2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

KR_ChemIntern

5 hours ago, meticulous_scatterbrain said:

Hi

Got accepted into Yale a couple of days back! And congratulations to you for the other offer letters!

Has anyone else here got an offer letter from Yale (Chemistry)? 

I did on Monday, followed by a call later this week. 

37 minutes ago, CKabes said:

Really hoping to finally hear from UMich or Wisconsin today. This uncertainty is agonizing. 

If you don't hear back really soon, you're likely on the waitlist bc there is 1 week left to sign up for the visit day. 

@NoMoreOrgo

Are you talking about UMich or Wisc, or both? I know the deadline for the UMich visit day is first week of Feb.

Also, does anyone know what's up with UC Irvine? I haven't hear anything from them and I submitted my app Dec 1st.

Edited by Dibenzofulvene

21 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

@NoMoreOrgo

Are you talking about UMich or Wisc, or both? I know the deadline for the UMich visit day is first week of Feb.

Also, does anyone know what's up with UC Irvine? I haven't hear anything from them and I submitted my app Dec 1st.

I was talking about UMich. I know nothing about UWisc.

On 12/24/2016 at 2:01 PM, iketike said:

I've been lurking and I'm starting to get acceptance letters so I thought I'd share. I think my background is a bit different - my standardized test scores are pretty bad, to the fault of my own. However, chemistry is a passion of mine and I have shown this through other routes. Networking was probably the most important part of my competitiveness. Every school I'm applying to has 2-3 professors that I've met in person and email occasionally. For the higher tier schools, I do not think I'd get in without this. Best of luck to you all. 

Undergrad Institution: Very small college (I have an A.S. degree as a transfer student) 

Major(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.90
Overall GPA: 3.95
Position in Class: Top
Type of Student: Male, learning disability, ethnic background, first gen

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 157
V: 154
W: 4.0
Chemistry: 670 (sigh..)

Research Experience: 1 summer with my college PI, a well known research in the field, made my own project. Collaboration with a national lab for 2 weeks. Summer at a large NSF CCI, published in high impact journal

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  Analytical and inorganic chemist of the year, dean's list, McNair, LSAMP

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: established ACS student chapter, tutor, outreach events in the inner city

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Keynote speaker for regional conference

Special Bonus Points: I networked very hard. I have a lot of connections in my field currently. I've attended 3 national conferences, 3 regional, and 6 grad preview weekends. My PI has his own network of connections that are available to me. 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Was a comm. college transfer that worked full time to pay tuition and rent. My background is extremely financially poor and I am just now getting up to speed on this whole research thing - it's fantastic.

Applying to Where:

UC Davis -- Chem

UCSD - Chemistry (Accepted)

Caltech - Env. engineering

UC Berkey - Earth and Planetary Sciences

Fort Collins CSU -- Chem

These aren't all chemistry, but my field of research can all be completed within these disciplines - it is still in essence "chemistry". 

I was accepted into all of these schools - I found out from Caltech Mid-Jan and I found out from Davis and CSU late January. Although my scores were pretty bad, I'm very proud of my personal statements. Good luck to the rest of you

Edited by iketike

1 hour ago, iketike said:

I was accepted into all of these schools - I found out from Caltech Mid-Jan and I found out from Davis and CSU late January. Although my scores were pretty bad, I'm very proud of my personal statements. Good luck to the rest of you

Do you know if UC Davis chemistry department still sends out their offer? I am an international student who applied for theoretical organic chem and I'm really worried that they've already finished their selection.  

Edited by amino1990

6 hours ago, amino1990 said:

Do you know if UC Davis chemistry department still sends out their offer? I am an international student who applied for theoretical organic chem and I'm really worried that they've already finished their selection.  

No, I believe that was the first set - two of my international friends have applied there and also have not gotten notice either. I applied very early as well.

Edited by iketike

8 hours ago, iketike said:

Congratulations! Your success is quite motivating! 

Have you decided which school you'll go to?

On 12/11/2016 at 6:00 PM, wulfgangpauli said:

Just got into Johns Hopkins last week, very pleased. Anyone here know anything at all about the program? I applied expressing an interest in organic/polymer.

I heard the stipend is pretty good (more than livable for Baltimore) if anyone can help confirm that, as no specific funding amounts were included in my acceptance email. I found a post from 2012 estimating it at about 30k and I was wondering how much higher it would be nowadays.

Waiting on Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Rice, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, and UWashington. 

Did u here from GA Tech yet? they're getting me on my nerves

2 hours ago, NoMoreOrgo said:

I got a few acceptances so far and all of them offered to fly me out to visit. If there is a low chance that I will accept a school'a offer, is it appropriate for me to fly out there?

Yeah, I would fly out to all of the offers you have if you are at least considering them a little bit (and can spare the time). Never know what's gonna happen -- maybe the visit changes your mind and you really like it afterwards. I think it's important to talk to some current grad students all the POI's you are considering before making up your mind. If it's your last choice I obviously wouldn't bother. 

Edited by Chem123

1 hour ago, Chemcat said:

Do you think it's too late to hear from Yale? I don't know what to think at this point...

IMO, it's never too late until you actually hear a decline. You can call them up and ask about a timeline of the admissions process.

On 12/19/2016 at 10:43 PM, octahedral93 said:

Undergrad Institution: PNW Liberal Arts School

GPA in Major: ~3.65 
Overall GPA: 3.77
Position in Class: Don't know...
Type of Student: Domestic, male, small town roots

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 159
W: 4.0
Chemistry: Didn't take

Research Experience: 1 summer working for a professor creating SC XRD curriculum for lab courses, 1 year on senior thesis (organophosphate pesticide degradation)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  ACS Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry, Dean's List

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for 3 semesters (one of which, TA'd for the inorganic course that I had not taken, but created SC XRD lab work for)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Presented research (talk) at the Murdock College Science Research Research Conference and (poster) at the ACS meeting this spring. 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent connections in my proposed field, 2 alma mater recommenders, research in curriculum creation/interest in education

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Attended the American Crystallographic Association summer school and was one of two undergraduates present. Basically a week of post-doc level courses and hands on learning with the best of the best. 

Applying to Where:

UC Davis -- Inorganic Chemistry (Crystallography)

Northwestern -- Materials Science and Engineering (Conservation Science)

Georgetown -- Inorganic Chemistry (Crystallography)

U Washington -- Inorganic/Materials Chemistry

I have been accepted to UC Davis!! (Dec. 15) However, UW and NW both show that they have not received my GRE scores and I'm not sure what to do. Also, video for NW??? That field cancelled out after I selected my program... Is it because I applied for the school of engineering instead? 

Just wanted to say that I *still* have not heard from Northwestern or UW, but I've been accepted to Georgetown (hooray!!!) and also Colorado State (not originally listed) since my last post. 

Anxiety over UCLA - Chemistry PhD program

Has anyone heard back? good or bad? anybody else still waiting? :wacko:

Undergrad Institution: CSU Fullerton

GPA in Major: ~3.70
Overall GPA: 3.80
Position in Class: Top-ish
Type of Student: Domestic, female, blasian

Edited by RazaXo

4 hours ago, RazaXo said:

Anxiety over UCLA - Chemistry PhD program

Has anyone heard back? good or bad? anybody else still waiting? :wacko:

Undergrad Institution: CSU Fullerton

GPA in Major: ~3.70
Overall GPA: 3.80
Position in Class: Top-ish
Type of Student: Domestic, female, blasian

I know of a few people who have heard back-- mostly for synthetic.