Are You Greek?

Thanks4Downvoting

Sigma Sigma Sigma. I am an alum, though. I keep meaning to sign up to volunteer for it (since I can't be an active member) on my current campus; first semester just got me distracted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Delta Delta Delta- University of Vermont

Another on here too... not from UVM though! Still wearing my Delta sweatshirt to the gym...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Where I come from there is no Greek system - so I'm not really familiar with how this works. But are there sororities that accept graduate students as members? (Being an international student, I'm anxious about finding friends and having a social life in a totally different country where I don't know anybody - so the Greek system seems quite a good idea to me to get to know people...)

Where I come from there is no Greek system - so I'm not really familiar with how this works. But are there sororities that accept graduate students as members? (Being an international student, I'm anxious about finding friends and having a social life in a totally different country where I don't know anybody - so the Greek system seems quite a good idea to me to get to know people...)

Social sororities and fraternities are undergraduate only organizations. As a graduate student, you are not going to be that interested in being in one anyways. While I had a great time being a greek in college, as a graduate student you have a lot more demands on your time. You should focus on your research, bonding with your cohort, and becoming involved in academic organizations.

I will add to the reply above this post by saying that it's entirely possible and potentially beneficial to develop a life outside of your academic circle. I'm going to work hard but I will make time for a social life. Personally, my social life reinforces my work, just as exercise and sleep do. And I don't intend to spend all (or even most) of that time with my grad cohort. I need friends who are starving musicians and friends who spend their day trying to craft great latte art rather than political models. I plan to treat grad school as my job and correspondingly want some separation from people with whom I work. I want to meet people from other departments/schools and people outside the school.

If you just get involved in the things you like, you'll make plenty of friends. If you like art, there will be groups and clubs that you can join filled with people with similar interests. The same goes for the symphony, hiking, whatever. I think it's fairly easy for Europeans to segue into a circle of friends, especially at places like universities (a bit more pluralistic). In general, it seems harder for non-Westerners because the cultural differences become more pronounced.

That's all to say this: No need for anxiousness.

Edited by Tufnel

Sounds great! I just opened a new thread asking about your experiences with sports and other hobbies (which groups did you join, which sports teams etc.) - I'd love to learn your experiences.