Spanish Fall 2017

Yak1030

Hey guys!

It´s good to know offers continue to appear on our horizons. I´m considering UC Davis (going to the Open House, anyone else?), UC San Diego (also going to the Open House... Anybody?), U of Maryland at College Park, UVA and UNC-CH. UNC stipend is ridiculously low, so I not many chances I accept it. And for the other programs, all of them have some things I like and some things I don´t like so much, so deciding is getting very hard for me... How are you going to decide? Do you have a clear favorite? Waiting for CUNY´s resolution after doing my interview last week, rejected by UChicago and nothing from UY Austin, UCLA (I´m so jealous of you guys who got the acceptance! I love the program) and UC Santa Barbara, so I guess nothing coming from there...

I am living right now in Costa Rica and got funding to visit the Open House events, so guys make sure to ask if that´s a possibility! 

2 hours ago, heywhatever9 said:

I have a master's too and figured the same thing, but all of the other offers I have are for 5 years so I wasn't sure. I live in Madrid but I'm in LA now so I'm actually going to visit tomorrow! It's a bit too long of a trip to come back twice...

I think they assume that we will be applying for some kind of dissertation research afterwards? I wouldn't be too worried, I'm sure there will be five or even six years of funding if you're willing to do a little digging. 

Haha yeah, that would be a pretty long trip just for the open house! 

Let me know what you think aboit the program after tomorrow, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

38 minutes ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hey guys!

It´s good to know offers continue to appear on our horizons. I´m considering UC Davis (going to the Open House, anyone else?), UC San Diego (also going to the Open House... Anybody?), U of Maryland at College Park, UVA and UNC-CH. UNC stipend is ridiculously low, so I not many chances I accept it. And for the other programs, all of them have some things I like and some things I don´t like so much, so deciding is getting very hard for me... How are you going to decide? Do you have a clear favorite? Waiting for CUNY´s resolution after doing my interview last week, rejected by UChicago and nothing from UY Austin, UCLA (I´m so jealous of you guys who got the acceptance! I love the program) and UC Santa Barbara, so I guess nothing coming from there...

I am living right now in Costa Rica and got funding to visit the Open House events, so guys make sure to ask if that´s a possibility! 

You got into some great programs! Nice job!

I have only heard back from 4/12 programs so far... accepted into UCLA and UIC, rejected from Berkeley and UChicago. I'm guessing it's a no from NYU and CUNY since I haven't been contacted for an interview--but that's ok. I am pretty excited about UCLA, so I will probably end up there :)

58 minutes ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

UNC stipend is ridiculously low, so I not many chances I accept it.

Mind if I ask what UNC offered and how it compares to the other schools? I still haven't heard from them, but I'm starting to feel that an MA program will best suit me anyway. Still, I'm curious about the PhD process for future application cycles! 

MA club Jajaja ! I decided to do the MA thing as well. I figure it will give me some time to figure out what I want to do. For me, for example, I'm not sure whether I want to PhD in Hispanic linguistics, Second language acquisition, or linguistics in general. I'm sure doing the masters first will give me some clarity. 

55 minutes ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Mind if I ask what UNC offered and how it compares to the other schools? I still haven't heard from them, but I'm starting to feel that an MA program will best suit me anyway. Still, I'm curious about the PhD process for future application cycles! 

Hi!

No, that´s fine. Most offers move around the 20K, except for UVA (where apparently money grows out of trees), which offers 26K and UNC, which offers 15K (whaaaat?). 

For those of you thinking of the M.A., I also did an M.A. before applying to grad school (I have the feeling I´m probably a little bit older than many of you) and feel that it helped me a lot to figure out what kind of research I want to do and so on. For me was the best thing to do.  

1 minute ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi!

No, that´s fine. Most offers move around the 20K, except for UVA (where apparently money grows out of trees), which offers 26K and UNC, which offers 15K (whaaaat?). 

For those of you thinking of the M.A., I also did an M.A. before applying to grad school (I have the feeling I´m probably a little bit older than many of you) and feel that it helped me a lot to figure out what kind of research I want to do and so on. For me was the best thing to do.  

Agreed. The MA really helps you to solidify what research interests you want to focus on. It helps you really lock in the programs that you like when you're applying, and you'll learn so many things that make you very prepared to pursue doctoral studies. 

On UNC, they have a low stipend comparatively, but living in the right place can prove to be very affordable (like going outside of Chapel Hill to Carrboro, or living with a lot of people in a house). It's very appropriate for the cost of living in the area, but as many of my advisors have said to me, "You can live, but you won't get rich." Such is grad school life. 

On 10/2/2017 at 4:21 PM, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi there!
I did my interview earlier today. It wasn´t the best interview of my life, nor the worst... so let´s see. Three professors (including my possible advisor), no student. Each of them asked me a few questions, some of them regarding more my background and other questions more linked to ideas or things I had said in my SoP ("I found interesting that you mention this, so what do you think of this other thing?", for example). We talked both in Spanish and English. Friends in academia told me to let them know which admissions I already have, so I did, maybe you want to do the same. And they said they´re making decisions by the end of the month. I will let you know whenever I hear back.
Best of luck! 

Thanks! I really appreciate you sharing this information! I've been working so much that I barely had time to check this lately...I won't have my interview until next week which is good in the sense that I guess I won't have to wait much for final decisions....ayayay I feel really nervous about it. 

Best of luck! I'll keep you posted on how mine goes. 

Edited by cactilio

On 2/16/2017 at 1:54 AM, Argengringa said:

I think they assume that we will be applying for some kind of dissertation research afterwards? I wouldn't be too worried, I'm sure there will be five or even six years of funding if you're willing to do a little digging. 

Haha yeah, that would be a pretty long trip just for the open house! 

Let me know what you think aboit the program after tomorrow, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Hey! So UCLA was very cool, although a bit low key as it wasn't an admit weekend or anything...they have me pretty convinced though! If you want to you can PM me and I'll tell you more specifics (which weren't many haha, but anyway...)

On another note: has anyone here heard from the University of Pennsylvania? They are either taking forever or no one around here has applied...

It seems like most of the graduate programs for Spanish send out their acceptances in waves.  They select the applicants they want the most at first, hypothetically filling their target class size. Then, they wait to see if these people they accepted accept or reject their offer. When enough people have rejected their offer, they send out another "wave" of acceptances, and the process repeats until spaces are filled. This is what both Illinois-UC and Indiana told me when they said I was on their waiting list. So @Spanport, you might ask UNC about the application of your status, because in both of those instances with me I had to reach out to the department to acquire this information. In other words, they might not tell you directly if are on the waitlist. 

5 hours ago, Spanport said:

I am kind of starting to worry because I have yet to hear from UNC Chapel Hill. 

I reached out to UNC to ask about their timeline for results and the email I got back said "we're in the process of finalizing our admissions decisions and you should receive a decision in the next few weeks." Super generic and not helpful ?

Edit: I got that email on Feb 10

Edited by erasingdinosaurs

Yeah, I hate it when schools give those kinds of generic replies. Like, I understand that a lot of people may be asking the same thing, but for me I at least appreciate a response that doesn't appear copied and pasted. A lack of at least slightly personalized communication gives me a bad vibe. 

3 hours ago, granadina said:

I was trying desperately not to cave and chime in, but the waiting is not fun.  Has anyone heard from NYU, UPenn or Rutgers? I have acceptances with full funding from 2 other schools, but I'm still waiting to hear the verdicts from these 3.

I ended up emailing UPenn (very impatient haha - i just want to know already!) and they said they'd have their decisions by early March.

17 hours ago, granadina said:

I was trying desperately not to cave and chime in, but the waiting is not fun.  Has anyone heard from NYU, UPenn or Rutgers? I have acceptances with full funding from 2 other schools, but I'm still waiting to hear the verdicts from these 3.

I know that Rutgers has made their "definitely no" decisions already, so if you haven't heard from them that's good news! 

Also heard from UT Austin last night. Generic email to check MyStatus, and the decision says 'denied,' which I think is interesting. Not upset though. Has anyone heard anything new? 

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

2 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

I know that Rutgers has made their "definitely no" decisions already, so if you haven't heard from them that's good news! 

Also heard from UT Austin last night. Generic email to check MyStatus, and the decision says 'denied,' which I think is interesting. Not upset though. Has anyone heard anything new? 

Hey! I was also rejected by UT Austin last night with the same email. 

Hang in there guys! 

I was rejected by UT Austin a couple of years ago, just the generic "denied" with no communication. UT Austin and U of Arizona were very abrupt and bureaucratic. I don't recall anyone on this forum ever being accepted to UT Austin. So don't take it too personally.

Hi Xolo! Indeed, I was rejected by UT Austin last year, so not a big surprise. Anyways, I met this fall a grad student who is now in another university after transferring. She said that the atmosphere there in the department in Austin was horrible, that she had to work so many hours a week that she couldn´t stand it, etc. So not a big deal, I guess. I am only waiting now for CUNY (decisions coming in the following days), UCLA and UC Santa Barbara (these two I´m pretty sure won´t bring good news). 

2 hours ago, elsueñodelretorno said:

Hi Xolo! Indeed, I was rejected by UT Austin last year, so not a big surprise. Anyways, I met this fall a grad student who is now in another university after transferring. She said that the atmosphere there in the department in Austin was horrible, that she had to work so many hours a week that she couldn´t stand it, etc. So not a big deal, I guess. I am only waiting now for CUNY (decisions coming in the following days), UCLA and UC Santa Barbara (these two I´m pretty sure won´t bring good news). 

Oh weird, well that's definitely something interesting to note. I've heard that's it's a super program so it must be really competitive. I applied to 6 places, and if I had to rank Austin I'd probably put it at a #6 of the places that I wanted to go. It's a good program, we just weren't a good fit. 

Also, just got another rejection from Berkeley. A bit surprised at it but it's fine. They have one Spanish linguist so it would have been hard to work there anyway. I imagine they accept mostly literature students with that information. 

On 2/24/2017 at 0:53 PM, scarvesandcardigans said:

Oh weird, well that's definitely something interesting to note. I've heard that's it's a super program so it must be really competitive. I applied to 6 places, and if I had to rank Austin I'd probably put it at a #6 of the places that I wanted to go. It's a good program, we just weren't a good fit. 

Also, just got another rejection from Berkeley. A bit surprised at it but it's fine. They have one Spanish linguist so it would have been hard to work there anyway. I imagine they accept mostly literature students with that information. 

I got in wait-list at CUNY. How's your situation? Good luck!  I am waiting from NYU, UCI and McGill. Have you been accepted? Is CUNY your priority under your situation? 

40 minutes ago, Jose Londono said:

I got in wait-list at CUNY. How's your situation? Good luck!  I am waiting from NYU, UCI and McGill. Have you been accepted? Is CUNY your priority under your situation? 

Hi Jose Lodono! I was notified this night/morning (4.36 am) that I was waitlisted. And yes, it is my priority. I am not sure how interpret it since basically they're saying there are good chances to get an offer after 'el primer bloque de ofertas' and that kind of stuff but I do not want to be so enthusiastic about it either. What do you think in your case? Anyway, good luck!

Edited by cactilio

1 hour ago, cactilio said:

Hi Jose Lodono! I was notified this night/morning (4.36 am) that I was waitlisted. And yes, it is my priority. I am not sure how interpret it since basically they're saying there are good chances to get an offer after 'el primer bloque de ofertas' and that kind of stuff but I do not want to be so enthusiastic about it either. What do you think in your case? Anyway, good luck!

I was notified around 4:30 too.  They told me that many things will be changed in the following two or three weeks, and that my position among the waiting-list is excellent Perhaps we both have a good chance! I am very sure that they will send more offers. To us? When? I don't know. Anxiety comes again and again! Best wishes!  

5 minutes ago, Jose Londono said:

I was notified around 4:30 too.  They told me that many things will be changed in the following two or three weeks, and that my position among the waiting-list is excellent Perhaps we both have a good chance! I am very sure that they will send more offers. To us? When? I don't know. Anxiety comes again and again! Best wishes!  

Same here! I wonder how many people have an excellent position as well...:) that would be great to know!

Best wishes!

Edited by cactilio