Fall 2010 Admission Results

Not that you're all on tenterhooks on this, but I'll claim the IR MA at Bristol University :)

I did IR at Bristol a few years ago and loved it. I thought about staying another year but ran out of money.

For those waiting on WWS PhD, the WWS ad comm will only meet the week after next, and then it will be two weeks after that before offers are processed and sent out. So there is likely a good deal of waiting still involved.

So is that just for WWS (Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton) or will the regular politics dept. adcomm meet aorund the same time? By intuition is that the politics dept. will have decisions by the end of next week or so.

So is that just for WWS (Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton) or will the regular politics dept. adcomm meet aorund the same time? By intuition is that the politics dept. will have decisions by the end of next week or so.

No, this is only the WWS PhD, not the regular politics dept. I have no idea when the regular politics dept will meet, but I have to imagine decisions will be made considerably sooner (if they haven't already been made).

No, this is only the WWS PhD, not the regular politics dept. I have no idea when the regular politics dept will meet, but I have to imagine decisions will be made considerably sooner (if they haven't already been made).

Thanks. Yeah that is what I figured, they haven't sent out announcements of decisions yet. Judging by the results section postings from last year it looks as though they send out notifications around Feb. 19th/20th so that is why I figured probably next week sometime or possibly early the following week. It is really the only school left that I care about hearing from so I'm anxious to find out.

For those waiting on WWS PhD, the WWS ad comm will only meet the week after next, and then it will be two weeks after that before offers are processed and sent out. So there is likely a good deal of waiting still involved.

This is outrageous! I hope this only applies to pure WWS programs, not joint-degree programs with econ and poli sci.

someone mentioned a while back that an inside source said the 19th, so we could have a big week coming up!

Yep, that was me. A friend told me a while ago, the plan for Columbia is to announce on the 19th.

just hoping some gd news from UCLA which is the one i like the most.... but seems they're slower in the admission process

Also, UCLA's endowment has gone down below $1b. Given the size of its student population (both undergrad and grad), this amount of endowment doesn't seem enough to maintain the University's status as a major research institution. So, they may be choosing candidates extra carefully.

just hoping some gd news from UCLA which is the one i like the most.... but seems they're slower in the admission process

Not to mention that UCLA is the only Political Science department to produce a Nobel Prize winning political scientist.

EDIT: Never mind. This is false (black bear). UCLA is one of the few...

Edited by tskinner

I did IR at Bristol a few years ago and loved it. I thought about staying another year but ran out of money.

Glad you enjoyed it! I have a friend down there so I've visited a few times, it is a lovely place!

Bristol will be great - I like a lot of what Jutta Weldes has written. If you have the opportunity to take one of her classes, I think that would be really worthwhile!

Jutta Weldes was one of the people I mentioned in my PS - Terrell Carver was the other one. I'm waiting for a reply from Durham (and hold offer from UCL and Kings) but I'm very tempted by Bristol.

Jutta Weldes was one of the people I mentioned in my PS - Terrell Carver was the other one. I'm waiting for a reply from Durham (and hold offer from UCL and Kings) but I'm very tempted by Bristol.

Ah cool. They're all great universities, although I'm not a fan of Durham as a city, to be honest! I studied at a University of London college so I know a few people who went to UCL and KCL. They both come highly recommended and I know that they both have excellent reputations/placement records too. Do you have a top choice?

Ah cool. They're all great universities, although I'm not a fan of Durham as a city, to be honest! I studied at a University of London college so I know a few people who went to UCL and KCL. They both come highly recommended and I know that they both have excellent reputations/placement records too. Do you have a top choice?

I like Durham; then again I come from Sunderland so Durham is like Bruges to me :P If I get the offer from Durham, I'm pretty much split between there Bristol and UCL..

I like Durham; then again I come from Sunderland so Durham is like Bruges to me :P If I get the offer from Durham, I'm pretty much split between there Bristol and UCL..

Haha fair enough. I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go. It's great that you have a choice, especially of such good universities as these. Good luck getting in everywhere, and good luck deciding!

Two things that I'd say are in London's favour are:

(1) There are vastly more opportunities for interesting part-time jobs and internships in Parliament, think tanks, NGOs, public affairs companies and so forth. If you do this one or two days a week then it can really inform your studies and also adds something to your CV (research experience etc).

(2) There are tons more talks and lectures going on at places like the IISS as well as all the different universities. You can go to several a week, hearing from ambassadors, serving members of the cabinet, US senators, top academics etc.

I was able to do an awful lot with my time in London beyond just getting a master's degree, and I think it really helped me along (both with finding a job and getting into a PhD).

Just going to add a plug for London (not attending, can't afford a Master's at LSE which was the only place I wanted to go). London is one of the coolest cities in the world. Everything is there. If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist. Bristol is a good school, don't get me wrong. I have several friends who got their BS there, but I really liked UCL, LSE, etc. It was great to be able to have multiple libraries, various connections to other parts of the country via rail, and be able to go to lectures. I lived in Kent, but was there pretty much every weekend either meeting friends or working on research. Gotta plug London as I miss it so very much!

Looks like this will be the week I finally start hearing back. I can't imagine Syracuse taking a week to finish notifying, BC said they'd probably be done by the end of the week, and Rutgers historically notifies around now. Curufinwe, we'll see whether I wish at the end of the week that it had been calm for me, too!

Edited by NEPA