Spanish Fall 2017

Yak1030

2 minutes ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

In my experience I've never had a pre-admissions interview, but there are tons of programs, so that might just be luck of the draw. I know that at NCSU and UC Davis and Berkeley, at least when I applied, I had to send in a recording of me speaking about myself and various topics, and for the UC schools, I had to read a paragraph provided by them as well. 

I'm not sure if any schools do interviews for language programs, but I could be totally wrong and definitely welcome someone to say they had one, it would be great to know what they are like. 

Well, I had a skype interview with Michigan State for their Masters program and have another one scheduled for U of Wyoming. My interview with Michigan was entirely in Spanish, and to my knowledge my interview with Wyoming will be as well. These  are the first programs I've heard back from so that probably is what led me to believe that this is the norm .

2 minutes ago, Yak1030 said:

Well, I had a skype interview with Michigan State for their Masters program and have another one scheduled for U of Wyoming. My interview with Michigan was entirely in Spanish, and to my knowledge my interview with Wyoming will be as well. These  are the first programs I've heard back from so that probably is what led me to believe that this is the norm .

Gotcha gotcha. That makes sense! Like I said, there are tons of programs with their own protocols. And those are really reputable programs. It's actually surprising, in my opinion, when programs don't do interviews, because of the aforementioned point - how do they know what your language skills are like?! 

That said, these kinds of interviews are more informal and friendly, so I wouldn't be too nervous if you end up having to do one. 

3 minutes ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

Gotcha gotcha. That makes sense! Like I said, there are tons of programs with their own protocols. And those are really reputable programs. It's actually surprising, in my opinion, when programs don't do interviews, because of the aforementioned point - how do they know what your language skills are like?! 

I definitely agree. I really don't mind the interview process, to be honest. It makes the process more personal. It also helps reassure those of us whose native language isn't Spanish that we are not imposters who seem better prepared on paper than they are in real life. 

1 hour ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Has anyone been admitted to a program without an interview process? I'm curious what to expect :) 

I was admitted to both Ohio State and U.Va. without an interview. I had phone calls and skype interviews after the fact to ask questions but that was it. 

Also congrats @elsueñodelretorno!!! U.Va. is an INCREDIBLE option for both of us! It's definitely up there in my second or third choice if I am rejected from Vanderbilt. 

1 hour ago, Spanport said:

Thank you so much!!! Only 7 more to hear from. The suspense is killing me. I just want to know already. 

First, congratulations! That's amazing! It's definitely a good feeling to know that there is an option on the table.

But question for everyone - this has to do with the "I want to hear from the rest of the programs" thing - I've heard it's a thing to send emails to other schools when you start to receive offers to help expedite the decision process for the schools that have given you offers. One of my current profs and my top POI at one of the schools I have been in contact with have told me the same thing, does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts? 

I've just received news that I've been accepted at Western Michigan for their masters program! That, along with Michigan State, is two acceptances so far out of 7 applications! @scarvesandcardigans I've been going back and forth with the idea of contacting the other schools. On the one hand, it probably would speed up the process. On the other, I'm really scared of coming across as annoying by doing such a thing. Oh the stress! 

8 minutes ago, Yak1030 said:

I've just received news that I've been accepted at Western Michigan for their masters program! That, along with Michigan State, is two acceptances so far out of 7 applications! @scarvesandcardigans I've been going back and forth with the idea of contacting the other schools. On the one hand, it probably would speed up the process. On the other, I'm really scared of coming across as annoying by doing such a thing. Oh the stress! 

Exactly!! One one hand, I feel as though contacting them and letting them know is just an annoyance and makes them more likely to discard your application than really consider it, but on the other, I feel like that is a ridiculous assumption to make. (With the situation at Rutgers, they accept 2-3 people, so they are looking for a decision quickly to not lose their first/second/third/etc. choices, which I totally get). I'm going to consult with a professor in my department tonight on how to word something like this in correspondence, so I can pass along the info if desired! 

BUT back to the main point here...Just saw an accepted notification at Western Michigan on the results page and I thought that would be you! CONGRATS!! That is awesome! So so happy and excited for you! :D

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

3 hours ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Has anyone been admitted to a program without an interview process? I'm curious what to expect :) 

Hi! Yes, I have. It depends on the program: somes do, somes don´t. I know, for example, that CUNY selects about 20 students to interview and then offer admission to 8. 

2 hours ago, Spanport said:

I was admitted to both Ohio State and U.Va. without an interview. I had phone calls and skype interviews after the fact to ask questions but that was it. 

Also congrats @elsueñodelretorno!!! U.Va. is an INCREDIBLE option for both of us! It's definitely up there in my second or third choice if I am rejected from Vanderbilt. 

Thank you! I´m also waiting to see more results from my other applications before deciding, but very excited! 

First of all, congratulations to all who have been admitted! It's especially nice that the early, first news is good news!

But, to the question of interviews. I was admitted about two years ago into a linguistics program. I was admitted into 4 programs (out of 9) and nobody gave me an interview. One school required that I take an automated Spanish speaking - listening exam online. I think that was so they could evaluate me to be a TA.

YMMV

Edited by xolo

15 hours ago, lemonlions said:

When did you guys submit your applications? Does that make a difference? I had a busy semester and applied last-minute to all 4 of my schools.

In terms of when they look at your application, that depends on the program and when/how they review applications. Some schools might look on a rolling basis and earmark ones they want, and some might only look when the deadline has passed. I agree with @Yak1030 that if you submitted before the deadline then you should be totally fine.

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

I think it depends on the institution and can vary but in general I think the percentage is quite high (well into double digits) but some well known schools are more competitive.

9 minutes ago, xolo said:

I think it depends on the institution and can vary but in general I think the percentage is quite high (well into double digits) but some well known schools are more competitive.

Gracias! (I hope to receive good news soon!)

On 1/25/2017 at 3:30 PM, scarvesandcardigans said:

Exactly!! One one hand, I feel as though contacting them and letting them know is just an annoyance and makes them more likely to discard your application than really consider it, but on the other, I feel like that is a ridiculous assumption to make. (With the situation at Rutgers, they accept 2-3 people, so they are looking for a decision quickly to not lose their first/second/third/etc. choices, which I totally get). I'm going to consult with a professor in my department tonight on how to word something like this in correspondence, so I can pass along the info if desired! 

Going back to what we were talking about last week, I emailed one of my programs today, asking for a general timeframe of when I could expect an admissions decision. They were very nice about it, and told me not to worry at all about asking that kind of question...and they gave me the information I needed. So, I wouldn't worry too much about emailing and asking for updates. 

23 hours ago, Yak1030 said:

Going back to what we were talking about last week, I emailed one of my programs today, asking for a general timeframe of when I could expect an admissions decision. They were very nice about it, and told me not to worry at all about asking that kind of question...and they gave me the information I needed. So, I wouldn't worry too much about emailing and asking for updates. 

Do you mind if I ask what your email looked like? I'd like to send one, but I don't want to come across negatively. 

23 hours ago, Yak1030 said:

Ah okay. That does make sense. Just to clarify - that includes them knowing that you have other offers? Because I can see them responding to a general "status update" email that way. It's just nerve-wracking because the program from which I have an offer accepts 2-3 people and they don't want to lose anyone on their presumably short list of applicants in case I say no, if that makes sense. But this is definitely useful info! Thank you for the update!

1 hour ago, erasingdinosaurs said:

Do you mind if I ask what your email looked like? I'd like to send one, but I don't want to come across negatively. 

I'll PM you @erasingdinosaurs . And @scarvesandcardigans I didn't tell this school that I had other offers, but I don't imagine that it would make a difference. I just thought it was a little early in the game to be saying that kind of thing (though that doesn't mean you can't). Now, as we approach April 15th I may begin throwing that out there in hopes of a response, haha,