Fall 2010 Admission Results

For the record, this was not part of my email. Congratulations, all future inquiries will recieve the canned response: "I'm sorry, I am unable to give out any further information at this time."

Judith M

Hi Judith,

I'm not applying to UMN, so I think I can be called neutral. When I read APGradApplicant's post, I was a no point thinking that he was imitating you with the last sentence. Also, posting your message on the board and spreading the word will probably reduce the number of e-mail enquiries you get until Monday afternoon - so don't be too hard on him/her :).

Hi Judith,

I'm not applying to UMN, so I think I can be called neutral. When I read APGradApplicant's post, I was a no point thinking that he was imitating you with the last sentence. Also, posting your message on the board and spreading the word will probably reduce the number of e-mail enquiries you get until Monday afternoon - so don't be too hard on him/her .

Plus, APGA is such a joy and a great source of moral support for many of us around here. :P

Don't worry, I have no say in the decisions, and even if I did, I know you didn't have bad intentions. I'm sorry, it's just been a really long week. And year. I know this is even more stressful for you guys, but it's not easy on this side either.

One thing I am very grateful for is my wonderful adviser who understands this whole process and is there to offer support and tissues and encouragement in the harshest lashes of the admissions cycle. This process is a lot more emotionally draining than people would think. I wish there were some way for us all to have a big group hug (and celebration and sob where appropriate). Waiting has never been so hard.

Don't worry, I have no say in the decisions, and even if I did, I know you didn't have bad intentions. I'm sorry, it's just been a really long week. And year. I know this is even more stressful for you guys, but it's not easy on this side either.

Thank you, Jud M, for accepting my apology. I think I speak for most people on this board when I say that I have no doubt that it's not easy on your side of the process either, and that's something I'll definitely be more mindful of in the future.

Also, thank you to Shere Kahn and itsgonnabeme for your kind words. I've enjoyed hearing your insights/progress during this ordeal as well, and I hope that all of us who've been on here for a good while will be able to check in every now and then once we're toughing it out as students somewhere next year smile.gif

Have any of the Columbia admits yet received the "official" letter that was mentioned in the mass email? Any info on funding?

I received an email by Makila about the Open House and a couple of emails from professors and students, that's all.

No details on the funding yet, except what was already stated in the first email:"The Graduate School prefers that I not got into the details of the offer here, other than to inform you that it is a multi-year offer that includes a tuition waiver, stipend support of not less than $22,500 dollars per year, health benefits, and access to Columbia graduate student housing."

Since we might start hearing from Georgetown next week, I wanna ask what you guys know about their funding. My professor told me that they always had very little funding since it was established by Jesuit priests and they did not go into any Wall Street method of increasing the funds. I found that explanation rather weird.

The other speculation is that, I heard they fund very few people since a lot of professionals that have funding from their think tanks or organizations or basically people that have saved up a considerable amount of money while working apply there and that is why they don't offer much fudning. Though shouldn't it be otherwise? The fact that the people with fancy CVs with think tank and government experiences have funding and do not need Georgetown's funding would allow us right-outta-university people to have a better shot at funding?

Thoughts? :)

Does anyone know the grad administrator contacts for:

Columbia

Chicago

Harvard

I'm looking to end my wait ASAP, so I can accept an offer and move on. Any insight on these issues would be appreciated.

I've applied to all of the above places and haven't been accepted/reject/waitlist as yet.

I graduated from Georgetown...

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful.

I heard somewhere that Georgetown waives tuition for all applicants admitted to the PhD program but that they are stingy in allocating stipends. Can you confirm the universal tuition waiver?

Edited by Dialogue

On 2/26/2010 at 8:09 AM, postgrad2010 said:

I have been waiting for UCLA, Pittsburgh and Washington University in St. Louis

but haven't heard anything from them so far, shall i assume it's a rejection?

I know that WashU sent out notices at the end of January, early February. That is strange that you have not heard anything.

I have been waiting for UCLA, Pittsburgh and Washington University inĀ St. Louis

I got a rejection from Pittsburgh a week ago in the mail after having called the graduate office, where they told me ALL letters were mailed out a week ago Tuesday. You may want to call and check on that.

I have been waiting for UCLA, Pittsburgh and Washington University inĀ St. Louis

Ditto 'amandaaimeparis' above. I received my PITT rejection last week. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear from UCLA, but can only assume it too will be a rejection.