2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

4 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Both Chicago and UIUC were quite positive. However, at UIUC I felt that ALL the faculty were invested in getting to know me, even if I wasn't interested in their field of research. 

Has anyone visited Scripps La Jolla? 

I visited La Jolla this past weekend and loved it. I wasn't expecting much, but the visit was well organized, the interviews were interesting, and the graduate students were great to talk to. It has moved to the top of my list for graduate school...

8 hours ago, Orgojojo said:

Has anyone had any weird/uncomfortable visits? Or have your visits been positive? 

I did not like Ohio State OSBP Program. The grad students seemed happy, but I did not like any of my interactions with the faculty. I had concerns about moving to the midwest, but I was willing to consider it due to the amazing research they are doing. The visit did not really inspire me to do that, though.

46 minutes ago, Chemcat said:

I visited La Jolla this past weekend and loved it. I wasn't expecting much, but the visit was well organized, the interviews were interesting, and the graduate students were great to talk to. It has moved to the top of my list for graduate school...

Hey Chemcat thanks for the insight! How intense were the interviews? What groups are you most interested in?

I'm visiting this weekend and am interested in Yu, Engle, and Shenvi. 

30 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Hey Chemcat thanks for the insight! How intense were the interviews? What groups are you most interested in?

I'm visiting this weekend and am interested in Yu, Engle, and Shenvi. 

The interviews aren't intense at all, compared to the other program I've interviewed with. It's essentially informal conversations about your research interests and the research that their group does. I asked some questions about moving from synthesis into chemical biology and tried to get a feel for the PI's mentorship style. I'm interested in Cravatt, Wiseman, Kelly, and Romesberg. Definitely know your own research, know why it's important etc. But also be ready to discuss your future goals and ask questions about the program. Honestly I don't think they cut much at this point, assuming you give them no red flags (behaving poorly, getting very drunk in front of profs, insinuating you're not interested in Scripps, etc.). Also heads up for those without interviews--they only invited 17% to interview this year (if I remember correctly) so that's slightly less than in the past. 4 of my 7 interviews were group interviews so don't be surprised if you get that when interviewing with a popular professor.

9 hours ago, Chemcat said:

The interviews aren't intense at all, compared to the other program I've interviewed with. It's essentially informal conversations about your research interests and the research that their group does. I asked some questions about moving from synthesis into chemical biology and tried to get a feel for the PI's mentorship style. I'm interested in Cravatt, Wiseman, Kelly, and Romesberg. Definitely know your own research, know why it's important etc. But also be ready to discuss your future goals and ask questions about the program. Honestly I don't think they cut much at this point, assuming you give them no red flags (behaving poorly, getting very drunk in front of profs, insinuating you're not interested in Scripps, etc.). Also heads up for those without interviews--they only invited 17% to interview this year (if I remember correctly) so that's slightly less than in the past. 4 of my 7 interviews were group interviews so don't be surprised if you get that when interviewing with a popular professor.

That's great to hear! But, I wonder if the organic interviews are comparatively more intense. I also heard it was more competitive this year at UIUC (admissions officer told us 10%) and U Chicago (class size had to be lessened due to over-enrollment the previous year). 
Something that I heard about Scripps is that the professors want you to commit to the program ASAP or you won't get the rotations that you want. 

17 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

I also heard it was more competitive this year at UIUC (admissions officer told us 10%) 

Really they only accepted  10% of all applications ?? That seems super low doesn't it

55 minutes ago, matsguy said:

Really they only accepted  10% of all applications ?? That seems super low doesn't it

Not really, I thought that 10% was expected for the upper-tier programs. Also, they could have been rounding down, so the real number could be around 12-13%. UIUC is also smaller than other programs like Wisconsin.

Is anyone else feeling a lot of pressure from POIs to make a decision? I dont like it..after the Scripps visit I'm pretty confident I'll be going there, but I don't want to  say anything official to the many of the other schools yet. 

I am planning on saying No to UCLA, UC Irvine, Boston U, and Pitt today. 

6 hours ago, Orgojojo said:

Did anyone else get an interview email from Dartmouth? Is it an interview, an acceptance, or both? 

I received my interview email from them originally in January, after my interview in February I received a formal offer last week. 

1 hour ago, Chemee said:

I received my interview email from them originally in January, after my interview in February I received a formal offer last week. 

How was it? 

7 hours ago, Orgojojo said:

How was it? 

It genuinely didn't feel like an interview at all, rather an informal conversation. It was nice and not strenuous at all! 

On 3/9/2017 at 5:16 PM, chem1995 said:

On UNC's website it says the visitation weekend is March 10 and 24. Those are coming up very shortly; is it safe to assume if we didn't hear back then it is a rejection?

My guess is that they are waiting to see if people decline their offer after the first visitation, that way they know how many more people they can accept. At least that's my hope, as I too am waiting for their response 

hii all applied for 3 universities and waiting for results. checking my inbox for more than fifteen times a day, god this waiting freaks me out. anybody got admission news from UoA or from carleton please reply.

Edited by Batzzy

2 hours ago, Nate_Chemistry said:

Did any organic people get asked to be on a waitlist for UCLA?

I was put on the UCLA organic waitlist back in February. However, I'm probably going to decline soon and accept UIUC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did anyone admitted by Columbia but decided not to go?

I was put on the wait list of Columbia, and I am wondering what the chance of being accepted is...

So if anybody decides not to go there, could you send the letter to inform them, please?   QAQ

3 hours ago, star350344 said:

Hi, did anyone admitted by Columbia but decided not to go?

I was put on the wait list of Columbia, and I am wondering what the chance of being accepted is...

So if anybody decides not to go there, could you send the letter to inform them, please?   QAQ

I just declined the offer theough their website. Best of luck!