Fall 2010 Admission Results

Yeah I'm pretty sure Harvard did them all at once. If it was a mass e-mail that seems to make sense. In a way I would think that's good so at least you're not left with any confusion (other than the whole wait list thing).

MIT, on the other hand, is going to be a huge cluster*#!@ if history is any guide. Some of us will get phone calls, others will get DHL mail, etc. all during a period of at least a few days. That'll be a fun one.

Congrats to everyone so far.

I've been riding the rejection express, so far 7 rejections in a row. I think I can safetly conclude that grad school is not in my immediate future :(

i don't mean to be rude (im exactly in the same boat), but why do you think that is? i'm really disappointed with the results and i don't understand what im doing wrong.

Congrats to everyone so far.

I've been riding the rejection express, so far 7 rejections in a row. I think I can safetly conclude that grad school is not in my immediate future :(

I'm on the same train. I'm realizing it was a mistake to only apply to 5 schools :(

i don't mean to be rude (im exactly in the same boat), but why do you think that is? i'm really disappointed with the results and i don't understand what im doing wrong.

no worries. I would like to say its been a crapshoot year and very competitive. But honestly, in my case it'll probably boil down to my abysmal GREs and terrible organization. A part of me was hoping that my gpa, letter of recs, and undergrad would get me in somewhere, but I don't think its gonna cut it with so many ridiculously qualified applicants on the market. things I wish I had down, got my applications in like a month before the deadline, worked more on my SOP and spent more effort on my GREs (I'm a terrible test taker but its no excuse for studying harder).

Yeah, time to pray for a waitlist...

Ziz, congrats on our UofT acceptance. Was it for Philosophy? I'm waiting for Political Science....

Thanks - and yeah it's for philosophy. I'm also waiting on political science. Could be a long wait ;).

Which dept. would you choose if you also got into poli sci?

Therein lies the big question. I will have to decide which way I want to go. I'm interested in applied ethics and theories of justice. On one hand I have always considered myself a political theorist, but at this point my interests are more closely aligned with philosophy departments and one of my struggles this cycle has been finding politics departments that have faculty interested in the same things. My other big question at the moment is (if I get in) whether I should pay to go to Oxford or take the fully-funded Toronto PhD.

I claim a Princeton rejection and I haven't heard from Columbia but I'm awaiting their rejection in the near future... congrats to those who are in Princeton and Columbia!

Am I the only one who still hasn't heard from Columbia. I called the department and they said that admissions handles it. I sent an email to admissions today asking if the Friday acceptances and wait lists meant that I was rejected, or if my application was still under consideration, but I got no response. What do you guys think? Were the comparativists already accepted?

Therein lies the big question. I will have to decide which way I want to go. I'm interested in applied ethics and theories of justice. On one hand I have always considered myself a political theorist, but at this point my interests are more closely aligned with philosophy departments and one of my struggles this cycle has been finding politics departments that have faculty interested in the same things. My other big question at the moment is (if I get in) whether I should pay to go to Oxford or take the fully-funded Toronto PhD.

Yeah I'm having a similar experience on both counts:

a) reading Habermas closely these days is collapsing me into metaphysics and epistemology more so than before, and hence into phil. territory and

B) here's hoping for full clarendons for both of us!

Yeah I'm having a similar experience on both counts:

a) reading Habermas closely these days is collapsing me into metaphysics and epistemology more so than before, and hence into phil. territory and

B) here's hoping for full clarendons for both of us!

Ha, you can't read Habermas while trying to decide between philosophy and a social science!

Am I the only one who still hasn't heard from Columbia. I called the department and they said that admissions handles it. I sent an email to admissions today asking if the Friday acceptances and wait lists meant that I was rejected, or if my application was still under consideration, but I got no response. What do you guys think? Were the comparativists already accepted?

I haven't heard from Columbia either. I don't know if they're admitting by subfield (I'm in American politics). I figured that since some waitlists have already gone out that they are done. Has anyone gotten a straight up rejection?

I'm presuming that Columbia's silence is due to sequential rounds of admissions. For example, I know Harvard Kennedy School's adcomm convenes three separate rounds. Therefore, in this case no news is good news. Your application may have lived to survive another day of consideration... That's at least my theory.

Ha, you can't read Habermas while trying to decide between philosophy and a social science!

Hahah, I actually had an exam question while studying in England that read something like: "Jurgen Habermas is a brilliant theorist with many great ideas, it is just a shame nobody can understand what he is saying. Discuss."

I'm presuming that Columbia's silence is due to sequential rounds of admissions. For example, I know Harvard Kennedy School's adcomm convenes three separate rounds. Therefore, in this case no news is good news. Your application may have lived to survive another day of consideration... That's at least my theory.

No, I don't think so. I don't believe that anyone has actually been rejected from Columbia. They just don't prioritize telling those of us that have been rejected.

Wow, congrats to the Harvard admits. (SuddenlyParanoid, my hat is off to you in a big way!) I hope that more Harvard applicants get some good news soon. Don't lose hope!

To those who are staring at a lot of rejections, I hope you get some good news. It was looking for a while like I'd be in that boat as well. I'm well aware of how damn lucky I am to have picked a program to get excited about that also happened to be looking for people who study what I study. Throughout this process I've been thinking of Dr. Seuss' story "Oh, the Places You'll Go." You'll do great! Except when things fall through. That sort of thing. If you don't get in anywhere, I'm sure you'll find something, at least for the next year if you plan to re-apply, that proves a good use of your enormous talent.

Hahah, I actually had an exam question while studying in England that read something like: "Jurgen Habermas is a brilliant theorist with many great ideas, it is just a shame nobody can understand what he is saying. Discuss."

A friend of mine said (I myself never systematically explored the subject, but it seems believable) that Habermas is actually easier to read in the English translation than in the German original. So just imagine you'd have to read the German version ;).

No, I don't think so. I don't believe that anyone has actually been rejected from Columbia. They just don't prioritize telling those of us that have been rejected.

They said they'll be giving more decisions in mid-March (though it's not clear that it's waitlists, rejections, last-minuted acceptances, what have you). It's weird that they'd give waitlist notifications if they weren't done with admits, but maybe it's by subfield? (I didn't see people admitted to American Politics, for example). Who knows...

Wow, congrats to the Harvard admits. (SuddenlyParanoid, my hat is off to you in a big way!) I hope that more Harvard applicants get some good news soon. Don't lose hope!

To those who are staring at a lot of rejections, I hope you get some good news. It was looking for a while like I'd be in that boat as well. I'm well aware of how damn lucky I am to have picked a program to get excited about that also happened to be looking for people who study what I study. Throughout this process I've been thinking of Dr. Seuss' story "Oh, the Places You'll Go." You'll do great! Except when things fall through. That sort of thing. If you don't get in anywhere, I'm sure you'll find something, at least for the next year if you plan to re-apply, that proves a good use of your enormous talent.

NEPA, just wondering. Why haven't you accepted Rutgers yet? Have they told you about funding?