2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

22 hours ago, octahedral93 said:

In a list that included MIT (couldn't apply b/c I didn't take the chem GRE), the only school that my professor pointed out as "notoriously difficult"/"don't get your hopes up" was UW. ?

Really? Awww. What are they looking for then? Tsk. I really wanted to go to Seattle. Tss. I can't go on with my NTU application since they want me to do research that's not in my line of interest. I guess the search continues. How did Northwestern go?

On 2/7/2017 at 4:23 PM, MoonPie said:

Any updates on Duke? I know a few got accepted, but does anyone know whether all admission offers have been sent out?

i got an offer from duke last monday (jan 30th.) my guess is that duke hasn't finished sending out offers yet. best of luck!

Hi all. Was admitted to UCSD last week and I'm ecstatic since I have terrible stats. To give you an idea...

Undergrad Institution: Top liberal arts college 

Major(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: ~3.1
Overall GPA: ~3.1
Position in Class: for chemistry majors, at the bottom
Type of Student: Female, low-income, US citizen but not a CA resident

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 153
V: 157
W: 4.0
Chemistry: 29th percentile

Research Experience: 3 labs: one for half a year (1 presentation); one for a summer REU (2 presentations); two years at currently lab for senior thesis. No publications.

I only applied to schools in California (I'm in the northeast and am tired of the cold winter months): UCLA, UCSB, USC, Berkeley, Stanford, and of course UCSD. I started this process telling myself that all I need is one acceptance so I'm satisfied and will most likely be attending UCSD :) 

2 hours ago, chem1995 said:

Haven't heard back from UPenn, I know they sent out visitation weekend invites; is this bad news if I haven't received an email? Also, does anyone if UNC is still accepting people? I haven't heard back from them as well.

I'm still waiting on UNC too! From last year, it looks like their last wave is sometime this week. I'm organics...so hopefully it works out! Their second visitation weekend is March 24-26th. 

13 hours ago, Jmannny said:

I'm still waiting on UNC too! From last year, it looks like their last wave is sometime this week. I'm organics...so hopefully it works out! Their second visitation weekend is March 24-26th. 

Still holding out for UNC, UCLA, and Vandy here! 

My previous guesses were wrong for UCLA (or I didn't get accepted and will receive a rejection later).. lol

4 hours ago, NoMoreOrgo said:

It's been abnormally warm in the midwest. If you can't handle this weather, wait till it gets to -30 F.

I was cold yesterday but it's not too bad tonight. I bought a nice North Face parka just in case. :D Here in FL we bundle up when it gets to 40!

Got accepted to UC Irvine tonight via website. No email from the dept yet. 

On 2/17/2017 at 2:13 AM, Jmannny said:

My online application still says "submitted"...I have no idea whats going on with UNC :/

I don't know, I got this rejection in last month. It was quite frustrating actually...

Edited by Doge_Alchemist

Hey everyone. Since I see some of you have already started your visitations, I was wondering if you could provide some insight into attire. What are most people wearing?

I have my first visitation with a program I've been admitted to this upcoming week. I'm a male for perspective.