Spanish Fall 2017

Yak1030

1 hour ago, cactilio said:

Congrats and good luck! 

Hope it works out for you, I am super interested in one of the Professors for my research so I'd really like to get this email but I kind of know how this game goes...:)

Thanks a lot and please update on how your interview goes! 

Thank you! Will do :) (After answering you a few ahours ago I posted the interviw notification. Mine is the one saying "will do an interview later this week"). 

23 hours ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Thank you! Will do :) (After answering you a few ahours ago I posted the interviw notification. Mine is the one saying "will do an interview later this week"). 

I was also notified that I was moved forward to second phase! (¡qué nervios!)

22 minutes ago, cactilio said:

I was also notified that I was moved forward to second phase! (¡qué nervios!)

Yasss! Congratulations!
Last year they asked me:
- To tell them about myself, my educational background, my academic interests... That kind of stuff.

- Why CUNY.

- To talk a little bit more about what you would like to do for your dissertation, any ideas that you might have, etc.

- About my theoretical frame. 

-To ask them anything you would like to know. (In my case I prepared a few questions in advances because I knew I would block if not).

There was (and I think it´s a rule of them, cause they´re very proud of being such a horizontal organization) a representative of the students. He just listened, didn't ask anything. He has, however, a voice when the committee decides which students to choose. In my case, he spent a lot of time looking at his cell, so I didn't feel very well with that...

Best of luck! 

13 hours ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Yasss! Congratulations!
Last year they asked me:
- To tell them about myself, my educational background, my academic interests... That kind of stuff.

- Why CUNY.

- To talk a little bit more about what you would like to do for your dissertation, any ideas that you might have, etc.

- About my theoretical frame. 

-To ask them anything you would like to know. (In my case I prepared a few questions in advances because I knew I would block if not).

There was (and I think it´s a rule of them, cause they´re very proud of being such a horizontal organization) a representative of the students. He just listened, didn't ask anything. He has, however, a voice when the committee decides which students to choose. In my case, he spent a lot of time looking at his cell, so I didn't feel very well with that...

Best of luck! 

Wow! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate this :)

So, in your opinion, do you think your interview last year was not "convincing enough" or something for them to select you among others?  I am not sure how precise I need to be about all these questions. In the email I got they mention 45 min interview! I feel like I do not have so many things to say...

Edited by cactilio

3 hours ago, cactilio said:

Wow! Thanks a lot! I really appreciate this :)

So, in your opinion, do you think your interview last year was not "convincing enough" or something for them to select you among others?  I am not sure how precise I need to be about all these questions. In the email I got they mention 45 min interview! I feel like I do not have so many things to say...

Hmm... I´m not sure what to say. I guess that I was somewhat satisfied with the intervew after doing it, but at the same time had a feeling I hadn´t been as "brilliant" (dentro de mis posibilidades, claro, jaja) as I wanted... Weeks later I asked the department for some feedback and I got it, but I feel that that was too specific on the field that I work. It was about theoretical approach and so on.

What can I say? I´m also nervous! I´ll be working tomorrow evening on the interview (which is on Friday, when is yours?). Let´s just try to do our best.   

1 hour ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hmm... I´m not sure what to say. I guess that I was somewhat satisfied with the intervew after doing it, but at the same time had a feeling I hadn´t been as "brilliant" (dentro de mis posibilidades, claro, jaja) as I wanted... Weeks later I asked the department for some feedback and I got it, but I feel that that was too specific on the field that I work. It was about theoretical approach and so on.

What can I say? I´m also nervous! I´ll be working tomorrow evening on the interview (which is on Friday, when is yours?). Let´s just try to do our best.   

I see! I think I'm definitely not prepared for that so I'd better get working! Thanks a lot again!

I'm doing it probably the 23rd since I was notified this morning that the spot I chose was taken already. Still need confirmation but it'll be either that day or 17th. 

Mucha suerte!

52 minutes ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi! Yes, that was me. they emailed me yesterday. 

Ahhhhhh So nerve wracking. I also applied to Chapel Hill and have not heard anything.....

On 8/2/2017 at 0:07 PM, cactilio said:

I see! I think I'm definitely not prepared for that so I'd better get working! Thanks a lot again!

I'm doing it probably the 23rd since I was notified this morning that the spot I chose was taken already. Still need confirmation but it'll be either that day or 17th. 

Mucha suerte!

Hi there!
I did my interview earlier today. It wasn´t the best interview of my life, nor the worst... so let´s see. Three professors (including my possible advisor), no student. Each of them asked me a few questions, some of them regarding more my background and other questions more linked to ideas or things I had said in my SoP ("I found interesting that you mention this, so what do you think of this other thing?", for example). We talked both in Spanish and English. Friends in academia told me to let them know which admissions I already have, so I did, maybe you want to do the same. And they said they´re making decisions by the end of the month. I will let you know whenever I hear back.
Best of luck! 

On 2/8/2017 at 6:35 AM, Argengringa said:

Congrats on CUNY! I just got accepted into UCLA and will be headed out there in March for the orientation/open house :) 

Congrats! Did you know if UCLA send all admitted? Did you have interview? I applied to that program and I dont have any news yet! (:

2 hours ago, Alejo33 said:

Congrats! Did you know if UCLA send all admitted? Did you have interview? I applied to that program and I dont have any news yet! (:

I have no idea, but I think they admit up to around 10 applicants... so I'm sure you are fine! ¡Suerte!

Hola a todxs! I'm new to this forum but it's nice to see other people going through the same thing here...for those of you who got an offer from UCLA, did you receive funding info yet? The offer I got is pretty good, but it's only 4 years - does anyone know if that's normal, if people usually extend it or if there's a way to negotiate for more?

Not much to update from me. Indiana and Illinois-UC have waitlisted me...though Illinois kindly phrased it to me that I had a strong application, but just wasn't in the "first wave." So maybe I have a chance. I'm still waiting on Iowa and Wisconsin-Madison...neither have released admissions decisions yet. I'm happy that as of now nowhere has outright "rejected" me. @erasingdinosaurs did you hear back from UNC? 

Some updates- I received another two offers, the most important of those being from Penn State (!!!!!). And I just finished my first campus visit at Rutgers! In two weeks I will visit Penn State as well. Nothing from Georgetown (though I saw someone posted there), Berkeley (they sent a few rejections) or UT Austin (assumed no). How is everyone holding up?

1 hour ago, heywhatever9 said:

Hola a todxs! I'm new to this forum but it's nice to see other people going through the same thing here...for those of you who got an offer from UCLA, did you receive funding info yet? The offer I got is pretty good, but it's only 4 years - does anyone know if that's normal, if people usually extend it or if there's a way to negotiate for more?

I also received a 4 year funding package. Not sure if it's normal, but I figured it was because I already have a Masters? No idea! Are you going to the open house in March?

Congrats on the admits, @scarvesandcardigans!!! I kind of wish I could visit some of the places I've been accepted to, but I'm studying abroad in Colombia this semester so I'm just going to have to work with the resources I have! ???

1 hour ago, Argengringa said:

I also received a 4 year funding package. Not sure if it's normal, but I figured it was because I already have a Masters? No idea! Are you going to the open house in March?

I have a master's too and figured the same thing, but all of the other offers I have are for 5 years so I wasn't sure. I live in Madrid but I'm in LA now so I'm actually going to visit tomorrow! It's a bit too long of a trip to come back twice...