2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

18 hours ago, jeromass said:
UMich gave me a message..
"A decision has been made.  Your program of application will inform you of the decision."

.... Is this it?......

This is what it, the first screenshot, shows on my "view decision" link. If accepted, the program should have notified you first and then send in a recommendation to Rackham, and there should be a link in your application status page for the rec, as shown in the second screenshot. That's how it's normally done as described on their website.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.22.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.25.08 PM.png

Edited by NoMoreOrgo

6 hours ago, NoMoreOrgo said:

This is what it, the first screenshot, shows on my "view decision" link. If accepted, the program should have notified you first and then send in a recommendation to Rackham, and there should be a link in your application status page for the rec, as shown in the second screenshot. That's how it's normally done as described on their website.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.22.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.25.08 PM.png

Thank you for informing me...

I expected that.

"will inform" means "Bye, good luck..."

Still in the waiting game...have anyone heard back from Boston University for Organic and UNC Chapel Hill? I know some people have already heard back from UNC Chapel Hill, but does this mean I'm on the waitlist? I'm sure some rejections have been sent out already, but I haven't heard anything back. Thanks! 

5 hours ago, someapplicant said:

Does anyone know if Stanford and Berkeley are still sending out acceptances? Those who got accepted, could you guys share what the deadline is to respond about the visitation weekend?

For Berkeley, the first deadline for signing up for the March 3-4 visit is Feb 3.

Edited by Psyduck_1

7 hours ago, KR_ChemIntern said:

Anyone got any rejections from wisconsin or Chicago?? I am still waiting for them but not expecting good result as well..

Im still waiting on Wisconsin as well.

I have been accepted to Wisconsin Penn State  and OSU,  and rejected by MIT, but I still haven't heard anything from UMich.  I also haven't heard from Utah,  Minnesota,  or Illinois US.  Other than UMich (I am assuming that I've been wait listed) has anyone heard from any of these other schools? 

Hmm..what do you guys think about posting the sign up deadlines for each school that we've been admitted to? Maybe it can help clear up some of thr mystery..

I'll post some and come back later (a bit busy currently)

University of Chicago - February 7th

University of Michigan - February 3rd

Scripps Cali - January 15th

Northwestern University - February 17th

UCLA -  February 10th

UIUC - no deadline listed

Boston University - February 3rd

I was put on the UCLA waitlist this afternoon. 

To be fair, I kind of rushed that particular application. I'm organic.

Still waiting for a response from Scripps (likely a no at this point), UC Irvine, Madison, Chapel Hill, and Penn.

14 minutes ago, LetsgetCOSY said:

I was put on the UCLA waitlist this afternoon. 

To be fair, I kind of rushed that particular application. I'm organic.

Still waiting for a response from Scripps (likely a no at this point), UC Irvine, Madison, Chapel Hill, and Penn.

did UCLA notify you are on the waitlist by email?

5 minutes ago, funebrene said:

did UCLA notify you are on the waitlist by email?

They did. I received a waitlist decision letter that states I need to inform them by March 31st if I'm still interested in their program.

6 hours ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

Hmm..what do you guys think about posting the sign up deadlines for each school that we've been admitted to? Maybe it can help clear up some of thr mystery..

I'll post some and come back later (a bit busy currently)

University of Chicago - February 7th

University of Michigan - February 3rd

Scripps Cali - January 15th

Northwestern University - February 17th

UCLA -  February 10th

UIUC - no deadline listed

Boston University - February 3rd

UCSB - January 27

Hey everyone. Long time lurker trying to add some info for current cycle applicants and future generation of applicants.
Applied for organic chemistry programs. No chem GRE but decent GRE scores (320 overall, 164 Q, 156 V).
Accepted to University of Wisconsin-Madison early January like a few others have already posted. Interview invite from UTSW (University of Texas at Southwestern).

Still waiting to hear back from UNC, UCLA (not waitlisted yet so could be good or bad?), UCB, and Vandy. I applied to all around the Dec. 1 or so. Will follow up if I hear back from anywhere else.

Comparing from previous years, UCB and UCLA may release second round of acceptances tomorrow. UNC website states they will be releasing decisions sometime in February. Vandy releases acceptances later than the other schools.

For UC Berkeley, I emailed the coordinator yesterday asking if all decisions were sent out and what my application status is, here is his reply (today, Feb 2):

Indeed, applications continue to be in progress. As the selection committee continues to review applications, we anticipate that selections should be finalized by or before the end of February.

Not sure if he is saying so that I don't email him again until the end of Feb! End of Feb I feel is a bit too late to notify considering that visitation weekends are a week or so after end of Feb. Does UC Berkeley do waitlists?

Edited by someapplicant

5 minutes ago, someapplicant said:

For UC Berkeley, I emailed the coordinator yesterday asking if all decisions were sent out and what my application status is, here is his reply (today, Feb 2):

Indeed, applications continue to be in progress. As the selection committee continues to review applications, we anticipate that selections should be finalized by or before the end of February.

Not sure if he is saying so that I don't email him again until the end of Feb! End of Feb I feel is a bit too late to notify considering that visitation weekends are a week or so after end of Feb. Does UC Berkeley do waitlists?

They will most likely notify the acceptances tomorrow or the following week. This is based on the responses of the previous application cycle. I wouldn't doubt it if UCB made a waitlist by cherry-picking through applications until end of February.
Seems like the standard is to send out acceptances one or two months prior to visitation/interview weekends to allow ample time to make the necessary arrangements. Most likely, they will not send out acceptances at the end of February but a rejection/waitlist notification.

And also one more question, does anyone know what is that "Initiate Document Request" is at Stanford Activity page for admissions? Does everyone (accepted or no decision yet) see it? Are we supposed to request the document service (it also costs around 167 USD :-/)

As for my background, I am applying for Chemistry (Materials) PhD and I am an international student. My GPA is 3.69 for undergraduate (US) and I am currently pursuing Master's (US). My GRE scores are 158, 161, 4.0.

Applied to:

UCSB - accepted

UCLA - accepted

UC Davis - waiting

UC Berkeley - waiting

Stanford - waiting

UC Irvine - waiting

56 minutes ago, someapplicant said:

And also one more question, does anyone know what is that "Initiate Document Request" is at Stanford Activity page for admissions? Does everyone (accepted or no decision yet) see it? Are we supposed to request the document service (it also costs around 167 USD :-/)

As for my background, I am applying for Chemistry (Materials) PhD and I am an international student. My GPA is 3.69 for undergraduate (US) and I am currently pursuing Master's (US). My GRE scores are 158, 161, 4.0.

Applied to:

UCSB - accepted

UCLA - accepted

UC Davis - waiting

UC Berkeley - waiting

Stanford - waiting

UC Irvine - waiting

My friend had faced same issue. On being asked by email the Admissions Committee replied that it should be fine if official transcripts had been sent earlier during applications.

On 2/2/2017 at 7:07 PM, Wumbology said:

Hey everyone. Long time lurker trying to add some info for current cycle applicants and future generation of applicants.
Applied for organic chemistry programs. No chem GRE but decent GRE scores (320 overall, 164 Q, 156 V).
Accepted to University of Wisconsin-Madison early January like a few others have already posted. Interview invite from UTSW (University of Texas at Southwestern).

Still waiting to hear back from UNC, UCLA (not waitlisted yet so could be good or bad?), UCB, and Vandy. I applied to all around the Dec. 1 or so. Will follow up if I hear back from anywhere else.

Comparing from previous years, UCB and UCLA may release second round of acceptances tomorrow. UNC website states they will be releasing decisions sometime in February. Vandy releases acceptances later than the other schools.

Waiting for UCLA.. So nervous. Haven't gotten waitlisted either. Hoping for the best. Good luck! X

University of Maryland - Accepted

UMass Boston - Accepted

San Diego State University - Accepted

WashU - No news yet

UCLA - No news yet

UCSD - No news yet

On 12/11/2016 at 6:00 PM, wulfgangpauli said:

Just got into Johns Hopkins last week, very pleased. Anyone here know anything at all about the program? I applied expressing an interest in organic/polymer.

I heard the stipend is pretty good (more than livable for Baltimore) if anyone can help confirm that, as no specific funding amounts were included in my acceptance email. I found a post from 2012 estimating it at about 30k and I was wondering how much higher it would be nowadays.

Waiting on Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Rice, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, and UWashington. 

Did u here from GA Tech yet? they're getting me on my nerves