Fall 2010 Admission Results

Here's what appears to be going on at Georgetown. I received an email sent to 24 students inviting us to a prospective students day on March 26. However, the department accepted 92 students last year. So I'm guessing that means they still have to accept another 70-odd students! The catch is that they're only likely to fund those who have received news so far (they funded 8 PhD candidates last year).

What size cohort do they usually end up with?

Here's what appears to be going on at Georgetown. I received an email sent to 24 students inviting us to a prospective students day on March 26. However, the department accepted 92 students last year. So I'm guessing that means they still have to accept another 70-odd students! The catch is that they're only likely to fund those who have received news so far (they funded 8 PhD candidates last year).

Thanks for the info ... and good luck with funding!

What is your subfield?

I received an email from USC Financial Aid asking for me to submit a supplemental form in order for them to process my application for financial aid. I find this kind of odd since I haven't been told I was accepted to USC. None of the other schools (which rejected me) have asked for any financial aid forms to be completed. Could this mean I've been accepted and not been notified yet, or am I just reading too much into it?

EDIT: It seems others have received this, as well. So, I'm going to try not to read too much into it.

Interesting development... While I've also received several USC pamphlets in the mail, one of which concerned financial aid, I have not received an email to this effect. Hopefully this is a good sign for you! Was it from POIR or the College of LAS?

I also got into the MAPSS - half scholarship (the tuition is ridiculous btw i think $43,000 a year). But with a full funding offer, its not really an option.

I completely agree - given that I have a few offers with much better funding, I'm not considering it.

Interesting development... While I've also received several USC pamphlets in the mail, one of which concerned financial aid, I have not received an email to this effect. Hopefully this is a good sign for you! Was it from POIR or the College of LAS?

It was from the Financial Aid Office. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, as I have yet to be accepted anywhere yet.

Edited by allevolve

Sorry about the Chicago rejections. :(

I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia ...

I give up on Columbia and from the way they treat applicants I decided I didn't want to go there and accepted somewhere else before hearing from them. I emailed the admissions officer who handles political science 10 days ago and he didn't get back to me. No one has picked up the phone for two weeks in their office. When I called today, I got a receptionist who takes over the phones when everyone is at lunch and he gave me the guy's private number and told me to call at 2:00pm. The guy still didn't answer his private phone and didn't return my phone message. I think they don't really care and are taking people's money and running with it.

I give up on Columbia and from the way they treat applicants I decided I didn't want to go there and accepted somewhere else before hearing from them. I emailed the admissions officer who handles political science 10 days ago and he didn't get back to me. No one has picked up the phone for two weeks in their office. When I called today, I got a receptionist who takes over the phones when everyone is at lunch and he gave me the guy's private number and told me to call at 2:00pm. The guy still didn't answer his private phone and didn't return my phone message. I think they don't really care and are taking people's money and running with it.

Indeed, I would call him back and tell him what you really think.

Indeed, I would call him back and tell him what you really think.

Yeah, that's a great idea. Call up and be rude to someone who is already drowning in voicemail, snail mail, email, etc. with people who (all perfectly innocently, but it piles up) all want to know the same thing.

Patience, folks. I know it's frustrating, but getting angry about it isn't going to help anything.

Edited by FairGame

What size cohort do they usually end up with?

Last year, only 19 enrolled out of the 92 admitted. That makes sense, since most of the students with funded offers turn down GTown in favor of higher-ranked places, and those who don't have funded offers at GTown turn it down in favor of funded offers elsewhere.

Here are the admissions statistics from last year. Looks like IR is most competitive (by far), while American accepted almost 40%(!)

What is your subfield?

Theory.

Doesn't Columbia get something like 600 applications? Is not returning phone calls from applicants such a bad thing?

Let me clarify a bit. I was accepted very early into another program and have been under a bit of pressure to accept. They were kind enough to sweeten an already good funding package for me and because of all their efforts were really expecting a reply so that if I wasn't going to take it that someone else could be funded. I called Columbia's political science department and instead of just telling me that they were still reviewing or whatever they wanted to say, they told me to consult graduate admissions because they are handling acceptances and rejections. I didn't need them to check my personal file, I just wanted to know if the acceptances and waitlists were complete. Now I need to know if I'm rejected or if I should remove my name from consideration. The person with whom I spoke at admissions today gave me this man's number and told me to call him. My problem is that I'm being given the run around when all they need to tell me is we haven't made a decision, we can't tell you about the decision, or you are officially rejected because we have already set up visiting dates and even the waitlist. I just think it's odd not to answer the phone for two weeks. What if I had a problem with my application or something.

Yeah, that's a great idea. Call up and be rude to someone who is already drowning in voicemail, snail mail, email, etc. with people who (all perfectly innocently, but it piles up) all want to know the same thing.

Patience, folks. I know it's frustrating, but getting angry about it isn't going to help anything.

By the way, I have been polite with them throughout as I work in university administration and handle applicants. However, the way applicants are being treated at Columbia would not be tolerated at my school, particulary with the insane application fee that is charged.

Looks like University of Washington just sent out rejections. Another one I've been expecting.

Sorry to hear that. sad.gif

Out of curiosity, did you receive the rejection via email - and if so - was it mass or personalized?

UPDATE: Ugh, never mind. I just received my own rejection.

Edited by gravityflyer

Sorry to hear that. sad.gif

Out of curiosity, did you receive the rejection via email - and if so - was it mass or personalized?

UPDATE: Ugh, never mind. I just received my own rejection.

Received my mass-email rejection about 20 mins ago, also.

I think Rossiya is officially my favorite internet personality ever. Can the GradCafe set up some kind of a fan page for her? ŠæŠ° руссŠŗŠ¹?

Honestly, she was kind of asking for it. This massive thread (and that one on PSJR) gives the appearance that she thinks she is too good for the programs she got into. It gives the impression she only cares about the name of the school, not the quality of the education. And its not like it was only discussed once -- she brought it up to death here, then brought it to another site.

Honestly, she was kind of asking for it. This massive thread (and that one on PSJR) gives the appearance that she thinks she is too good for the programs she got into. It gives the impression she only cares about the name of the school, not the quality of the education. And its not like it was only discussed once -- she brought it up to death here, then brought it to another site.

While I agree with some of what you are saying, we already had a civil discussion of elitism a while back. There was disagreement, and hopefully everyone was able to examine more closely what they were saying. Either way, nobody deserves to be treated with malice or ill-intent, and that is what was going on over at PSJR. That site is mostly diarrhea, and should be treated as such. There is NO reason to attempt to sabotage anyone's career, or attempt to out people on what should anonymous boards. Grant it, people should use more discretion in what they say, but this does warrant what happen. People will always have attitudes that rub others the wrong way for many reasons, but this does mean it is open season for full blown character assassination.

While I agree with some of what you are saying, we already had a civil discussion of elitism a while back. There was disagreement, and hopefully everyone was able to examine more closely what they were saying. Either way, nobody deserves to be treated with malice or ill-intent, and that is what was going on over at PSJR. That site is mostly diarrhea, and should be treated as such. There is NO reason to attempt to sabotage anyone's career, or attempt to out people on what should anonymous boards. Grant it, people should use more discretion in what they say, but this does warrant what happen. People will always have attitudes that rub others the wrong way for many reasons, but this does mean it is open season for full blown character assassination.

You talk as if she was forced to post on PSJR. A cursory view of PSJR will confirm the nastiness that you speak of, but she posted there anyway.

She even changed her name on this board because people were reacting negatively to her posts. If she had any self-awareness at all, none of this would have happened.

But I'll let it go...

You talk as if she was forced to post on PSJR. A cursory view of PSJR will confirm the nastiness that you speak of, but she posted there anyway.

She even changed her name on this board because people were reacting negatively to her posts. If she had any self-awareness at all, none of this would have happened.

But I'll let it go...

No I agree that she hasn't played the right game, but that still does not warrant the personal attacks. I just thought the people on PSJR were entirely too predatory. You are also correct that she should have known not to post there.

Edited by Bobb Cobb