Fall 2010 Admission Results

My Columbia application was JUST updated to "complete" and "at department" in the last day. Did this happen to anyone else? I wonder if I didn't get full consideration because it took so long for them to process my application.

This is very weird. Have they released the waitlist yet?

I can't even access my application status form. I'm getting an error message. I checked last week after admits went out, and I don't recall my form having anything in those fields. I get the impression that the form is not updated regularly, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Cicero

I can't even access my application status form. I'm getting an error message. I checked last week after admits went out, and I don't recall my form having anything in those fields. I get the impression that the form is not updated regularly, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I would tend to agree with Cicero, however, I just checked my status and it says "incomplete" and "at department." It doesn't make sense that it would be incomplete because I clearly sent in everything before the deadline. And if they hadn't received something, I would hope the department would let me know about that. Other than that, I would just say it took a long time for them to update it since it's not a priority. I think I may email them too and find out what's up.

No FedEx letter from MIT today, but also not the least bit surprising given the competition within the applicant pool.

My guess is that some us will hear from Minnesota tomorrow (well, at least those of us who get good news, I'm not so sure I'm going to be one of those people). I guess Cornell is finished, although I'm a little surprised we haven't had more people claiming acceptances (then again, look at how tough a cycle it has been for admissions!). Good luck to my fellow Minnesota applicants and whomever else is waiting to hear!

Finally, does someone want to claim the Harvard wait list that went up in the results database, or is this just another troll trying to have some fun with all the Harvard applicants who are dejected over not hearing news Monday?

I've had the same experience with my Columbia app status form as Rossiya.

However, about a week before they released the decisions I had emailed the GSAS to inquire about those then-blank fields, and they told me that my application was complete, was at the department for review, and had not been held up at any time in the review process. So I think they probably just have WAY too many applicants to be totally on top of the online profile updating.

However, about a week before they released the decisions I had emailed the GSAS to inquire about those then-blank fields, and they told me that my application was complete, was at the department for review, and had not been held up at any time in the review process. So I think they probably just have WAY too many applicants to be totally on top of the online profile updating.

I think this is accurate. I didn't apply to Columbia, but I had this issue with UT-Austin (in fact I just logged in and it still says I'm "incomplete" despite being accepted!). Back in early December I e-mailed Meagan Mulligan, the Grad Sec'y there, and she sent back the following reply:

Hi (my name),

Sadly, even if I were to work 24/7 for the next several weeks, I would still be unable to update the online status to show that your supplemental materials have been received by the department. If you did receive an e-mail confirmation from me, then, rest assured, your stuff is in and you are ā€œgoldenā€!

Meagan

No FedEx letter from MIT today, but also not the least bit surprising given the competition within the applicant pool.

My guess is that some us will hear from Minnesota tomorrow (well, at least those of us who get good news, I'm not so sure I'm going to be one of those people). I guess Cornell is finished, although I'm a little surprised we haven't had more people claiming acceptances (then again, look at how tough a cycle it has been for admissions!). Good luck to my fellow Minnesota applicants and whomever else is waiting to hear!

Finally, does someone want to claim the Harvard wait list that went up in the results database, or is this just another troll trying to have some fun with all the Harvard applicants who are dejected over not hearing news Monday?

In at Cornell, no word from MIT.

Columbia has just been a mess this year. They got their application out later than everyone else and it was full of grammatical errors. I don't know if you saw on the results search but someone said they heard from Columbia professors that all the acceptances have been sent out. I think they're just too disorganized to send out the rejections. They couldn't find my transcripts until three months after they were sent because they were in a "large stack" of unfiled paperwork.

What a night. Came back from McDonalds (had the munchies) just after a night of drinking - to sort of celebrate my phone interview with Emory (just feeling good to go through with it) - and then to receive an email from Cornell.

It's in comparative politics.

Tally thus far.

Rejected: Stanford, Berkeley, NYU (Likely), Princeton, Wisconsin, UC Irvine (from advisor back at alma mater), Northwestern, UPenn (likely), Columbia (likely), Chicago (likely).

Interview: Emory.

Waiting: Brown, MIT.

So if my story can be an inspiration for anyone, all I can say is all it takes it one. Stay positive folks. I'm happy beyond belief.

Edited by SansSociety

What a night. Came back from McDonalds (had the munchies) just after a night of drinking - to sort of celebrate my phone interview with interview (just feeling good to get it over with) - and then to receive an email from Cornell.

Tally thus far.

Rejected: Stanford, Berkeley, NYU (Likely), Princeton, Wisconsin, UC Irvine (from advisor back at alma mater), Northwestern, UPenn (likely), Columbia (likely), Chicago (likely).

So if my story can be an inspiration for anyone, all I can say is all it takes it one. Stay positive folks. I'm happy beyond belief.

That is brilliant. Congrats!

What a night. Came back from McDonalds (had the munchies) just after a night of drinking - to sort of celebrate my phone interview with Emory (just feeling good to go through with it) - and then to receive an email from Cornell.

Tally thus far.

Wow. Good News. I also got into Cornell. I cant wait to hear about the package.

3 rejects

2 acceptances

3 ????

Edited by Theoriologian

We better hear from UMN today! The uncertaintly has been killing me...the last few days I've been on a steady diet of Marlboro Lights and Starbucks. So yeah, if I'm not dead from cardiac arrest by the end of the day, I really hope that it caps off this stressful process!

Edited by APGradApplicant

We better hear from UMN today! The uncertaintly has been killing me...the last few days I've been on a steady diet of Marlboro Lights and Starbucks. So yeah, if I'm not dead from cardiac arrest by the end of the day, I really hope that it caps off this stressful process!

Is this worse than the all-nighter prior to UCSD? :D

So, yesterday I posted a seemingly innocuous question on this thread. "does anyone have any info on Cornell?" Twentyish minutes later (according to future posters) Cornell sent out admit notifications. Sadly I did not get one.

Now, I'm not implying that correlation = causation, but with the way this process works, who knows. Let's see if my magic skillz work again.

Does anyone know anything about Brown?

PS RE: the Columbia discussion. I finally logged into the Columbia application to check my status form, and it said Completed and Yes (at the department). However, I wouldn't read much into the timing of these updates. I would bet that updating these things is pretty low on the priority list.

Edited by Cicero