (NOT currently a particularly popular mode of critical inquiry) to analyze the television show Battlestar Galactica (2004) (NOT the most standard of texts). While I daresay that I do a good job offering a compelling argument that hinges on a clear understanding of my theoretical framework and excellent textual evidence, I'm not sure that this Writing Sample would do me any favors. While it shows evidence of my elasticity as a scholar, it doesn't directly speak to my desired field of study.

Should I show the admissions board something new, different, and flashy? Or should I stick with a refined version of the Writing Sample that they've already seen? If I wasn't _so_ close last year, it would be easy to decide to go in a different direction. How should I handle this situation?

Thanks in advance!

9 answers to this question

Well, I think that you should definitely try to rework a new writing sample. You don't want them to remember you and think that you're a one trick pony. However, if you revamp the new sample and you don't think it isn't strong enough, just go with the original one.

On 12/4/2016 at 0:21 PM, positivitize said:

Also, how are you liking Indiana? They are fairly high up on my list this year. Any advice on getting in?

So, I'm an undergrad here, but I know some of the admission committee members pretty well. Be interesting in your SOP. I know that's pretty general advice, but they are definitely looking for interesting people that will enrich their program, so show your personality. Also, I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure they have some cutoffs for your GPA and GRE. So, check on that. But overall, it's a really great school and they are interested in a wide breadth of knowledge. I would contact Judith Brown. She's very cool, and I bet she'll reply to your questions.

On 11/20/2016 at 11:07 AM, positivitize said:

I was told that I was one of the last candidates cut and that I had been a favorite of at least one member of the admission committee.

Just curious, did they mention the main (or any) of the factors that kept you out? If they mentioned a soft spot in your materials--or where others were stronger--you might want to take the time in your SOP to describe what you have done in the past year to fill in the gaps.

Hi folks, thanks for the replies. Sorry that I've been slow to respond. I've been applying to programs while feverish with Flu, so hopefully I didn't mess anything up too badly.

20 hours ago, Quickmick said:

Just curious, did they mention the main (or any) of the factors that kept you out? If they mentioned a soft spot in your materials--or where others were stronger--you might want to take the time in your SOP to describe what you have done in the past year to fill in the gaps.

They did, but they aren't really things that I can fix. They cited my lower GPA (3.02 Cum, 3.91 Major) as the ultimate reason that I didn't make the final cut, and that's gonna stay the same unless I go back to undergrad. I have completely retooled my SOP and I think it's better this year.

On 12/3/2016 at 11:32 AM, JessicaLange said:

Well, I think that you should definitely try to rework a new writing sample. You don't want them to remember you and think that you're a one trick pony. However, if you revamp the new sample and you don't think it isn't strong enough, just go with the original one.

Thank you! I'll do the work and see where things land. Worst case scenario is that I've got two polished pieces of writing to show off to admissions committees. Also, how are you liking Indiana? They are fairly high up on my list this year. Any advice on getting in?

Hi @positivitize, may I ask: what kind of changes have you made to your SoP? More faculty-oriented? 

Good luck for your new applications. Your last piece sounds awesome, and I'm sure being original will help!

31 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Hi @positivitize, may I ask: what kind of changes have you made to your SoP? More faculty-oriented? 

Good luck for your new applications. Your last piece sounds awesome, and I'm sure being original will help!

Hi @Yanaka , I'm glad you think psychoanalysis + Battlestar sounds fun. The piece still needs a lot of work but it's shaping up okay.

My SoP from last year was very safe, generic, and flavorless. It didn't do much more than say "Hi, I'm X, I want to study Y with Z at your school." While it was clear and straightforward, it was bland and erred too much toward a biographical history of me as a candidate. While I don't think it hurt me, I don't think it did me any favors.

This year I am much more specific. I get into the nitty gritty of what I want to do in the future and what I've done in the past that sets me up as a scholar. I'm actually much less faculty oriented than I was, but that's by design (my advisor suggested against name-dropping specific people because department bios are notoriously out of date/inaccurate). It's strange, but when I say what I want to study and how I've already studied it a bit, I look like I kinda know what I am talking about!

If you'd like to see the two SoPs, feel free to message me.

Thank you @positivitze! I'm working on my next SoP's -- and a little frustrated my top choice had the earliest deadline -- so your input is interesting. I'm also considering not mentioning any names and being more oriented on the course catalog, but I know it also depends on what the school wants to actually read in an SoP... I am not against taking a look at your SoPs, thanks! I'll pm you :) 

23 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

I'm also considering not mentioning any names and being more oriented on the course catalog, but I know it also depends on what the school wants to actually read in an SoP... I am not against taking a look at your SoPs, thanks! I'll pm you :) 

I wouldn't rely too much on the course catalog, particularly at the graduate level. A lot of courses will have vague titles or descriptions plus it gives you no sense of whether the course is actually offered, particularly at state universities where course numbers may be shared across multiple institutions. Also, having now seen this a lot, it's much easier to keep a course on the books even though there's no one in the department to teach it than it is to add a new course later. Consequently the catalog may have courses in it which haven't been offered in several years.

True, @rising_star. I am trying to use them as examples of how the school's academic orientation speaks to my choice... But now I'm confused, I don't know how to describe how a school fits...

Edited by Yanaka