Spanish Fall 2017

Yak1030

On 2/23/2017 at 4:35 PM, heywhatever9 said:

I ended up emailing UPenn (very impatient haha - i just want to know already!) and they said they'd have their decisions by early March.

Yes, thank you for emailing UPenn, I'm hoping early March means March 1st?!?! Anyway, I called Rutgers and they said decisions are going out in the next few days so not long now.

Edited by granadina

I've been on this site for a while, but I haven't posted anything until now. Has anyone heard back from Vanderbilt yet? I applied to their dual Spanish and Portuguese PhD program. I saw an acceptance on the results page, but nothing since. I'm guessing that I'll be rejected or waitlisted at this point, which is fine because I have other offers.

I've been accepted by the University of Iowa for their master's program in Hispanic linguistics...and I will be accepting if I am awarded an assistantship. The coordinator implied to me that everyone admitted gets an assistantship, but they couldn't guarantee anything yet. It would be a dream-come-true though because the stipend would be 19k, more than I ever expected from anywhere. However my backup school wants me to accept their offer by March 10, so I'm kind of in a bind. I'm hoping I find out before then. 

@scarvesandcardigans congrats on Penn State!! I'm told that is one of the most prestigious and difficult programs to get into. So happy for you! 

Edited by Yak1030

I have heard nothing from UPenn, but I did see a waitlist entry for them on the forum.  Also, saw an interview from NYU from March 3rd, so I suppose there is still some hope, but the outlook doesn't feel great.  

I called Rutgers last Tuesday and they said the rest of the decisions should go out in the next few days, but I have heard nothing from them either.  One of the schools I have an offer from wants to know by March 10th--should I call or email Rutgers again?  I don't want to bother them, but I feel like I don't have all the info. that I need to make my decision.

7 hours ago, granadina said:

I have heard nothing from UPenn, but I did see a waitlist entry for them on the forum.  Also, saw an interview from NYU from March 3rd, so I suppose there is still some hope, but the outlook doesn't feel great.  

I called Rutgers last Tuesday and they said the rest of the decisions should go out in the next few days, but I have heard nothing from them either.  One of the schools I have an offer from wants to know by March 10th--should I call or email Rutgers again?  I don't want to bother them, but I feel like I don't have all the info. that I need to make my decision.

I can talk to you in depth about Rutgers privately if you want!

Hi everyone! So I'm waiting to hear from 2 more schools. I'm not exactly expecting acceptances (which is okay, they're PhD programs and I'm pretty set on doing the MA first), but I do want to hear from them before I accept/decline the offers I have. So, I guess I'm wondering if I should keep on waiting or if I should assume I've been rejected. The schools (UNC and UVA) have sent out acceptances and I've emailed both to ask about a time line for when I would get my results (UNC gave me a generic reply and UVA never responded). I'm not really sure what to do now. I don't want to email and ask them again, but I also want to know if I'm on a wait list or even if I've just been plain rejected. I'm not really anxious to hear from them, but I'm worried that I'm waiting too long to get back to other programs. My first offer was made over a month ago now. Anyone have any advice/guidance? 

2 hours ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Hi everyone! So I'm waiting to hear from 2 more schools. I'm not exactly expecting acceptances (which is okay, they're PhD programs and I'm pretty set on doing the MA first), but I do want to hear from them before I accept/decline the offers I have. So, I guess I'm wondering if I should keep on waiting or if I should assume I've been rejected. The schools (UNC and UVA) have sent out acceptances and I've emailed both to ask about a time line for when I would get my results (UNC gave me a generic reply and UVA never responded). I'm not really sure what to do now. I don't want to email and ask them again, but I also want to know if I'm on a wait list or even if I've just been plain rejected. I'm not really anxious to hear from them, but I'm worried that I'm waiting too long to get back to other programs. My first offer was made over a month ago now. Anyone have any advice/guidance? 

If the other schools haven't given you a deadline to accept...or if they have and it still isn't for a while...then I wouldn't worry about waiting some more before making a decision. I wouldn't say that you are definitely rejected from UNC or UVA; they are likely waiting too see who is going to accept/reject their offers. What's bad is you might not know until very late in the game their official decision :/. It seems like UNC is determined to give you the runaround, so I guess the only other thing you could try is calling their graduate director or secretary (gulp) to try to get more specifics. Same with UVA, although maybe with them you could email someone else than you did the first time. 

@Yak1030 I just have the April 15 deadline, so I guess I shouldn't be in any big rush. I just feel so bad sitting on offers knowing that other people may be waiting to hear from those schools too :( but I guess that's just how this goes... 

Edit: Emailed UVA, I'm on the wait list 

Edited by erasingdinosaurs

April 15 is the hard deadline for accepting an offer, but you can always ask for more information from specific schools where you've been accepted. A couple of years ago I had to call and email the U of Ariz to find out my status around April 15; I had been rejected. So some schools do not have good process, then again maybe I had been on a waitlist? Who knows.

And the University of Iowa has officially offered me the assistantship with great benefits!!! I am beyond thrilled and am definitely accepting ! :D Funding for two years for the master's and four more for the PhD (which won't require a second application). Iowa City, here I come! 

19 minutes ago, Yak1030 said:

And the University of Iowa has officially offered me the assistantship with great benefits!!! I am beyond thrilled and am definitely accepting ! :D Funding for two years for the master's and four more for the PhD (which won't require a second application). Iowa City, here I come! 

Nice, congratulations!! That's awesome! Now I know who to collaborate with in Iowa. :) That has to be so exciting! Celebrate this!!!

On March 7, 2017 at 10:57 AM, erasingdinosaurs said:

I agree with @Yak1030 100%. I also want to add, this was kind of a "mini flag" for me when you said that UVA never responded - One of the best slices of advice that I was given was to "go to the place where they seem most excited about talking to you." The schools who make you feel like you should be lucky to be communicating with them may not necessarily be the schools you want to attend. 

Also, if you are certain that you won't attend either of these programs, then you can just let them know to withdraw your application. I'm sure that you know this, but that can help you in moving closer toward your official acceptance without waiting on other institutions!

Thanks @scarvesandcardigans! I ended up emailing someone else at UVA and got a really nice reply in under 10 minutes. Emailed someone else at UNC and was told I'd find out in early April (so late!). I think I'll withdraw my applications and accept an offer for an MA. I'm so excited and I think this is the best fit for me!

15 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

Nice, congratulations!! That's awesome! Now I know who to collaborate with in Iowa. :) That has to be so exciting! Celebrate this!!!

Thank you so much!! I'm sure I will thrive there. And I know who to collaborate with at Penn State! ;)

4 hours ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Thanks @scarvesandcardigans! I ended up emailing someone else at UVA and got a really nice reply in under 10 minutes. Emailed someone else at UNC and was told I'd find out in early April (so late!). I think I'll withdraw my applications and accept an offer for an MA. I'm so excited and I think this is the best fit for me!

Wow, that is late! But I think you are making a good decision...I would imagine that in any case doing the MA first will make your application more attractive when applying for PhD programs. 

I'm glad to see that none of the people on this thread appear to have been "shut out" of everywhere they applied to (though I could be mistaken). It doesn't appear that the people on the English/Literature side of things have been as lucky. 

4 hours ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Yay! Is it where we talked about??? If so that's super exciting! It sounds like you are super excited so that's awesome! Something to celebrate for sure, congratulations! 

27 minutes ago, Yak1030 said:

I'm glad to see that none of the people on this thread appear to have been "shut out" of everywhere they applied to (though I could be mistaken). It doesn't appear that the people on the English/Literature side of things have been as lucky. 

I've been following the Linguistics threads closely, it looks like across the board things are very competitive for them this year. We have a great group of scholars here, I think! :)

On 3/4/2017 at 11:27 AM, strudelbox said:

I've been on this site for a while, but I haven't posted anything until now. Has anyone heard back from Vanderbilt yet? I applied to their dual Spanish and Portuguese PhD program. I saw an acceptance on the results page, but nothing since. I'm guessing that I'll be rejected or waitlisted at this point, which is fine because I have other offers.

I just received an email today that informed me that I was rejected! Which is honestly no big deal. I was expecting it to be honest. I have a question for everyone though. 

So I have been accepted 4 programs so far and still need to hear from Tulane, Emory, Chapel Hill, and Pitt. Chapel Hill isnt really in the running since their stipend is awful. I visited UVA a coupole of weeks ago and really really loved it. The atmosphere, the professors, the other grad students, everything. Should I even bother to wait for the others? UVA would be in state for me, but a change of pace to where I live now, close to home but not too close, great stipend, health insurance, its undoubtedly an incredible university with an incredible reputation. I just want some advice from you all. I keep catching myself saying "when I move to Charlottesville.." etc. I just really don't know!!! I'm sorry for my horrendous grammar in this post. I have been all over the place recently and am just burnt out with this decision making and finishing up my BA. 

Can't wait to hear from you all!

41 minutes ago, Spanport said:

I just received an email today that informed me that I was rejected! Which is honestly no big deal. I was expecting it to be honest.

Same, I was also just rejected. Oh well. I'm just happy to have gotten a definitive answer.

I would say follow your gut. If you think you'll be happy there and you enjoyed what you saw of the program, go for it! I am in a similar situation (with other factors in play), but I was given full funding and a fellowship from UC Riverside. I haven't heard back from other schools yet, but UCR reached out to me and every interaction I've had with them has been positive and inspiring. There are several things to consider, though. I'm not sure how much of this you've already done, but I can tell you some of the reasons I chose UCR:

1. Someone mentioned this earlier, but it seems that if a school really wants you and thinks you're a good fit, they probably would have contacted you by now. Personally I would prefer a school who chose me right away as opposed to putting me on a wait list. I do realize not everyone is lucky enough to have found that school that is a good match mutually, but it seems like you have with UVA.

2. Feedback from current grad students. Have you contacted them and asked them about the program? How have their interactions been with the advisors and professors, etc.? Do they feel like they have support?

3. The TA position (if applicable). UCR has a coordinator who works with all grad student TAs, plus everything is planned for them: the rubrics, the lessons, everything. So all I would have to do is give the lessons and do the grading. This was so important to me because I want to be able to have sufficient time to devote to my studies.

4. Interactions with advisors/professors. Have they responded to your concerns? Do you sense that they care about your success?

5. You already did this when you chose where to apply, but reconsider the similarities in your research interests. What school has faculty that match up well with your potential research topics?

These were some of my main concerns, but obviously everyone has different preferences. Think about what is important to you in a grad program. Another thing that helped me decide was I considered what I would do if those other schools offered me acceptances. Would I even accept? I decided I wouldn't because UCR feels like the best match for me.

That being said, you do have until April 15th. There is no rush to accept. You could wait a week or two, see if anyone else gets back to you, and see if you still consider UVA as your top choice. Good luck!

11 hours ago, lemonlions said:

I would say follow your gut. If you think you'll be happy there and you enjoyed what you saw of the program, go for it! I am in a similar situation (with other factors in play), but I was given full funding and a fellowship from UC Riverside. I haven't heard back from other schools yet, but UCR reached out to me and every interaction I've had with them has been positive and inspiring. There are several things to consider, though. I'm not sure how much of this you've already done, but I can tell you some of the reasons I chose UCR:

1. Someone mentioned this earlier, but it seems that if a school really wants you and thinks you're a good fit, they probably would have contacted you by now. Personally I would prefer a school who chose me right away as opposed to putting me on a wait list. I do realize not everyone is lucky enough to have found that school that is a good match mutually, but it seems like you have with UVA.

2. Feedback from current grad students. Have you contacted them and asked them about the program? How have their interactions been with the advisors and professors, etc.? Do they feel like they have support?

3. The TA position (if applicable). UCR has a coordinator who works with all grad student TAs, plus everything is planned for them: the rubrics, the lessons, everything. So all I would have to do is give the lessons and do the grading. This was so important to me because I want to be able to have sufficient time to devote to my studies.

4. Interactions with advisors/professors. Have they responded to your concerns? Do you sense that they care about your success?

5. You already did this when you chose where to apply, but reconsider the similarities in your research interests. What school has faculty that match up well with your potential research topics?

These were some of my main concerns, but obviously everyone has different preferences. Think about what is important to you in a grad program. Another thing that helped me decide was I considered what I would do if those other schools offered me acceptances. Would I even accept? I decided I wouldn't because UCR feels like the best match for me.

That being said, you do have until April 15th. There is no rush to accept. You could wait a week or two, see if anyone else gets back to you, and see if you still consider UVA as your top choice. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your amazing and in depth response! I 100000% agree with everything you said. All my interactions have been extremely positive and they definitely reached out to me first and have made contact very easy and helpful. Thanks for throwing in the point about whether I would even consider another offer. I do feel pretty set with UVA but waiting a week can't do any harm either. 

Thank you you so much! If anyone else has anything to add please feel free to respond as well! I love all the different opinions I can get!