Now What?

phdthoughts

4 hours ago, phdthoughts said:

I thought I'd have everything wrapped up with just the wait, but found out that one letter writer couldn't submit the LOR to my top choice due to a (minor) accident. So, she said she'd call the program and explain and see what she could do. I'm so sorry this happened to her - we've had a fairly long mentoring relationship but omg. Just :(

Has the deadline expired? One of my recommenders couldn't open the webpage through the recommendation email's links, actually it happened to two of the schools I applied. So he contacted the graduate office and was instructed to email the recommendation letter to a staff member. The LOR was uploaded to the application system by the staff almost on the same working day, so if you have not missed the deadline, it's probably fine. But if you have, I don't know what will come out. Just try contacting the graduate office, it's likely nothing.

Thanks @DBear I appreciate that. I'm disappointed but I have faith it will be resolved somehow. I emailed the program just to give them a heads-up on the whole thing, and I really want to follow up, but I know how it is as an administrative person to come back from the holidays to a pile of emails and messages to return so I'm just trying to chill.

@phdthoughts, if it makes you feel any better, one of my letter writers was two weeks late with two of my letters. The schools didn't seem to be surprised/annoyed by this. So once the technical difficulty is resolved, the fact that it is late by a few days shouldn't matter! Also, issues with the online system seem to be pretty commonplace, so the school probably already has a quick fix ready (a real person on the staff the letter can be emailed to). :) It's nice you're considerate of the staff on the receiving end, not everyone gets it. I'm sure the universe will reward your kindness!

@DBear That actually makes me feel a lot better - I've heard of programs having a grace period, so I'm hoping they will do they same. I've worked in academic administration so one of the lessons I'll be sure to remember to take into a PhD program is a little kindness and civility goes a long way. Besides, we remember who is cool and who is not, and guess whose emails and paperwork and issues get taken care of quicker. :) 

@phdthoughtsDon't worry, it seems that they usually allow the delay of some of the materials. One school even mentions that the official GRE and TOEFL scores could be received by them till one and half a month after the deadline. So I wouldn't panic too much about the LOR, but it could lead to a longer wait though. That won't bother you too much right?

@1too3for5 @hopefulphd I just got an email from the graduate coordinator saying that they spoke to my recommender and will upload the letter to the system when they send it, which is progress at least. I'm feeling a lot better since I've read all the stories here about grace periods. Now, just she will just have to send it! Almost there - whew. :)