Are long skirts okay for interviews?

Kaede

I am not someone who feels comfortable in the typical slacks/blouse/blazer combo. I am also not a fan of pencil skirts since they bring too much attention to the figure. Would a long skirt (reaches my mid calf - picture linked here) be acceptable for an interview (biology)? Or would a typical conference dress be better? Or do I just have to suck it up and wear the slacks and blouse...?

I tried searching on this topic online but have found exactly nothing that matches my inquiry...

I like that skirt!  I have a similar one that's camel colored.  

But, it never crossed my mind to wear it on an interview.  I'm not saying that you can't, or that it's not professional.  But, I just prefer to keep it traditional/no frills for interview day (the typical slacks/blazer thing).  Now, if you're uncomfortable in that, then maybe try an A-line skirt (not as flouncy as the one pictured and not as straight as a pencil).  I would still keep the blouse (not a sweater, like in the pic) though...and quite possibly a flattering blazer.  Good luck on your interviews! 

I'm in a different field but wore a similar skirt during my interviews without issue as did plenty of other gals.  Interviews should be taken seriously, which does mean dressing appropriately but that doesn't mean wearing something uncomfortable or being bland.  If your attitude about slacks and a blouse is "sucking it up" then that isn't you.  It is very important to be yourself on interviews and if a skirt is more your thing then go for it, just keep it professional.  Everyone told me to stick to neutral colors during my interviews because its traditional blah blah blah.  I didn't listen and proudly wore colors I love and had applicants and faculty all complimenting my dresses and applicants wishing they'd gone with something more them.

I think that skirt is awesome and appropriate! I'm in a completely different field though. Where is the interview taking place? Will there be a lot of walking or will it be more of a sit down interview? Make sure that you are comfortable and be able to move! If I was going on an interview I would pair that skirt with gray tights, a navy/royal blue blouse, a forest green blazer/cardigan and possibly either caramel heels or black heels. Its all solid colors but they go together and I think the outfit sounds interesting. But I like getting creative with my colors and my field is a bit more loose on the formalities.

Not a gal, but I would also say that it is totally okay to wear that skit. The big thing here is to go for professionalism. It does not matter whether something is "traditional" as long as it looks professional. I myself severely dislike blazers/suits, so I wore a vest instead (and would have worn a nice sweater vest instead if the weather permitted). I faced zero issues, because it was still professional looking attire. 

I agree with @MarineBluePsy that you need to be yourself, so avoid certain attire if you will feel uncomfortable in it or it is not you. You will be a-okay as long as it is professional. 

11 hours ago, fadedfigures said:

Not a gal, but I would also say that it is totally okay to wear that skit. The big thing here is to go for professionalism. It does not matter whether something is "traditional" as long as it looks professional. I myself severely dislike blazers/suits, so I wore a vest instead (and would have worn a nice sweater vest instead if the weather permitted). I faced zero issues, because it was still professional looking attire. 

I think men might have less issues in general when thinking about what is professional. For example, I was presenting a poster at a conference which was primarily blue, so I thought it would be nice to wear a blue polo shirt to match it. I was discussing this with my friend, who was presenting a green poster and she was considering green nail polish to match, but was afraid that people would think she put too much effort into matching and look down upon it (even though the nail polish is totally professional). Just sharing since I used to think that professionalism was the only thing that mattered too, but evidently, there are other factors going on that we might not have to worry about.

2 hours ago, TakeruK said:

I think men might have less issues in general when thinking about what is professional. For example, I was presenting a poster at a conference which was primarily blue, so I thought it would be nice to wear a blue polo shirt to match it. I was discussing this with my friend, who was presenting a green poster and she was considering green nail polish to match, but was afraid that people would think she put too much effort into matching and look down upon it (even though the nail polish is totally professional). Just sharing since I used to think that professionalism was the only thing that mattered too, but evidently, there are other factors going on that we might not have to worry about.

Absolutely true. Men do have less issues in appearing professional because our gender norms are not largely associated with fashion and appearance. We also don't have as many options as ladies do for our professional attire, since we have a limited range to choose from in terms of what we wear. I would argue that makes it easier for us to have less issues with looking professional, since our attire consists of dress pants, dress shirt, blazer, and a tie (or maybe a nice sweater if you're on the west coast). 

However, I am a strong supporter of pushing the envelope when it comes to what can be considered professional. I have to say that looking professional above all else is what's the most important thing. But I hate that ladies have to worry about "trying too hard" because they look a certain way or wear certain outfits/colors. Personally, I think color-coordinating nail polish color to the poster color is a great idea! I would have seen that as a fine eye for detail versus putting in too much effort. It contributes to the overall cohesiveness, in my opinion. Unfortunately, some folks might not agree.

20 minutes ago, fadedfigures said:

Absolutely true. Men do have less issues in appearing professional because our gender norms are not largely associated with fashion and appearance. We also don't have as many options as ladies do for our professional attire, since we have a limited range to choose from in terms of what we wear. I would argue that makes it easier for us to have less issues with looking professional, since our attire consists of dress pants, dress shirt, blazer, and a tie (or maybe a nice sweater if you're on the west coast). 

However, I am a strong supporter of pushing the envelope when it comes to what can be considered professional. I have to say that looking professional above all else is what's the most important thing. But I hate that ladies have to worry about "trying too hard" because they look a certain way or wear certain outfits/colors. Personally, I think color-coordinating nail polish color to the poster color is a great idea! I would have seen that as a fine eye for detail versus putting in too much effort. It contributes to the overall cohesiveness, in my opinion. Unfortunately, some folks might not agree.

That's the problem, though. You never know who is going to agree, and when something like admission to grad school is on the line, it's hard to want to push the envelope. 

1 minute ago, stereopticons said:

That's the problem, though. You never know who is going to agree, and when something like admission to grad school is on the line, it's hard to want to push the envelope. 

I'm not saying to go to a grad interview wearing a death metal t-shirt or a giant hoop skirt. I'm saying there should be nothing wrong with making a bolder choice in your outfit. Is @Kaede's skirt that she is considering wearing a "traditional" professional skirt? I would say no, because in my experiences, gals typically wear women's suits or pencil skirts and a blouse. However, since it is a unique choice, does it mean it is entirely inappropriate for graduate interviews? Not at all. In a sense, it does push the envelope a bit. It is expanding the range of what people consider wearing.

Overall, though, I agree with you @stereopticons. It can be hard to do something different when you're in a high stress environment such as a grad school interview. However, I think it is best to wear something professional that you will be comfortable in. If you are the type of person who would feel absolutely uncomfortable in a pencil skirt and you can find a comfortable, nontraditional, yet still professional alternative, I say go for it. The graduate interview process is stressful enough as is. You don't want another level of discomfort because your outfit isn't working for you.

And as an added note, you may not want to go to a particular graduate school if they are going to judge you based off of the flow of your skirt or the color of your nail polish. It does not seem like the best location if they'll scrutinize you for such details. 

7 minutes ago, fadedfigures said:

I'm not saying to go to a grad interview wearing a death metal t-shirt or a giant hoop skirt. I'm saying there should be nothing wrong with making a bolder choice in your outfit. Is @Kaede's skirt that she is considering wearing a "traditional" professional skirt? I would say no, because in my experiences, gals typically wear women's suits or pencil skirts and a blouse. However, since it is a unique choice, does it mean it is entirely inappropriate for graduate interviews? Not at all. In a sense, it does push the envelope a bit. It is expanding the range of what people consider wearing.

Overall, though, I agree with you @stereopticons. It can be hard to do something different when you're in a high stress environment such as a grad school interview. However, I think it is best to wear something professional that you will be comfortable in. If you are the type of person who would feel absolutely uncomfortable in a pencil skirt and you can find a comfortable, nontraditional, yet still professional alternative, I say go for it. The graduate interview process is stressful enough as is. You don't want another level of discomfort because your outfit isn't working for you.

And as an added note, you may not want to go to a particular graduate school if they are going to judge you based off of the flow of your skirt or the color of your nail polish. It does not seem like the best location if they'll scrutinize you for such details. 

This was precisely what I settled on when interviewing last year.  If my wearing a colorful dress, bright nail polish, a cardigan instead of a blazer, darker tights instead of sheer pantyhose, etc was going to lead the program to decide I wasn't professional then I didn't want to be there.  All of those things were uniquely me and yet my hemline was still a respectable length, my cleavage was covered, nothing was wrinkled/stained/torn, and my behavior was professional.  

I agree with both of you, @fadedfigures and @MarineBluePsy. I think the skirt is cute and still acceptable for an interview. And if the grad program has a problem with individuality, then it's probably a bad fit for me anyway. Women are just under so much scrutiny for their appearance that it's extremely frustrating. I mean, studies have shown that people think that women who wear makeup are more competent, which is ridiculous. 

19 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

I agree with both of you, @fadedfigures and @MarineBluePsy. I think the skirt is cute and still acceptable for an interview. And if the grad program has a problem with individuality, then it's probably a bad fit for me anyway. Women are just under so much scrutiny for their appearance that it's extremely frustrating. I mean, studies have shown that people think that women who wear makeup are more competent, which is ridiculous. 

I agree that the double-standard is ridiculous. All I can think of is if a person is gender non-conforming, for example a woman who prefers to dress in a man's suit for interviews. They will be limited in what schools/departments would be accepting of their gender identity, plus the added scrutiny for not wearing the traditional makeup and attire. 

Edited by fadedfigures

29 minutes ago, MarineBluePsy said:

This was precisely what I settled on when interviewing last year.  If my wearing a colorful dress, bright nail polish, a cardigan instead of a blazer, darker tights instead of sheer pantyhose, etc was going to lead the program to decide I wasn't professional then I didn't want to be there.  All of those things were uniquely me and yet my hemline was still a respectable length, my cleavage was covered, nothing was wrinkled/stained/torn, and my behavior was professional.  

I absolutely loathe the traditional men's attire for interviews. There's something about wearing a suit that makes me feel uncomfortable, like it isn't who I am. Plus they can be so bland, with typically the tie being the only splash of color they have. This time around, I'm debating wearing a checkered dress shirt with a blazer, just so that I can have that pop of originality. Otherwise, I'll probably repeat vest and tie like last time. 

35 minutes ago, stereopticons said:

What is hilarious about this is I very rarely wear makeup, but am blessed with such great skin I have trouble convincing others I'm not wearing makeup.  I've even had job interviews where the hiring managers complimented my wearing tasteful and professional looking makeup.  Nope, its just my face lol.  On the flip side of this it makes me wonder if women with not so great skin (acne, scars, etc) are viewed as less professional when trying to cover that with makeup often just makes it worse.

14 minutes ago, fadedfigures said:

I absolutely loathe the traditional men's attire for interviews. There's something about wearing a suit that makes me feel uncomfortable, like it isn't who I am. Plus they can be so bland, with typically the tie being the only splash of color they have. This time around, I'm debating wearing a checkered dress shirt with a blazer, just so that I can have that pop of originality. Otherwise, I'll probably repeat vest and tie like last time. 

I do remember a guy during my interviews that wore a bow tie during each day of the interview weekend.  And not just a simple black bowtie, but bright colors and fun patterns.  He definitely stood out compared to the other guys, but in a good way.  It was clear the bowtie was just his thing so he came off as more relaxed (not at all like he was trying to get attention) compared to the guys who couldn't stop fidgeting in their suit jackets and ties.  I'm not an expert on men's fashion, but I think there is room for flexibility with a dress shirt/blazer being just as professional as a vest/tie.    

The most important thing is making sure you can move, interact, and tour labs without it being an issue. If the skirt poofs out too much it will be a problem in cleanrooms and biology labs, which is an issue. If it's appropriate for the labs you will be touring and you have closed toe footwear that couples with it, it will be fine. 

Source: http://www.howtogetintograduateschool.com/interviews/what-to-wear-to-a-graduate-admissions-interview/

First, love the skirt. I'm really glad you brought this up because it is so hard for women. I once had a very qualified friend interview for a job at my org and not get it. Why? She didn't smile enough and was dressed too formally in a black suit. The hiring boss was a great guy and I'm sure he'd be shocked if I mentioned the inherent sexism in those statements. I only mention this because even if no one even realizes it, there is a certain standard we must strike, just so, to come off as both approachable and professional. 

I think the skirt is appropriate and cute and not stuffy. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

On 12/24/2016 at 1:51 PM, fadedfigures said:

Definitely agree. To me, being aware of the issues is important and recognizing that some things are not as simple for others as they are for me is necessary for the change we both want. I don't mean my post as a critique of yours, just sharing an experience where I learned something.

I want to contribute to a different academic environment where everyone is free from double standards in clothing. I try to do this by confronting these issues where I hear colleagues say things like someone is "trying too hard" (I ask them what they mean and try to have a conversation to see why they are saying what they're saying). If asked, I always support a person's decision to dress up (or to play it more conservatively). I feel like since it's not my career on the line, I don't want to put someone in a position where they feel like they need to be pushing the envelope!

Thanks for the input everyone! I think these are really important discussions to have. I primarily picked the skirt because I feel like it would help with the cold, blizzard-like weather, but I'll keep you all posted on if anything comes up with regards to the skirt.

If one thing is true, it's that I am not about to let some crusty, judgmental guys keep me from looking my best on such an important day! ?? ??

56 minutes ago, Kaede said:

Thanks for the input everyone! I think these are really important discussions to have. I primarily picked the skirt because I feel like it would help with the cold, blizzard-like weather, but I'll keep you all posted on if anything comes up with regards to the skirt.

If one thing is true, it's that I am not about to let some crusty, judgmental guys keep me from looking my best on such an important day! ?? ??

If its going to be cold, don't forget your winter tights.

I think if the point of grad school is fitting in the program, then people should be who they are right from the start... With some effort obviously (like being clean and not wearing a death metal or Steel Panther tshirt that reads "GLORY HOLE!!!" ??), but their true selves. What happens if you are hired but then feel like you can't be yourself throughout the program? 

On 12/24/2016 at 3:11 PM, fadedfigures said:

I agree that the double-standard is ridiculous. All I can think of is if a person is gender non-conforming, for example a woman who prefers to dress in a man's suit for interviews. They will be limited in what schools/departments would be accepting of their gender identity, plus the added scrutiny for not wearing the traditional makeup and attire. 

Definitely something I'm coping with. But I feel most comfortable in menswear so goshdarnit that's what I'll be sporting. I'm fairly confident that the schools I'll be visiting are accepting of queer diversity, but we'll just have to see.