Fall 2010 Admission Results

Congrats! Did UCLA offer you any funding?

Thanks! I'm not sure about funding yet. There's an attachment letter that I'd really like to open, and I assume it contains details, but unfortunately, it seems to be not-Mac-compatible. I'll have to wait for the Bruin folk to get back into the office tomorrow to find out.

Just got accepted by Florida State University (checked the web site after someone else posted that s/he had been accepted). Weird - I seem to be accepted by those universities where I felt I wasn't a very good fit when I applied - I was actually considering not finishing my application to FSU, but then one of the recommendation letters had already been sent, so I went ahead with the application...

Anyway, will probably turn them down, as I have a funded offer from NYU - or does anyone with more insight into US universities and their rankings feel that this is not a wise decision? Advice is appreciated...

Anyway, will probably turn them down, as I have a funded offer from NYU - or does anyone with more insight into US universities and their rankings feel that this is not a wise decision? Advice is appreciated...

Shere Khan - How/when did you receive notification from NYU?! I know a bunch of folks around here still haven't heard anything and we're suffocating with anxiety! ohmy.gif

BTW, yes, definitely take NYU over Florida. Of course it will depend on your field, but generally speaking this would be a prudent decision.

In at Brown, my first acceptance after having been rejected almost everywhere else.

They accepted 15 students.

Since I'm guessing the Brown acceptance on the results page was yours, was it via phone? and did the caller say they accepted 15 this year? (because it would mean those who are accepted are already determined and informed and I can swallow the bitter rejection :P )

Edited by curufinwe

Since I'm guessing the Brown acceptance on the results page was yours, was it via phone? and did the caller say they accepted 15 this year? (because it would mean those who are accepted are already determined and informed and I can swallow the bitter rejection :P )

hi. yes, it was me. they are calling students...but i'm not sure if they phoned everyone yet, maybe the potential advisors will also make some calls and they might do it over the course of the week. there's hope :)

they have open house on 15th.

Shere Khan - How/when did you receive notification from NYU?! I know a bunch of folks around here still haven't heard anything and we're suffocating with anxiety! ohmy.gif

BTW, yes, definitely take NYU over Florida. Of course it will depend on your field, but generally speaking this would be a prudent decision.

I'm quite puzzled by NYU too. I had applied there last year and now. Both times the Grad Admissions Office emailed me about some missing material, at the same time when the department had already sent out acceptance decisions. And a month later they emailed all the rejections. I wonder if my application was even considered.

hi. yes, it was me. they are calling students...but i'm not sure if they phoned everyone yet, maybe the potential advisors will also make some calls and they might do it over the course of the week. there's hope :)

they have open house on 15th.

Plus I am an international student with 7-hour time difference. Would they just call? I know a friend who first received an e-mail from Penn State, asking her to give them an appropriate time to call. She was all worried since she assumed it'd be an interview. But they were just going to inform that she got accepted.

Was yours from a potential advisor?

Plus I am an international student with 7-hour time difference. Would they just call? I know a friend who first received an e-mail from Penn State, asking her to give them an appropriate time to call. She was all worried since she assumed it'd be an interview. But they were just going to inform that she got accepted.

Was yours from a potential advisor?

mine was from the dean of grad studies (i assume, i was very excited...i forgot how she introduced herself). but she said that my advisor and a couple of other professors who showed interest in my work will also call. official letters go out in 2 weeks.

mine was from the dean of grad studies (i assume, i was very excited...i forgot how she introduced herself). but she said that my advisor and a couple of other professors who showed interest in my work will also call. official letters go out in 2 weeks.

oh well, then I am out :/

But congratz, must be awesome to hear positive things :)

Any insights on what's happening with JHU or Georgetown?

Regarding Georgetown, I saw some funded acceptances and waitlisted-for-funding acceptances on results page. So I'm guessing they are done with acceptances.

Regarding Georgetown, I saw some funded acceptances and waitlisted-for-funding acceptances on results page. So I'm guessing they are done with acceptances.

There were only 2, by phone, and neither were claimed on this board, as far as I can tell...I wouldn't count out Gtown just yet....

There were only 2, by phone, and neither were claimed on this board, as far as I can tell...I wouldn't count out Gtown just yet....

Brown was only one. Even though it is claimed, it is enough for me to assume I am rejected. I mean, fake Harvard posts might have been fun for the poster since there were many hoping to hear from them and they were really anxious about it. But faking a Gtown post is like going to a Clippers game at the last match of the season :)

Brown was only one. Even though it is claimed, it is enough for me to assume I am rejected. I mean, fake Harvard posts might have been fun for the poster since there were many hoping to hear from them and they were really anxious about it. But faking a Gtown post is like going to a Clippers game at the last match of the season :)

not saying its fake, just that they might not be done yet.....look at last year's results

Thanks for the advice. :) I got the inofficial notification on February 9th, and the official letter (as attachment to an e-mail) last Monday. I really don't know what their procrastination means - we had to tell them if we attend their recruitment weekend by February 22nd, so I would have assumed that they're done sending out acceptances, but...

This is off topic, but Bobb Cobb, is your screen name a Seinfeld reference? If so, may I call you The Maestro?

In fact, I prefer to be called The Maestro. biggrin.gif

Edited by Bobb Cobb

Georgetown accepted 92 people last year. Not saying they all post acceptances on this website, but two unclaimed acceptances seems a bit low to conclude that they are finished admitting students.

So, what's the deal with JHU and Colorado? JHU needs to send out their decisions already! (Please, please, please...anyone know anything about anything out there on this here forum!? :D ) And, what's the deal wth Colorado? I haven't heard anything, and, when I called, the very nice graduate admissions assistant said that I "haven't been accepted yet." Is this an unoffical waitlist?--like the results board indicates, she said, there were a handful of admits already and they will be visiting, and that I "should expect to hear by April." What does it all mean!? :P