What applications look like

Lauren the Librarian

Yesterday, I got to see my application packet to a program I was accepted to. I wasn't allowed to read the whole thing, but I was glancing at it while my advisor and I were meeting and "getting to know each other."

I wanted to share with the forum what my packet looked like (one data point is better than none).

It was a plain, manila folder with a label on the tab with my name on it. In my opinion, it was really thick, at least 75 pages or more filled with papers, some stapled together. Every stapled section of the pile had a cover page (for each LoR, for example). Throughout the folder I could see highlighted spots on some pages such as my GRE score, my program or speciality and GPA. It looked like a typical "file" but it was much thicker than I would have thought. Everything I sent them or they sent to me was in that file, including every email exchange printed out and highlighted for key elements. "Received on" dates were stamped on the upper corners of most of the pages. My SoP-submitted with the online uploader-was printed out in a Courier-type font, size 8-10. Looking at it, my main thought was, "Omg, the adcom has to look through how many of these?"

I have no idea how the adcoms do it. And I totally sympathize with the notion of having GRE and GPA cuttoffs in the first round. A "holistic" review for every applicant seems like it would be a total nightmare.

This is really interesting. Can you clarify something for me? When you say that "every email exchange" was "printed out and highlighted for key elements," what kinds of emails would those have been? With your potential advisor? The graduate secretary?

The ones I saw and could identify were to/from the grad coordinator. I never contacted potential advisors. But there were 5-7 emails that I couldn't identify. (Maybe they were from advisor to advisor?) Whether I wanted to go full-time or half-time was highlighted. At least two other items were highlighted but I don't know what they were.

Haha, that's horrifying. Maybe The Grad Cafe is secretly operated by graduate schools as a means of acquiring further information about candidates and observing them when they don't know that they're being observed....

ZOMG! CONSPIRACY!

I've had enough stress and lack of sleep to almost find this idea plausible!! :o

That and I just find conspiracy theories fun.

I, too, am glad to hear about the email record. I am always so hard on myself for taking an hour to write a simple email to a professor because I obsessively proofread it. I guess my sometimes-perfectionist tendencies may pay off.

Thank you for posting this! I love hearing information and details like this! It gets me anxious and excited for some reason--thinking that there are seven bulging files on me scattered across the nation! :o

I wonder how old we have to be before people stop watching and judging our every step,

If you're going into academia, never!

and we get to watch other people? :D

If you're going into academia, right away. It's all about everyone judging everyone! Starting your first year, you'll be writing critique papers for class and commenting on your colleagues' research ideas in lab meetings...and soon after, you get to start reviewing for journals!

If you're going into academia, never!

If you're going into academia, right away. It's all about everyone judging everyone! Starting your first year, you'll be writing critique papers for class and commenting on your colleagues' research ideas in lab meetings...and soon after, you get to start reviewing for journals!

it's an academic panopticon!! (wouldn't Foucault be proud?)